Advice! Snake Refunds? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 18-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Egg
Default Advice! Snake Refunds?

Bit of a situation some advice would be great.

I sold a male adult Royal Python a few months ago. Lovely snake but I was rehoming my royals as concentrating on my boids and trying to find enough time in the day to finish my studies.

No issues or problems with him just a straightforward snake and a consistent eater. Previous owner also never had problems with him. Good weight etc and in great condition. He went with his setup the only thing I did not include was a thermostat as needed to keep it back.

Now the bloke who had him assured me he was knowledgable etc and it seemed like a good home. I got a call a couple of months again saying he would not eat and looked in poor condition. I fired the usual questions about husbandry and found he had been letting him ROAM the house for hours and overnight. I explained how that is far too long for him to be out as they need heat and to cut down on the handling till he has settled in. Any concerns go to a vet or his local reptile shop for advice and any more problems give me a call. I still have a photo of the snake before he left my care in perfect condition. He got fairly irate and was very curt and put the phone down. Didn't hear anything else.

Now today I got a really nasty phone call from him. I was called a (among other horrible things) a conning b*tch the usual rubbish and was told how he was going to put me all over the internet. I offered a token refund and offered to pick up the snake at my own expense and bring him back with me but was hurled a load of abuse at. I tried to explain how I would be trying to rectify whatever he had done as a token of good faith.

This really upset me. I'm not a business and this was a private sale. I don't mind having him back as he really was a lovely boy but the threats and language have left me at a loss. Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

A few months ago.....no. No refund.
Old 18-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Ultra Citizen

Sold as seen! Do not allow yourself to be bullied but at the same time don't allow, what sounds like an idiot to mistreat animals!

I do not argue with fools as from the outside no one knows who is who.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Egg

Thanks for the response.

It's just really upsetting as we all try to do our best for our animals and to be threatened and spoken to like that really shocked me. I kept calm and didn't retaliate but my god why would you talk to someone like that! I would understand if I had misled someone or lied but it was a very honest sale of a really sweet straightforward snake. I even left him all my contact info etc as wanted to keep in touch.

Maybe I'm a bit of a pansy but I have been stressing all day about it. :/
Old 18-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Premier Member

You have done nothing wrong and have no need to offer a refund. This was a healthy snake, feeding well. The issue is the muppet that bought it, and clearly had no idea how to care for a royal.
Offering to take the snake back is great, as it shows that you are more concerned with welfare than money.
Personally, I would be making a call to the RSPCA, local council, and police as there are clearly Animal Welfare Act offences being committed.
Old 18-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Hatchling

Seconding everything Ian said. The guy sounds like a nutter and I would be very concerned for the snake's welfare.
DorsetMorphs likes this.
Old 19-07-2017, 02:49 AM
Egg

Thanks again everyone for all the replies.

Stressful situation all round. I have Aspergers which makes talking on the phone difficult for me. I think I should have stood up for myself more. Can't sleep as anxious about it all :/

I will get in contact with the relevant people tomorrow and hopefully be able to resolve the situation.

Just goes to show that people are not always what you think they are. I will never rehome another animal to someone I don't know personally or have someone to vouch for them.
Old 19-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsetMorphs View Post
Thanks again everyone for all the replies.

Stressful situation all round. I have Aspergers which makes talking on the phone difficult for me. I think I should have stood up for myself more. Can't sleep as anxious about it all :/

I will get in contact with the relevant people tomorrow and hopefully be able to resolve the situation.

Just goes to show that people are not always what you think they are. I will never rehome another animal to someone I don't know personally or have someone to vouch for them.
Do not look upon this experience in a negative way! I always try to take the positive angle and learn from such experiences! As stated above, I would be inclined to make note to this person that you fear for the snakes welfare and will pursue the relevant avenues to rectify, what appears to be a case of poor animal welfare! Also add, if the threats persist then you will also be pursuing that with the correct people. Underline in correspondence the animals welfare is number one priority! Thus making it non personal! GL
DorsetMorphs likes this.

I do not argue with fools as from the outside no one knows who is who.
Old 19-07-2017, 10:00 PM
5 Star Member

Sounds like he's the one with the problem, never mind the local authority etc, if he's making threats then its a 999 call & let them have a chat with him

More about Aimo www.nosmia.me.uk/

More about Fleams

Tags
advice & help , refund , threatening