Advertisement

Old 17-04-2008, 09:13 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1 View Post
Sorry to hijack but I come across this whilst trolling t'interweb:

YouTube - Thrasops jacksoni eating
Jesus! They don't mess around do they?

Thrasops - do you have any pictures of your setups?
Old 17-04-2008, 09:23 AM
5 Star Member

Now I fear it is I who is hijacking the thread, but I couldn't resist posting this:

Quote:
As I searched for the hidden reptiles, I spotted a large black snake crawling through the grass. It was headed for the tree and surrounding brush in the center of the enclosure. One of the men on the museum staff, an African friend of mine, shouted for me to grab it before I lost it in the thick brush. This snake was fast and could easily out maneuver my tongs. If I were to capture him I would have to use my hands. I didn't know what kind of snake it was. There were potentionally dangerous snakes in the pit and this could be one of them. And what of the other snakes lying in the grass and brush that I did not see? In my hesitation, he shouted again for me to grab the snake. Sure, that was easy for him to say as he perched safely behind the concrete wall!
His next encouragement was a little more reassuring. "It's just a Jackson's Tree Snake," he affirmed, a large non-poisonous variety. I didn't like this at all. "Are you sure?", I questioned. Again I was reassured. Why should I doubt? This man was born and raised in Kenya. He was on the staff of the local museum. He had a great interest in snakes. Who was I to question?
Nervously, I grabbed the tail. Immediately, the snake turned to face me and raised his head about a foot from the ground! Just as quick, he inflated his throat like an oblong balloon! Instead of the harmless Jacksons Tree Snake I thought I had grabbed, I was holding a deadly Boomslang by the tail!
Boomslangs are large rear-fanged,aboreal snakes. Because the fangs are located in the back of the mouth, rather than the front, it is a little more difficult for a boomslang to get a solid bite. However, their venom is highly toxic and when they do, their bite can be fatal! Considering that fact, holding a boomslang by the tail isn't the smartest thing I have ever done! I looked at him, he looked at me. I let go. He went one way, I went the other! My friend's mistake was sincere and unfortunate for me, he was sincerely mistaken.
That could have ended a great deal worse!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-04-2008, 09:30 AM

excellent post a species I have an interest in too.

Interestingly if you are after more I know of 2.1 for sale, being in devon they are too far for me to justify going as it would make them about £300 per head. PM me if you want me to pass on the guys email details, he wants £200ea but has indicted he'd do a deal.

Very, very good post, with a lot of rear fanged venomous people see them as not "proper" venomous. With a lot of species thats fine, but unfortunately for a lot of new (and too trusting) keepers a lot of Boiga etc can deliver a very potent bite.
Old 17-04-2008, 10:28 AM
5 Star Member

I was offered a surplus T. jacksoni a year or two ago.... i lost the guys number. wasn't you was it Thrasops?
Old 17-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Thrasops jacksoni Isntyour normal rear fanged snake though is it, like a hognose false water cobra, or even some of the boiga. It's venom is 99% identical to the boomslang. Mice biten by Thrasops jacksoni die in less than a minute with blood coming out of their mouth and nose. You really don't want to let one of these bite you, never mind chew on you.
Old 17-04-2008, 11:07 AM

very true, 60-90 seconds and the average mouse has expired.

I've answered your PM too.
Old 17-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to Young_Gun

Don't let em chew on you then

Stunning snakes though, wouldn't hesitate to get some personally, but would never free handle em.
Old 17-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Premier Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Miranda

IN that feeding video that poor snake was bitten by the mouse and the mosue kept trying to bite it! shows how dangerous live feeding is! Viv pics?
Old 17-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 6

Hi all thanks for the replies!

I have some photos of my setups but I'm kind of new to this whole computer malarkey so it may take me a while to get them posted up. Alternatively I have others on a digital camera which I guess might be easier to show? I'll get something sorted in the next week or two.

There are also a handful of piccies of my animals up at the reptile section of Waterlife (which is a GREAT shop by the way).

Saw that Thrasops video on Youtube - yeah, you can really see the venom going to work rather quickly on that mouse, and the snake is pretty much as aggressive and voracious as you'd expect - it just would not let that little rodent go! I'm not a fan of live feeding but that was kind of interesting to watch.

The only surprise was how long the snake took to actually mount an attack! I wouldn't have had time to remove my hand from the terrarium and switch on the camera with mine!