Reptile Forums banner

Silver birch safe in a cornsnake viv?

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Uli 
#1 ·
I finally found a 4 x 2 x 2 viv for my cornsnake and was wondering if Silver birch branches are reptile safe? I want to put a couple of large shaped trunk sections vertically up the 2 back corners then criss-cross 2 or 3 branches from opposite corners so she has somewhere to climb and explore if she wishes. Wondered if anyone else had used them as they are quite slippery in texture?
There is a distinct lack of natural looking cornsnake vivs for inspiration,anyone got any photos? (I'm not going full bio-active,there will be changeable "bedding" material on the majority of the floor,with pebbles,rocks etc so there are different interactive materials in there.)

#2 ·
Hi Rob, I work for a landscaping company who often have to build hibernaculae for reptiles in the wild, and I can confirm that we do use birch wood in these, so ecologically they are safe. However, I would add the caveat that they should be heated in the oven to at least 150°C for an hour or so to get rid of bugs or bacteria.

Regarding the texture, I tend to agree, but as long as they don't have too far to fall, it shouldn't matter if she slips off occasionally. My hoggie seems to positively relish falling out of her climbing tree. :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the speedy response guys,have you got an overall shot of your viv HLJ?
And that's good to know its safe ember weazal apart from 1 small thing you mentioned. I don't have a big enough oven for 4 feet long branches to "cook" away the possible nasties!:gasp:
Any suggestions on a way around that? I do have use of industrial scale oxy-acetylene cutting equipment,so I could put them in a homemade "oven" and warm them that way for a while I suppose. It wouldn't be for an hour but I could achieve much higher temperatures for a shorter period of time.

#5 ·
Thanks for the speedy response guys,have you got an overall shot of your viv HLJ?
And that's good to know its safe ember weazal apart from 1 small thing you mentioned. I don't have a big enough oven for 4 feet long branches to "cook" away the possible nasties!:gasp:
Any suggestions on a way around that? I do have use of industrial scale oxy-acetylene cutting equipment,so I could put them in a homemade "oven" and warm them that way for a while I suppose. It wouldn't be for an hour but I could achieve much higher temperatures for a shorter period of time.
I use a hand held steam cleaner to surface clean branches, rocks etc before they go in my vivs. Not as comprehensive as baking them but it gets into all the nooks and crannies and gets rid of creepy crawlies and any surface "pollution". it is also brilliant for cleaning vivs and fittings generally without the use of chemicals. They can be found - with a selection of brushes and fitments - for less than £20 at places like Robert Dyas or on e-Bay and they can be used for other non- reptile related functions too.

#7 ·
I have managed to establish that no pesticides or fungicides have been used in the immediate area for at least the last 8 months,so no need to worry about that. The trees have only been felled about a fortnight so will select some appropriate pieces and leave them for the sap to dry up then do whatever treatment suits that size piece.
I have also gleaned a couple of pieces of "bog oak" with some nice holes and shapes. They will have to be steam cleaned and maybe sand blasted to bring out its best.:2thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.