Ball Python problem after feeding - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 18-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Personally I would replace the heatmats with a ceramic heater, well guarded and controlled by a pulse proportional thermostat. No only do they provide a local hotspot, they also warm the air too, which for a large bodied snake is more natural. Warm air also holds more moisture so you have better means of controlling humidity. You only need to have one ceramic in the viv, which would then give a thermal gradient. Tips on setting up a ceramic can be found in the stuck post above http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l-pythons.html

Excellent capture with the night camera. To me that looked like a yawn, but it lasted for an extraordinary long time than I would expect for just a yawn. I also didn't see the curling of the jaws associated with re-alignment either... very strange. It's hard to see from the video, but does she extend her breathing tube whilst yawning? Not suggesting that there is an underlying breathing problem, but its one small possibility that the snake could have some issue breathing hence the long periods of gaping.

How often does she do this? if its very frequent then I would seek out a vet and let them watch the video and examine her to be on the safe side. Or of it's not so frequent, make the switch to heating with a CHE and see if that improves things. If after both these things the snake is fine, but still exhibits this behaviour then maybe it's just something that she does, after all no two animals are the same.
Nice one, thanks Malc. I am looking for bigger viv now so will look at getting ceramic heater.
She usually does it after feeding for a few times or days. I haven't seen her twisting head upside down anymore, I hope that wont happen again. Or I will try to film that too, it was like something from a horror movie, really got me scared. Don't really see her out at all now as she is now fully in a shed mode so hides all the time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata View Post
Nice one, thanks Malc. I am looking for bigger viv now so will look at getting ceramic heater.
She usually does it after feeding for a few times or days. I haven't seen her twisting head upside down anymore, I hope that wont happen again. Or I will try to film that too, it was like something from a horror movie, really got me scared. Don't really see her out at all now as she is now fully in a shed mode so hides all the time...
If you are in the uk check out www.provivs.co.uk I haven't bought off of them myself yet but plan on soon. They have a wide range in loads of different sizes at very good prices.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Renata likes this.
Old 18-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewgood6911 View Post
If you are in the uk check out Pro Viv Vivariums | Large range of vivariums I haven't bought off of them myself yet but plan on soon. They have a wide range in loads of different sizes at very good prices.
Not bad prices. A 120cm x 45xm x 45xm would, IMO, be the minimum size for a royal, and at £86 delivered, that's a fair price for a wooden viv with a solid back.

Please don't be fooled by the "we include toughened glass as standard" type statements. Vivariums are classified as furniture and as such have to use toughened glass under the legal standards. Any commercial manufacture of vivariums will use toughened glass in their products.

To be honest, it would cost you as much as that to buy the materials from a builders yard, so at £77 plus delivery that's a fair price IMO
wilkinss77 and Renata like this.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-10-2017, 06:25 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewgood6911 View Post
If you are in the uk check out Pro Viv Vivariums | Large range of vivariums I haven't bought off of them myself yet but plan on soon. They have a wide range in loads of different sizes at very good prices.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Very good prices, thanks
Old 19-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Not bad prices. A 120cm x 45xm x 45xm would, IMO, be the minimum size for a royal, and at £86 delivered, that's a fair price for a wooden viv with a solid back.

Please don't be fooled by the "we include toughened glass as standard" type statements. Vivariums are classified as furniture and as such have to use toughened glass under the legal standards. Any commercial manufacture of vivariums will use toughened glass in their products.

To be honest, it would cost you as much as that to buy the materials from a builders yard, so at £77 plus delivery that's a fair price IMO
I agree. I think 120 x 45 x 45 could be the final viv for female royal Python or do you think I might need a bigger one later?
Old 19-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Premier Member

If you have the space then go bigger. Furnished with branches, artificial plants, cork bark hides etc and it will make use of all that space.
Renata likes this.

Malc

Old 22-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Hatchling

Just an update...
My snake seems to be back to normal, no more crazy twisting and jaw seems to be ok now. Fed her on Friday and it was fine apart from her swallowing rat from the back, she only done it a few times before, must be because of bad sight due to shed. But all good now, thanks all.
Old 22-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:

I'd go further & suggest it's a bloody excellent price.

Quote:
If you have the space then go bigger. Furnished with branches, artificial plants, cork bark hides etc and it will make use of all that space.
Yep- don't forget it's a myth that they're strictly terrestrial, & are in fact semi-arboreal & will climb given the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata View Post
Just an update...
My snake seems to be back to normal, no more crazy twisting and jaw seems to be ok now. Fed her on Friday and it was fine apart from her swallowing rat from the back, she only done it a few times before, must be because of bad sight due to shed. But all good now, thanks all.
I'm wondering if it was a bit of crap of some kind stuck in her teeth both times it happened.
Malc and Renata like this.

Tags
ball python , problem after feeding , royal python