Reptile Forums banner

Snowflake Supreme Substrate

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  **louise** 
#1 ·
im gonna be moving two vivs into the living room to display and was looking for a substrate thats NOT aspin one of the snakes im moving has had an allergic reaction to aspin so i was wondering does anyone use this? and also would this cause an allergy like aspin? it will be a corn and a king who are the only two i have that like to burrow.

Also im not sure the price and things of this stuff so ive found this one on amazon is this a normal price? and how many vivs will 20kg do the vivs are 3 and 4 ft incase i need to buy 2

Snowflake Supreme Shavings Horse Bedding Bale 20Kg: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

#2 ·
Pine is a softwood. So I'd leave it as you don't know what soft woods are used.

#3 ·
im gonna be moving two vivs into the living room to display and was looking for a substrate thats NOT aspin one of the snakes im moving has had an allergic reaction to aspin so i was wondering does anyone use this? and also would this cause an allergy like aspin? it will be a corn and a king who are the only two i have that like to burrow.

Also im not sure the price and things of this stuff so ive found this one on amazon is this a normal price? and how many vivs will 20kg do the vivs are 3 and 4 ft incase i need to buy 2

Snowflake Supreme Shavings Horse Bedding Bale 20Kg: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
Avoid pine shavings as the resin can cause problems - try Megazorb - my dry substrate burrowers all like it and it is great for spot cleaning. It is no use for anything that likes damp substrate though as it smells funny and does not do well when damp.

#4 ·
I changed over to lignocel over 18 months ago and am very pleased with it, good for burrowers and great for spot cleaning, only down side is it does have a tendency to get every where so always have the Hoover out :lol2:

#5 ·
I've been using snowflake for around a year now. No issues with resins, dust tec. It doesn't smell like pine, and the snakes love it as they can compact it down, or burrow through it. I've not seen any issues when ingested with food, and is as absorbent as any other wood based product. Best bit is that a 20kg bale lasts for ages !

#6 ·
After using many different substrates I have found Lignocel to be the best. Looks good, very absorbant, can take any amount of spraying and doesn't go mouldy. Not dusty either like many of the other substrates. More expensive than most but definately worth it.

#9 ·
There has been several posts and articles where people have found that small particle material such as Lingocel, and to a degree Aspen can become a problem due to it's clumping when damp, with posts advising others to avoid it as it appears to cause breathing issues if the snake happens to get a mouth full of the stuff whilst feeding. Others have also said that Lignocel can also cause a dry environment as it removes humidity from the air.

Having said that for every post that warns of issues there are those that say they never had a problem, so really it's down to personal preference. In the wild I'm sure snakes will ingest leaf, dirt and twigs that get stuck to the prey in the course of being eaten. Like I mentioned, my snakes have ingested snowflake flakes and no harm has come to them. They still eat, poo drink and do everything else snakes normally do. That's not to say it's the "Ideal" substrate, just that I prefer it over other wood products I've used in the course of keeping snakes for 30 years. To be honest I don't think there is any "ideal" or "perfect" substrate as they all have their pro's and Con's.

#8 ·
I'll have a check of the others mentioned I'm not to bothered about the mess its just any irritation caused to me snakes since one had a reaction to aspin I've kept them on paper towels but then I feel guilty because two of them were always burrowing so I'm trying to find a safersubstrate I'll check them all out thanks everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.