Reptile Forums banner

WON'T EAT female banana-California King Snake

546 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lee anderson 
#1 ·
I am kind of a newbie....I got my girl 3 months ago. She is a "banana-colored" California King Snake, around 5 years old, 38" long, etc..totally normal. Previous owner told me she had a ridiculous appetite.....but in NO way have I ever overfed her. She will spend a lot of time under her rock, but used to know when I would drop a previously frozen, thawed out mouse (or a couple) in there, and she would come out and snatch them right up..I would feed her ONCE a week on Saturdays. Things seemed fine, but now she will just pass over the mice-corpses to go hang out by her water-rock or curl around her hollow log. WHAT IS GOING ON? I am scared for her and want to be the best owner I can be....

#3 ·
It could just be the time of year and she might just be in brumation if she is a good weight then nothing to worry about for a month or two try heating the mouse up a bit or try rats as a 5 year old King should be on weaker or small rats by now one every 2 weeks you could always try a chick to get her feeding as well and as said we all need to no more info temps hot and cold end even room temp can hake a difference an what set up is she in also are you 100% sure it's female as males will be in brumtion or breeding mode this time of year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.