Moving my Royal from Viv to RUB... - Page 5 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 01-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
in a zoo and in a barn is not a wild forest.

ed
That's neither here nor there- they're large adult boas & they climb of their own choice. & the ones in barns on Central & South American farms ARE in the wild- they find their own way onto the farmlands & into the barns & stay there to hunt rodents- & most are found up in the haylofts, not on the barn floor. Therefore, boas are never too heavy to climb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Premier Member

a barn in the middle of a rainforest is still a structure, a structure with an unusual food concentration and ease of access, what else would u expect.

ed

ps i never said they suddenly became incapable of climbing? it doesn't change the fact a boa becomes more terrestrial as adults than neonates

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
That's neither here nor there- they're large adult boas & they climb of their own choice. & the ones in barns on Central & South American farms ARE in the wild- they find their own way onto the farmlands & into the barns & stay there to hunt rodents- & most are found up in the haylofts, not on the barn floor. Therefore, boas are never too heavy to climb.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 01-05-2017 at 10:39 AM..
Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
a barn in the middle of a rainforest is still a structure, a structure with an unusual food concentration and ease of access, what else would u expect.

ed

ps i never said they suddenly became incapable of climbing?
You did, you included them among snakes that climb until they get too heavy to do so. I simply pointed out that that doesn't apply to boas, & gave examples.
I will concur however, that the adults are less arboreal than the juveniles, & that the adults found above ground are not found as high up as the juveniles.

Last edited by wilkinss77; 01-05-2017 at 10:43 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Premier Member

They, the 145, are good in a rack on heavy duty sliding extensions. u have to cut of those annoying top tabs if u want them lidless though.

when their internally lit their surprisingly transparent.

rgds
ed

QUOTE=Sylvi;12810497]Going back to RUB sizes for a mo, the 70ltr and 145ltr both have the same floor space as we all know. The 145ltr is a lovely RUB with height for adding substrate, hides and branches. It even takes a small dog basket which makes a hide and a shelf. The 70ltr I found too shallow for larger snakes like Royals but was fab for Colubrids like Corns, Milks etc But they are heavy when in use and large to move about especially if you have short arms!!![/QUOTE]
Sylvi likes this.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 01-05-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Premier Member

i did not mean they lost the ability to climb, i assumed that was obvious, obviously not

ed

ed=wilkinss77;12810545]You did, you included them among snakes that climb until they get too heavy to do so. I simply pointed out that that doesn't apply to boas, & gave examples.[/QUOTE]
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Postaholic Member
Default Moving my Royal from Viv to RUB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvi View Post
Going back to RUB sizes for a mo, the 70ltr and 145ltr both have the same floor space as we all know. The 145ltr is a lovely RUB with height for adding substrate, hides and branches. It even takes a small dog basket which makes a hide and a shelf. The 70ltr I found too shallow for larger snakes like Royals but was fab for Colubrids like Corns, Milks etc But they are heavy when in use and large to move about especially if you have short arms!!!

Well I can see a few benefits of using rubs ... easier to maintain humidity and much easier to clean I'm guessing BUT there can be no comparison with observing a fabulous looking and interesting snake in a Viv set up ... Maybe it's just me but I certainly notice the subtle changes in behaviour etc etc .. I wouldn't get any of that if they are out of sight in RUBs - wouldn't get any of the pleasure either .

I love doing the rounds in our house , I have most of the vivs in the dedicated snake room upstairs but there are a few others dotted around the house , I reckon I glimpse into each snake room based Viv at least 5 times every day , I check the snake room every time I go upstairs . The others maybe 20 times a day , they are all pretty active 24/7 display snakes though . Rhino Nose Ratnsnake , SD Purple Albino Retic and the Imperial Pueblan ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
loxocemus, Sylvi and ASemper like this.

Last edited by Zincubus; 01-05-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Old 01-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Premier Member

for royals (or virtually any other species), if ur torn between between tub or viv then there is another option, the drawer cage Applegate Reptiles Breeding Facilities for Reptiles and Rodents it offers the best of both worlds, literally.

http://www.applegatereptiles.com/about/old-d-cages.jpg

http://www.applegatereptiles.com/about/ocd-w-pyro.jpg

its essentially a cage with a hole in the floor leading to a drawer, iv used cat trays and plant trays for drawers (their rounded internal corners make them easy to clean), there's a heatmat under the back of the drawer, if u keep pairs together it allows split feeding (one in the drawer one in the upper cage), i used short access pipes, the type with the screw on cap http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/imag...Access_Cap.jpg as the entry point between the upper and lower compartments.

id also recommend hinged frame doors over sliding but thats just a minor design tweak and totally not necessary. a nice tweak for sliding doors is one large cage split down the middle with a midwall, into two separate cages, but retaining the one pair of doors, this means one door allows complete access to the entire cage front of each side, iv done this before and it works very well and is a lot less work than framed hinged windows.

