Cage mods - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 13-10-2017, 12:41 AM
Premier Member

this is the 33lt version

the upper cage height in those is just random, if someone was building stacks of them for heterodon id suggest anything from 300 to 450 for upper cage height (a full 600mm board as a back piece would give an upper cage height of @436mm). the 33lt is a better drawer, the 50lt i think is too deep/high for this short a cage, i just forgot the 33lt was the same floor area with lower height when i did those previous sketches .

if you didnt like the swing doors there is a design with 2 units per cage that uses classic sliding doors, the midwall partition lines up with the inner doors edge, so like the swing door u have complete access to the cage. the only quirk with this design is the midwall has to come right up to the glass door inner surface, so the snake cannot get into the neighboring unit (or get trapped trying to).

rgds
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosthedaddy2 View Post
This is a set up I would like to have dabbled with.

I tried it with my double decker RUB design for the anacondas but think it's worth a go with the design you've suggested.

Well done
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 13-10-2017 at 01:06 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-10-2017, 02:32 AM
Premier Member

Regarding the drawers in the previous designs, they are obviously pre-made plastic containers meant for other uses, many of the original drawer cages had 90 degree box drawers built to fit the cage. this means that rather than the cage being designed around a pre-made container the drawer can be of any size and maximize the use of the drawer level space. i have made my own drawers and they have the same problems as cages, "corners", cleaning debris (poop) thoroughly from a 90 degree corner is annoying, time consuming, the seamless curve or corner of a plastic tub is more hygienic and plastic trays require little to no work to adapt them to a cage design.

lastly i have attached large drawers to heavy duty drawer sliders Soft Close Drawer Slides/Rear Runners Side Mount Ball Bearing Slides Heavy Duty | eBay in the past as i like the effortless quiet opening of a heavy tray, iv used them on large trays with lots of moist substrate in them, but u do have to design for weight displacement depending on the plastic.

rgds
ed

ps the two piece substrate barrier in the sketches is designed to fit with the viewing panel to prevent a gap between the barrier and the door, either to prevent substrate falling in or an animal getting in there (or trying to), its also designed to not be visible from the front.

johndavidwoods likes this.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 13-10-2017 at 02:51 AM..
Old 15-10-2017, 02:51 AM
Premier Member

a mod for a non spill water tub, these are often used with large constrictors, retics etc and the mod prevents the tub being moved around and tipped over from just the weight of the animal, it can be further modified with extra batons to be placed further along the cage length, it does not have to be placed in a corner.

this one is not my design but i have no idea where i saw it originally. the baton material can be anything but id suggest upvc 25mmx20mm rectangle trim uPVC Window Door Architrave Skirting Plastic Beading Trim Pack of 4 X 1250mm 49" | eBay
(or larger if its a sizable tub) rubs make good water tubs as the rims are fairly strong and will resist flexing

water tub, corner placement

tub with batons, side fixed baton prevents tipping, bottom baton prevents moving around

just baton placement, its a cheap quick mod that can help with those troublesome tub movers/spillers

rgds
ed
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 15-10-2017 at 02:55 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2017, 02:33 AM
Premier Member

humidity tub, this could be especially useful for balls in racks in low humidity rooms. its just a low profile round food tub from tesco asda etc, cut a hole in the lid, then zip tie or hot glue a round piece of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Crafts/14...nvas+7&_sop=15 thats larger than the cutout, to the underside of the lid, so its nice n' neat from the outside. a couple inches of water and sit it on the heatmat area. its a small tub so it doesn't use precious space, the mesh allows evaporation and prevents the animal drinking the water.

iv also filled these with clay drainage beads used for houseplants (or even moss), plus water, to increase the surface area, add weight and allows filling the tub up with more water while keeping a good evaporation rate. these tubs can be scaled up for cages, and fixed to the sides of arboreal cages (iv done this with p.baroni).

