RUB & Heatmat - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Super Regular
Default RUB & Heatmat

So I have to do some work to one of my snake's vivariums as per my 'Easy Vent' post.

I have purchased a RUB to house them in temporarily. I have never used one of these and I see a lot of conflicting information on the web regarding the two.

I've come to a concrete conclusion that the Heatmat goes underneath the RUB on the outside.

My question is - Does the RUB and Heatmat require a gap between the two, and if so - how can this be achieved? I assume it's also safe to put the Heatmat straight onto a wooden surface, similar to how you'd place it inside the vivarium?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Gold Star Member

Place the rub on the heat mat so that half the rub covers one panel of the mat, so that the rub has a cool end and a warm end. IMO I would remove any feet or mouldings that raise the rub off a flat surface, so that the base of the rub sits flat against the panel on the mat.

Place the probe from the thermostat in the middle of the other uncovered panel and tape it down. Now use an IR temperature gun (doesn't have to be an expensive one) to read the temperature of the base of the rub in the centre of the panel that is covered. Adjust the thermostat's dial until the temperature of the base of the rub over the mats panel reaches the ideal hot spot temperature for the species of snake (a ball park figure would be 30c as it's not a permanent housing.

If you can change the vents in the viv in an afternoon, then I wouldn't go to this extreme, just bag the snakes in pillow cases and place them somewhere where they won't fall off. The average room temperature at the moment is typically low to mid 20's (c) so no real harm will come to the snake if it doesn't have access to a hot spot for several hours, which should be long enough to allow you to effect the repairs / modifications you wish to make.
efcseany likes this.

Malc

Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Place the rub on the heat mat so that half the rub covers one panel of the mat, so that the rub has a cool end and a warm end. IMO I would remove any feet or mouldings that raise the rub off a flat surface, so that the base of the rub sits flat against the panel on the mat.

Place the probe from the thermostat in the middle of the other uncovered panel and tape it down. Now use an IR temperature gun (doesn't have to be an expensive one) to read the temperature of the base of the rub in the centre of the panel that is covered. Adjust the thermostat's dial until the temperature of the base of the rub over the mats panel reaches the ideal hot spot temperature for the species of snake (a ball park figure would be 30c as it's not a permanent housing.

If you can change the vents in the viv in an afternoon, then I wouldn't go to this extreme, just bag the snakes in pillow cases and place them somewhere where they won't fall off. The average room temperature at the moment is typically low to mid 20's (c) so no real harm will come to the snake if it doesn't have access to a hot spot for several hours, which should be long enough to allow you to effect the repairs / modifications you wish to make.
Thanks for that, Malc - that's extremely helpful. I did read that a gap is needed between the RUB & Heatmat to allow airflow? I have no objections placing the RUB directly on the Heatmat as it's not raised anyway - I'd just prefer it not overheating (yes, I'm aware that they can withstand temperatures of up to 80c, but surely it could end up warping the plastic?)

Why would you want it to cover just one panel? Couldn't you cover both panels and still stick the probe to it, or would that effectively raise the RUB?

I'd say it's probably a few hours work realistically, but I'm not sure how long they can effectively go without 'heat' and just suffice with room temperatures of about 24c?

If I can get away with just keeping her in the RUB without plugging the Heatmat in for say, 2 hours - then that's not an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Gold Star Member

The reason I suggest using one panel for the probe and the other side for the rub is that it allows the rub to have a better contact with the mat surface. The centre of the mat is the hottest part, so placing the probe there makes sense.

80C - don't know where you read / heard that but that is far too hot for any snake to endure.

If the work is only going to take 2hr - 4hr then just bag them up. They can go longer. I've had mine bagged up for 8 hours whilst I performed an rewire to the bank of vivs and installed a new thermostat system. Snakes can withstand 22c longer than hotter temperatures, and once you have completed the work and brought the vivs back to temperature, they will then be able to warm up so it won't be a problem
efcseany likes this.

Malc

Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
The reason I suggest using one panel for the probe and the other side for the rub is that it allows the rub to have a better contact with the mat surface. The centre of the mat is the hottest part, so placing the probe there makes sense.

80C - don't know where you read / heard that but that is far too hot for any snake to endure.

If the work is only going to take 2hr - 4hr then just bag them up. They can go longer. I've had mine bagged up for 8 hours whilst I performed an rewire to the bank of vivs and installed a new thermostat system. Snakes can withstand 22c longer than hotter temperatures, and once you have completed the work and brought the vivs back to temperature, they will then be able to warm up so it won't be a problem
Sorry, the 80c was referring to the RUB (before it starts to melt)!

I'll just place her in the RUB without any heat for the time being then, and if I feel like it's going to be any longer, I'll perform what you've stated.

I appreciate the help

Old 08-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efcseany View Post
Sorry, the 80c was referring to the RUB (before it starts to melt)!

I'll just place her in the RUB without any heat for the time being then, and if I feel like it's going to be any longer, I'll perform what you've stated.

I appreciate the help
What snake is it? And how long will it be out of the viv?

Old 08-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
What snake is it? And how long will it be out of the viv?
It's one of my corns, Ian. I'd estimate her being out of the vivarium for about 2-3 hours?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efcseany View Post
It's one of my corns, Ian. I'd estimate her being out of the vivarium for about 2-3 hours?
Just place it in a pillow case and place a folded towel in the RUB and place the bagged snake on that. It will be fine for an afternoon, and gives you plenty of time to do the repair / modifications to the viv
cubby1976 likes this.

Malc