Reptile Forums banner

Male Red Tail Boa...

3K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  BenjiBrutal 
#1 ·
So I'm looking into getting a Red Tail Boa soon, preferably a male. Can I see your adult males please?

Also what are your experiences with them? Temperament? Feeding? How big has yours got?

Also, would 6 x 2 x 2 be big enough? Only because someone close to me is selling one so it'd be a step in the right direction haha :)

Thanking you.

#2 ·
that size viv is perfect for a boa
if its a young boa though just pack it out so it feels more secure
temperament wise, i always describe boas as very unpredictable, can be fine for 99% of the time and one day they could just switch

my BCI is 12foot and is generally fine, 99% of the time :)
i find with boas, after a while, you get to know your snake, for example, its easy for me to tell if mine doesnt want to be picked up

boas are fantastic snakes to have just always remember if you get bitten, it was probably your fault and not the boas but generally, with the right care, will be beauty of a snake to handle and keep :)

#18 ·
Agree with the advice of packing out a large viv if you cant go from a smaller viv to adult enclosure! Ive yearlings straight into a 5x2x2 and find that if they have suitable hides (small) and cover they have no issues at all!

I wouldn't say they are unpredictable at all!! Quite the opposite I find. Only time you need to watch the space is at feed time.

Id also love to see this 12 foot BCI please. :flrt:

#4 ·
My female can be a bit viv defensive but once out is generally fine.

A bite from a baby or juvenile is not a massive deal but an adult can deliver a good whack that's quite painful. It's important not to be complacent when working with boa's.

They can suffer bad sheds if the humidity isn't increased sufficiently once you notice they are in pre-shed.

They are also very strong and if they don't feel secure they can wrap themselves around you very tightly.

In general though if handled and kept properly they are great pets, most being inquisitive and appreciative of opportunities to explore life outside of the viv.

I wouldn't recommend a boa as a first snake, but are great once you've broken your duck with a smaller species, say Royal or a colubrid such as a corn or a milk snake etc..

#9 ·
I adore boas, my most favourite snakes. I have a male but he's not a adult yet but is puppy dog tame. I know people will have different opinions on whether they are a good snake to have if you've never owned a snake before but this is MY opinion and not taking away from other people's opinion.

If this is your first snake then no, I wouldn't start off with a boa.... majority of them are calm and placid but there is always exceptions to the rule obviously and boas can sometimes be unpredictable.

My female is also still a baby and I'd say 6 out of 10 she's p*ssy and not as docile and friendly as my male even though she is handled 3-4 times a week. Boas can also be over powering if one day they decide to throw a strop LOL

I'm not saying you shouldn't own one just giving you heads up of how they CAN be sometimes and sometimes can be unfortunate (like me LOL) to get one with a little attitude ;)

#12 ·
I've got a Suriname red tail male. He is 5 years old this year and about 6ft long. He is mostly timid but can be a bit of a moody git haha. Generally a great snake and my 3 year old loves watching him.

I've only ever had problems with food when I tried to feed him a guinea pig. He refused but never had problems with rats.

Hope that helps
John

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

#25 ·

Not my boa obviously..but a giant 12/14ft wc..i have also seen pics of gus rentfros 14ft peru

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: **louise**
#26 ·
it would appear i dont have any pictures of her this year, but rfuk works on my phone. so ive put these on for now and will have more up to date ones later on. the ones in this album have been taken all within the last 3 years

Reptile Forums - BenjiBrutal's Album: Boa

#28 ·
Gorgeous boa but she doesn't look no where near 13ft in those pics. She must have grown loads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.