ps the entry point has to be at the front of the cage, to prevent injury to a snake moving between levels when the drawer is opened. the upper compartment can be any height u wish, from terrestrial to arboreal, but the larger the upper compartment the more likely it will need its own separate heating.

rgds
ed
wilkinss77 and Zincubus like this.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 01-05-2017 at 01:19 PM..
Old 01-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Premier Member

ps

i made a small cage of this design using black rubs as the drawers but i forget the species it was built for, baroni loxos rhinos or mehelya maybe, but there is one quirk i should mention if the drawers contain humid material and are heated, the moisture condenses on the underside of the subfloor. so before the false/sub floor is fixed in place the underside (or both sides) should be covered in either heavy duty self adhesive vinyl or thin shower wall pvc (vinyl is much cheaper and much easier to work with), this makes the cage much more durable in the long-term, this is especially for melamine faced boards commonly used in viv construction as they will eventually bubble and degrade in the constant presence of moisture.

it should be noted that virtually any "regular" cage can be retrofitted into a drawer cage design, the cage bottom is drilled for the entry holes (the cut edge should be varnished or epoxy'd) and is then either simply sat on (with dowels for alignment) or fixed to a separately built drawer assembly. in this way any off the shelf viv can be converted into a drawer cage quite cheaply.

one cage can have two (or more) drawers not just one, one can be heated and one left unheated (or warmed to a lesser degree), one can be dry and one moist, and any combination, variation thereof.

rgds
ed

i had a bank of three that i made for corns, i knocked out all the subwalls so it was 5ft'ish feet long with 3 subfloor heated drawers and used it for haitan boas, for a semi arboreal i could not get them out of the drawers, incredibly shy. i just remembered this because all three drawers were identical (they shared the same heatstrip) but i would fill each drawer with a different media and different moisture content and watch for choices, i wanted to see if they had preferences, they did, but iv long forgotten my little lab experiments results sadly, but it was fun testing it all out.

edQUOTE=loxocemus;12810673]for royals (or virtually any other species), if ur torn between between tub or viv then there is another option, the drawer cage Applegate Reptiles Breeding Facilities for Reptiles and Rodents it offers the best of both worlds, literally.

http://www.applegatereptiles.com/about/old-d-cages.jpg

http://www.applegatereptiles.com/about/ocd-w-pyro.jpg

its essentially a cage with a hole in the floor leading to a drawer, iv used cat trays and plant trays for drawers (their rounded internal corners make them easy to clean), there's a heatmat under the back of the drawer, if u keep pairs together it allows split feeding (one in the drawer one in the upper cage), i used short access pipes, the type with the screw on cap http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/imag...Access_Cap.jpg as the entry point between the upper and lower compartments.

id also recommend hinged frame doors over sliding but thats just a minor design tweak and totally not necessary. a nice tweak for sliding doors is one large cage split down the middle with a midwall, into two separate cages, but retaining the one pair of doors, this means one door allows complete access to the entire cage front of each side, iv done this before and it works very well and is a lot less work than framed hinged windows.

ps the entry point has to be at the front of the cage, to prevent injury to a snake moving between levels when the drawer is opened. the upper compartment can be any height u wish, from terrestrial to arboreal, but the larger the upper compartment the more likely it will need its own separate heating.

rgds
ed[/QUOTE]
wilkinss77 likes this.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 01-05-2017 at 02:06 PM..
Old 01-05-2017, 01:59 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Well I can see a few benefits of using rubs ... easier to maintain humidity and much easier to clean I'm guessing BUT there can be no comparison with observing a fabulous looking and interesting snake in a Viv set up ... Maybe it's just me but I certainly notice the subtle changes in behaviour etc etc .. I wouldn't get any of that if they are out of sight in RUBs - wouldn't get any of the pleasure either .

I love doing the rounds in our house , I have most of the vivs in the dedicated snake room upstairs but there are a few others dotted around the house , I reckon I glimpse into each snake room based Viv at least 5 times every day , I check the snake room every time I go upstairs . The others maybe 20 times a day , they are all pretty active 24/7 display snakes though . Rhino Nose Ratnsnake , SD Purple Albino Retic and the Imperial Pueblan ...

imageimageimage

imageimage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree That's why my RUB's are in the loft full of items that need to be stored and I have 7 snakes in 7 vivs. It's also easier for my snake 'sitter' when I'm away on holiday, he can cope with sliding doors better than clip tops!
I keep the RUB's though as they are good if you need something in a hurry.
wilkinss77 and Zincubus like this.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 PM
Premier Member

For me I just can's see the logic in spending a small fortune for that high end stunning looking morph, or a striking pretty natural patterned wild snake that's not often seen in the trade, only to shove it in a draw out of sight - Just seems Bonkers !
wilkinss77, Zincubus, rita and 1 others like this.

Malc