Reptile Forums banner

Carpet or Royal Python?

3K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  jessykai 
#1 ·
Ok so I read a similar post to this but it was from over 5 years ago and I believe opinions have changed on both carpets and royals? So here goes...
I recently got my very first snake (late December). As some will know from my previous posts he's a 4ft male who has caused me a few problems (mainly down to me being too hasty and buying him a little too quickly :bash:)... anyway he still hasn't eaten but as he remains at a stable weight and is healthy other than being inactive I am putting this down to a breeding season fast and continue to attempt to tempt him with different prey, and will be placing some local countryside (logs) into his viv in an attempt to get him active.. Anyway I've wondered off...
I have most definitely have caught 'the bug' and already want another snake... I will stress now that I plan on waiting until I am confident my current snake is at least eating for me or is active as I do not want others thinking I have 'given up' on him and am moving on to another! :gasp:
So do I go for a carpet or another royal? I would like a snake that's a bit more active/on display and happy to be handled with out stressing out...And maybe something thats a little larger than my current snake... That led me to an Irian Jaya or a Jungle CP, but I have read people who say their IJ's have maxed out at 4.5/5 ft? Not much bigger than my royal :blush:
I've also read that people recommend that you get Carpet's as sub-adult/adults as then you get a good idea of what colours they'll be? As I got my royal as an adult I would really like a hatchling next so I can watch their growth and development. How easy are carpets to tame? I've heard IJ's are calmer and jungles are more snappy even as adults, but have also read many people contradict this and say they're both similar in temperament? Anyone got first hand experience with both?
I currently live with my parents as I save up for my own place with my other half... space is not an issue and I'd love to get a hatchling royal as well as a carpet but my Mum will only allow one more snake... I've had to do a lot of begging for my first let alone my second :blush:
So basically I need peoples experiences on Jungle and IJ carpet's, temperaments, sizes, anybody know any good breeders of both carpet or royal (I live in Cornwall). What do people prefer? Royal or Carpet Python?
Sorry for the long post.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't know much about Carpet pythons apart reading somewhere that Jungles or Jungle Jags can suffer from WOBBLE ....

It is the Jag gene that carries the neuro issues - I have rehomed several with varying degrees of symptoms but normal Jungles are great little snakes and as robust as any other small python.. I have several as well as Irian Jaya, Diamond/ Jungle crosses and Bredl's.

I would recommend carpets or Bredls to anyone looking for a robust, active snake that stays a manageable size. The OP is likely to see much more of a Carpet than a Royal - especially if their viv offers lots of opportunities to climb.

#8 ·
All depends what you want from the snake.

People say royals just hide or ball up, but I read an article in a reptile magazine that offered various royals things to climb on, levels and also a wide gradient.
They were always out and exploring.

I've also known some carpets to be shy, so what I would do is find a reptile shop, look at them, find one that's active and enjoys exploring, they can vary and you will only know by looking around and seeing how they act.
It's just a shame 99% of shops have there royals in racks, (penfolds have loads in vivariums) and they always seem active.

#11 ·
Carpet python all day long.

If you want larger carpet then go for a female jungle or a jag/coastal.

You can get a jag for the same price as a jungle these days and both lovely snakes.

I don't worry too much about end colour. I dont want a bright yellow snake anyway as it just looks unnatural. Just go for a pattern you like.

Carpets are still nocturnal but if like me you fit remote control runnable led lights you can have them on bright white in the day and a dull red at night for viewing. My jag comes out under the red light. He's only 18" so still hides a bit in the day but will hide less as she grows. She could hit ten feet as an adult but will stay slim and easy to handle.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

#21 ·
If you want larger carpet then go for a female jungle or a jag/coastal.
He's only 18" so still hides a bit in the day but will hide less as she grows. She could hit ten feet as an adult but will stay slim and easy to handle.

And don't just go from what your local shop has. I'm sure you can mail order snakes these days or even look on preloved or gumtree for people that have hatched a clutch of eggs. I got my jag this way and paid £40 for her. I was offered two for £60. They're £120 in my local reptile shop.
Your's is still quite small then, how do you find its temperament as a youngster? I've been told jungles and jags/coastals can be quite bad tempered and still strike happy as adults?
Good advice about the shops! I definitely paid over the odds for my Royal o have learnt my lesson! I may just use local shops to get a feel for handling them though as I haven't actually seen a carpet in the flesh let alone handled one!

You think Carpet pythons are dull ? :)
Can I ask why you are so fond of Royals? I wanted to hear from both carpet keepers and royals : victory:

:whistling2:

Wow! s/he is stunning! What locality is s/he? :flrt:

#12 ·
And don't just go from what your local shop has. I'm sure you can mail order snakes these days or even look on preloved or gumtree for people that have hatched a clutch of eggs. I got my jag this way and paid £40 for her. I was offered two for £60. They're £120 in my local reptile shop.

#24 ·
My male Bredls

My female bredls

My bredls x diamond

A couple of my other carpets

But, given the chance, royals can also be lovely and fairly active snakes (although I must admit, even my most active royal isn't as active as my laziest carpet)

lol, all i could think about when i saw that second picture is the story that every reptile keeper has heard

' my snake was on my bed and the vet said it was sizing me up ready to eat me'

:)

#25 ·
Well my first carpet was very snappy but my jag has never struck at me. Personally I'd prefer a snappy one over a calm hatchling as you will have no issues feeding. My jag is not very aggressive and sometimes takes a while to strike at the food , where my first jungle carpet would just go straight for the kill no messing.

Do not let the snappiness put you off. Honestly the bite from a small carpet is not even as bad as scratching your hand on a bramble Bush. You don't really even bleed. Handle frequently for short periods and it will get used to you going in for it. The defensive snapiness will soon subside. Once adults they are very calm and I've never heard of a n adult carpet being snappy as an adult if handled frequently.

#27 ·
I can't speak for carpets, but I think ball pythons can be quite active. Or maybe my little one is one of the active ones, but she'll rarely stay still. She doesn't move too fast but she wouldn't sit still. I put her on my bed and she fell off... two times actually. I do like carpets though, and I want one in the future. I'd probably get a carpet.

0.1 Super pastel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.