Hognpse Bite, Quite Bad? What to do? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 89
Exclamation Hognpse Bite, Quite Bad? What to do?

Hey guys, So yesterday i had my Westeren Hognose out for a while and i think he miss took my finger for food, he latched on and i couldnt get him off for a solid 2-3 minutes. I eventually got him off but my finger has now turned black/blue and i can feel it XD Also my hand has swelled to the size of a golf ball. Any idea of what i can do to help it? I went to A&E and they were useless as know one knew anything about it so im relying on you guys really XD

Cheers, All answers appreciated!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Premier Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stevenage, UK
Posts: 7,864
Default

Ian reported a bad reaction to a western hognose as reported here http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...-snakes-2.html when the discussion of being bitten came up on one of the previous discussions on venomous snakes.

If you are concerned go back to A&E, or an A&E at a different hospital.
Zincubus likes this.
__________________
Regards

Malc



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Egg
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Default

I was bitten by my hognose last year.
I ended up spending 5 days in hospital.
I would definitely go back to A&E. Especially if there have been the changes to your hand as you say!

Attached a couple pics of my incident.
The bite was on the back of my hand. And the swelling spread down my arm. Then the blister appeared, eventually burst and then I was left an absolute mess of an arm to heal.

They said my arm was very similar to a burn reaction. They had me on fluids all the time to flush it all out my system. And painkillers. The swelling was the worst. Felt like my arm would explode. Crazy.
I still have kind of odd skin around the inside of my elbow where the worst of the damage was.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slough
Posts: 9,892
Default

Yes you need to go to A & E.
Your symptoms are very typical of hognose envenomation. There is also the risk of secondary infection.
There are a number of well documented envenomated bites.
You need to tell them that you have been bitten by a venomous snake. Provide full details of the species. They should then be liaising with specialist units such as Guys Hospital Poisons Unit (if it still exists) and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicines.
The symptoms you describe do need medical attention.
Chances are it will clear up but don't take chances.
Hognose venom is poorly understood, but every now and again extreme cases of envenomation crop up.
And no, it's not an allergic reaction.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bite , hognose

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snake bite shock for girl mebigbadjoe Snakes 184 28-05-2009 07:30 PM
Bothrops asper bite SiUK DWA Species 27 28-10-2007 07:22 PM
Brown Recluse Spider Bite (NASTY) pankthesnake Other Pets & Exotics Pictures 14 11-10-2007 05:23 PM
Baboon bite wate if ?? bee pampered Spiders and Inverts 7 02-07-2007 11:26 AM
fishing----fox micron m bite alarms and swingers for sale tom1400 Off Topic Classifieds 5 12-06-2007 09:06 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)