if u dont have a heatmat in the cage setup u could use one of the really small mats like these HabiStat Heat Mat UK 4"x5" 102mmx127mm 4 Watts under a scaled up tub, no stat needed

if it was a bigger cage and therefore a bigger tub id use this http://www.habistat.org/heating/heat...280mm-12-watts , they do adhesive versions of those mats too.

rgds
ed
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 20-10-2017 at 03:09 AM..
Old 22-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Premier Member

wheeled base for viv stacks.

there *will* come a time when u have to move a stack of vivs, whether its repainting the reptile room or needing access to rear wiring, water leaking from the ceiling above the stack (yup happened to me, drip drip next to the electrical), nothing beats being able to move an entire stack around easily and quickly.

the batons can be a spacer if u choose to bolt/nut the castors on, this prevents the bolt/nut heads interfering with the cage bottom. if u screw the castors on the batons provide fixing material, i recommend 50mm wide thread screws when using 50mm batons, pre drill the holes to prevent splitting, these screws would also be ideal for fixing the batons to the board.

i also recommend a mid baton for every 2ft over 4ft, 3ft and smaller lengths dont need them. the board itself can be anything, plywood, melamine or mdf, plywood is the strongest of the three though.

the front 2 castors should ideally be the brake type, only use heavy duty castors, not chair or sofa castors, i had a cheap one fail once and the stack started to tip when i was moving it. consider something like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...fLoc=1&_sop=15 if you are building a base for stacks of very long caging consider adding castors at the midpoint.

rgds
ed
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 22-10-2017 at 05:40 PM..
Old 23-10-2017, 02:10 AM
Premier Member

simple and quick arboreal hide

arboreal hides come in many forms depending on the animal, size and whether its diurnal or nocturnal are the main design factors. anyway this one is simple because it uses really useful boxes, which come in many sizes and colors.

i recommend the solid black boxes for this build and nylon wingnuts and bolts for attachment.

upside down rub in the cage corner

inside view of the upside down box, its simply held up by four nylon wingnuts so its easily removed for cleaning etc. to get the holes for the bolts right just drill four holes in the rubs floor, hold the box up to the ceiling, mark the ceiling thru the holes, drill them out. both hole sets will match up every time.

box in place minus lid (or floor in the arboreal hide sense)

to access the animal you just undo the handles and ur holding the lid with ur animal sitting on it you have to provide enough room between the wall and the box for access to the handle though. the entry hole can be in the "front" face of the box instead of the side face.

the above is just a basic 20-30min mod with little layout or tools needed, basically a drill, drill bit for the bolt holes and ideally a hole saw for the box entrance but that can also be done with just a little saw blade.

you can go a little fancier with aluminium u channel and the complete lidded box sliding out (the holes u can see on the bottom u channel surface are for screwdriver access when fixing channel to the ceiling).

there is also a variation where u cut "keyhole" holes in the lid that connect with bolt heads in the ceiling for a more simple push/pull click access but the layout is more technical and tolerances are tighter. for a first or quick/easy rub arboreal hide you cant beat the first type, wingnut attachment upside down.

rgds
ed
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

Last edited by loxocemus; 23-10-2017 at 02:45 AM..
Old 23-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Super Citizen
Angry

I've also seen large diameter black tubing ornpipe suspended from the roof

Having a hide box off the floor makes all much sense to an arborel snake and frees up space
loxocemus likes this.
Old 23-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Premier Member

if u look at a lot of cages the floor is covered in stuff but all that ceiling space is just empty, stuff like cornsnakes would have a ball with an extra hide up in a corner.

u could actually mod the box to have heating.

rgds
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosthedaddy2 View Post
I've also seen large diameter black tubing ornpipe suspended from the roof

Having a hide box off the floor makes all much sense to an arborel snake and frees up space
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.
Old 23-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Premier Member

if anyone has any mods to suggest let me know and il do my best to add them.

rgds
ed
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.
Old 23-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Super Citizen

Or even suspend a hanging basket with hemp liner to be like a bit me at for feeding
loxocemus likes this.