Reptile Forums banner

BLUE Tree Python

24K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  ZanderP 
#1 ·
ok, i have recently been looking at Blue g.t.p's is this a colour phase or morph of some sort, do just the young have it or will the adults keep this colour?

I saw them on a poster at Hamm and have looked everywere for one since geting back, what is the cost of one of these stunning animals?
Jake : victory:

ENJOY....

See less See more
#5 ·
Be careful, some people will pass a hormonal female off as a blue morph. Females tend to go a bluish colour when they are ovulating. sometimes this hormonal change is permanent, sometimes not. Aru locale specimens tend to display a high proportion of blue in their colouration. Check out some of Greg Maxwell's collection, especially "Mojo". A true ontogenic blue chondro is a rarity and will severely drain your bank account if you can find someone who is willing to part with it

#7 ·
Be careful, some people will pass a hormonal female off as a blue morph. Females tend to go a bluish colour when they are ovulating. sometimes this hormonal change is permanent, sometimes not. Aru locale specimens tend to display a high proportion of blue in their colouration. Check out some of Greg Maxwell's collection, especially "Mojo". A true ontogenic blue chondro is a rarity and will severely drain your bank account if you can find someone who is willing to part with it
Spot on!

In general terms there are two types of "blue" green tree python;

Hormonal - These are females that turn a bluish colour as a result of hormonal changes linked to the breeding process.

Ontogenic - These are snakes that turn blue as part of the colour change process that green tree pythons go through. Some of these chondros turn blue after changing to the more normal green colour, and some (the so called "Super Blues") turn straight to blue from their baby colour.

I know of one or two hormonal blue females being kept in the UK. I doubt you'd get the owners to part with them but you'd probably have to offer well in excess of £1000 just to get them to take you seriously. With regards to ontogenic blues, I don't know of any being kept in the UK. The ones in the States sell for thousands of $ each.

cheers

Stuart

#11 ·
I have to agree with Stuart here these animals are extremely rare and very expencive. I know of a single pair in the UK and a few in europe, even babies from the parents that still are waiting to go through there Ontogenic change sell for 2500 euro and they may never hold there parents colour.

We were offered a WC pair a year ago and the seller wanted £15,000 for the both of them.

Victoria

#22 ·
wow - you have a blue snake!

(I've only seen plastic toy blue snakes!)

#31 ·
All that talk about them being vicious and freak out when handled comes from when there was only wild caught specimens and few captive bred ones. Now there is so many cb specimens that it is purely down to the snake and the way u go anout handling them.
The only thing i can say is that if ur going to handle them then DO NOT!!
try at night time. This is then they hunt and anything moving near them is likely to be thought of as food.
The man i got my yearling from said you can handle it but be prepared to be bitten and nearly a year later. Not so much as a strike towards me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.