Reptile Forums banner

Is this silicone OK to use??

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Sharpman 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have some clear Evo-Stick Multi Purpose Silicone Sealant, will this be OK for sealing around the joints of my Viv I have just built which will house my Corn? It says on the tube, not for Aquaria use, is this because Its no good being permantantly submerged, or because its poisinous?

I know aquariam silicone is available, but was just wondering if this would be ok as I already have it, obviously if theres a risk of it being poisinous I wont use it. Thanks..: victory:

#5 ·
Normal bathroom silicone sealent has a fungicide in it to reduce mould growth.

If you use normal sealent, make sure you let it cure and any fumes evapourate.

You will notice a vinegary smell, when the smell has gone it should be safe to use unless ingested.

#13 ·
i would leave it a good week myself , thats what i normally do as the vapours can hang around and alot of herps have better sense of smell when we do ( especially snakes ) so even if you cant smell it they probably can

in the past ive used aqaurium and normal silicone sealant and both seem just as good as the other as long as you leave it long enough to cure

Kev

#9 ·
Probably not even that long mate,depending on how thick you've put it on, the silicone should be pretty solid within ~12 hours.
But if I were you i'd leave it for a few days minimum(2-4days) if you can, but the longer the better really, just make sure there is no excess silicone on the edges you have sealed.. if there is, trim it back to the main seal with a stanley blade or something similar.

#12 ·
My bro used Aquarium Sealant by Dow Corning on mine. Still lets off a strong odour for a few days afterwards mind, so i would definitely leave putting anything in there for a week or so!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.