Reptile Forums banner

Baby green pit vipers?

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Sammie1 
#1 ·
Hey guys, one of my friends owns exotic snakes and has A Green pit viper that has laid eggs and he has offered one of the babies to me when they hatch. What all should i get in order to care for it?

#5 · (Edited)
you need to contact environmental health at your local council as youll need a DWA license for this, you fill it in answer all the questions and send it back with a checque and they will do an inspection with the local animal welfare officer and the RSPCA and if all is good theyll grant you a license

some of the question are like what would happen to the snake in an emergency, do you have someone to care for it should be away for a lenghtly period of time and if you rent a house you need permission from the landlord etcetc

hope that helps

EDIT. markihill has a point, i completely missed that.
after what louise said i realise this is most probably a troll post

#6 ·
you need to contact environmental health at your local council as youll need a DWA license for this, you fill it in answer all the questions and send it back with a checque and they will do an inspection with the local animal welfare officer and the RSPCA and if all is good theyll grant you a license

some of the question are like what would happen to the snake in an emergency, do you have someone to care for it should be away for a lenghtly period of time and if you rent a house you need permission from the landlord etcetc

hope that helps
I have doubts the OP is genuine but he isn't from the UK anyway.

#8 ·
Green pit viper could refer to any one of tens of different species. The majority of these are livebearing but some species that could conceivably be called 'green pit viper' are oviparous. If this is real(!), I would suggest declining your friend's offer. There is no point having a dangerous snake simply because you have been offered one. Also, young pitvipers are often a challenge to get feeding and require assisting. If you have no experience of safe restraint of small venomous snakes with long teeth then you are just going to put yourself and the snake at risk.

#10 ·
Is this a troll post?

I'll proceed as if it's not.
I live in Texas FWIW.

You have to get a permit through Parks and Wildlife to have it. That's from the state alone. The city may require additional permits, or not allow it at all. If you live in an HOA area, they may have permits or permissions you need to get first, or perhaps not allow it. And if you rent, your landlord may forbid it completely. If you own your home, you need to check with homeowners insurance to see if anything is covered should someone else get bit while on your property. So you have some legwork to do just to make sure you won't be fined or sued.

I think you should apprentice under someone experienced in handling venomous snakes to learn procedures and what equipment you'll need else your chances of getting bit are much higher. And you must keep anti-venom on hand. Hospitals are not going to stock anti-venom for exotic species. They'll have anti-venom for native species so something will need to be flown in which takes time. Taking some anti-venom with you to the hospital that treats for your snake's venom will certainly make a difference in how you fair should you be bitten.

#13 ·
Wow ouch guys. I'm sorry for replying late, but this is not a troll post. I have had many snakes. Boas, hognose's, corn snakes. I had one rattlesnake that was devenomized, but it did not survive long after the procedure, only about a month. I do not believe there are any laws prohibiting me from purchasing one of these, but after reading all these replies i do not think i should take one

#19 ·
devenomized,
Just No, in a word No. that is cruel unnecessary and unless you physically remove the teeth, the snake wouldnt have been devenomised as you put it

Lol just as a side question, do people from UK think that texans are pistol-wielding horseback riders? Because some of us believe that englishmen are crumpet-eating teaback riders that eat crumpets and ride teacups and such
and i spoke to a guy from texas on a social media account where he posted pictures of how he shot a rattle snake just for being there. to which point about 30 people also from texas got involved and all had the same idea that if they see a snake, whether it be rat snake or rattle snake, they would shoot it, or kill it in several horrible ways

now ill just point out this group is called RFUK. not RFUS

#16 ·
I'm native to the Texas region and still live here.

You have to get a permit from parks and wildlife.
Then you'll have to check with your city to make sure you don't need a permit.
Then, if you're in a home and live in an HOA area, you need to check with the HOA to see if it's allowed. You'll also need to check your homeowners insurance because if someone else is bitten on your property, you could be sued.

If you rent, you need to check with your landlord. If you're in an apartment complex, I doubt they'll let you have it but check anyway.

And if all of that goes through, you should apprentice with someone who handles venomous snakes so you learn the valuable information you'll need. You'll also need to keep the antivenom on hand because local hospitals will not have it for snakes that aren't common to the region. They may have to fly the antivenom from somewhere and it could take longer than your limb or life would take to perish.

#22 ·
What a shame that the only really informative posts came from a fellow Texan. :whistling2:

You have such a fantastic assortment of native colubrids to choose from, I don't know why you would even bother with "exotics"?
That is, of course, only an opinion!. : victory:

#23 ·
Well, I sort of fit the stereotype. I have a few guns. I used to have a horse. Still wear boots and I say "y'all".

However, I don't go shooting snakes, what we call "rattlers" or others. I studied biology in college and know how well nature is at balancing herself. If you have a lot of snakes, well then you have a rodent problem most likely.

We had a kingsnake that moved in about the time we started noticing mice. I knew he'd get them in check, wouldn't kill anyone on accident and so he was welcome to stay.

Venomous snakes that might end up around the house would get captured and relocated by someone experienced in handling them. Once I did have a friend who found a copperhead and decided he needed a hatband. RIP copperhead.
However, once the kingsnake moved in, I didn't see any more copperheads or rattlesnakes around the barn or house. Funny how that works, huh?

We have educated people, educated ******** and ********. ******** and educated ******** are more fun to talk about and so they take the spotlight. You have them in the UK, you just call them by a different name and, due to different laws and society, they do different stupid things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.