Reptile Forums banner

overweight corn snake

Tags
corn snake
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Toonami 
#1 ·
hi guys been a long time since i kept snakes i moved on to monitors about 12 years ago but recently i got a few corn snakes from some one who didn't have time for them any more the oldest is a 3 year old male lovely fella puppy tame but unfortunately a tad on the chunky size hes starting to bulge at the tail end just wondering if any one can recommend a diet regime :whip: and a preferable weight for a snake of his age the other 2 are only 5 months old and are in great shape thanks for any help in advance :2thumb:

#2 ·
Are you feeding him once a week? And what are you feeding? I've know some feed rats which have more fat content then mice do. I personally use rats for the chunky snakes such as boas etc

You could feed every 2 weeks instead of once a week and see if he looses some weight. Also what's his current weight now?

Average weight for a adult corn is 450g to 500g

#6 ·
I think weight guides are quite subjective, I have adults at 530g and others at 350g, all looking healthy. I always go by the body shape rather than weights. Keep with the exercise and I would feed a large mice once a fortnight. When i'm monitoring weight I weight before a feed for every 4 feeds, calculate the mean and see when the increase/decrease is. If he hasn't lost weight over the 8-10 weeks based on fortnightly feeds change the schedule again until you see a change :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.