Reptile Forums banner

Retics eye site?

426 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  shaun 
#1 ·
Whats retics eye site like? in colour or black and white? Also on Tv people keep saying they can "See" heat also??...

Cheers.

#2 ·
The seeing heat thing is about the pits in their lips - these are/contain heat sensors, and the same goes for most, if not all pythons and some boas I believe. I read somewhere that royal pythons can detect temperature changes as small as a few thousandths(sp!?) of a degree. This is used for detecting prey which is why it often helps to warm your f/t food up if you have non feeders. I don't know how they see tho, but if you believe the makers of Snakes on a Plane its kinda all blurry and futuristicy:lol2:

#3 ·
I don't think they see heat, but they can detect the warmth given off by warm blooded mammals. I think the heat seeking pits are most sensitive in pit vipers (I stand to be corrected on that) down to about 2000th of a degree celsius.

As for there sight they struggle to focus on still objects and are only able to detect movement.

#4 ·
AFAIK they can't see red but can see in other colours. Snake eyesight is pretty crap. My boa's seems to be worse than my others, which are all colubrids, but I'm not sure if that's common in all boids.

Snakes mainly "see" by sensing heat and vibrations. Their actual eyesight isn't up to much compared with other carnivores. Is there something in particular you're concerned about, or just wondering?

#6 ·
my retics seem pretty switched on, i have opened up a tub on the floor and one of my retics has looked at me, then my mate, then back at me, i dont have any science behind my ramblings so dont take it as any statement of fact.
Science ? Who needs science ?

My 2 dogs communticate telepathically to each other and i can tap into them when i'm stoned :no1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.