Reptile Forums banner

I found this, anyone wanna discuss..............?

939 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Paul F 
#1 ·
' Your snake should accept
food that has been dusted with supplement powders
containing calcium. Alternatively, liquid drops may be
added to the water.'

it doesn't matter where i found it

#9 ·
I do, about twice a year, with a calcium/ vitamin reptile supplement suitable for snakes, rubbed into mouse's fur ( and mouth ).I read about supplementing couple of times, when doing my research before buying my first snake - I think Kathy Love does for their corn snakes before/during breeding season...

I think as long as it's not done too often, and you don't overdose, it can only be helpful, especially calcium during breeding season.

In nature, the snakes would eat much larger variety of animals ( that in turn would have eaten much more varied food than lab mice ), so it's quite possible they aren't getting all that they would in wild.

#10 ·
I occasionally supplement, but primarily it's for breeders and fast growing babies. Those are the ones that are likely to need it most.

IMO, extra calcium is unnecessary for rodent eating snakes. At best, extra calcium is eliminated in the droppings. At worst, it gets deposited in the tissues and produces problems like gout.

My preference is a good bird liquid multivitamin injected into a dead food animal's belly. A bird vitamin because both reptiles and birds metabolize vitamin D3 than D2, which is the type in human multiple vitamins. And in a dead food animal because dosage is easier to control than when placed in the water.

Here is a link about vitamin B1 deficiency in fish eating snakes:
All About Thiaminase - Gartersnake.info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.