Amiel corn snake baby. All advice welcome and needed! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Egg
Default Amiel corn snake baby. All advice welcome and needed!

Hello from across the pond! I live in the Western US and was happy to find a site where responsible and happy herp owners come to share advice. I have a baby corn who is, as told to me by her seller, two months of age. She seems small, about the size of most hatchlings Ive seen in vids.
Ok here is the sad history I have with our cold blooded buddies. Previously my mother owned several snakes including large pyhons requiring entire rooms to house. When I moved in with her at 13, she had a corn snake and did not care for it well (landscaping chips, no hides, single spectrum light and no thermostat, thermometer) and when he became ill at 13, put him in the freezer to put him down. Seems so heartless....he was so mellow and awesome. I fell in love with him and so now at 32, I habe vowed to become the best owner of my new corn as I can be.
I purchased this Amiel silver girl today and decked out her new enclosure with all I can and I am worried about a few things and could use guidence here.
1: I put her in a viv 3x her previous enclosure (although closely mimicing her previous one using Aspen, similar lighting and water dish and the plants she really likes)
2: I have a basking light set up and currently, according to probe therm readings, her warm hide is 82F. Is this warm enough for her or should I consider a pad under the viv for extra warmth?
3: She pooped today (first day home). How long should I wait to feed her at this point? (I am using a different tub and tweezers to dissasociate viv and food as she was fed in viv her whole life prior)
4: How many days should she be left and not picked up after being home. She struck me today as I adjusted her tank and I picked her up after to handle so she saw hands do not equal fear.
5: Am I doing this right? She is already my baby girl and I want to make sure she is healthy, happy and that I can build a bond of trust with her.
Thank you all and I look forward to your valued input!
Paul F likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2018, 10:12 AM

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...-guttatus.html
Malc likes this.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Postaholic Member

Welcome !!!!

Just a few points ...

Many now go with feeding in the viv rather than the old fashioned idea of a separate feeding tub.

I use Orchid bark as a substrate as it looks natural and shows off the colours of your snake/s . Also holds as much or little humidity as is required.

I tend to leave new snakes for ten days to two weeks to settle in - making sure they feed at least once . You presumably know to leave the snake alone for 36 - 48 hours after feeding .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Malc likes this.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Egg

Thank you both so much for that information and the promp response. She seems to be settling in quickly. I woke to no visual sign of her but several visible tunnels in her bedding and when replacing her water today and adding a humidity box, found her midsection. I am trying to disturb her as little as possible however out of nessecity, I performed a very quick yet critical examination on her after reading the posted link and my books for tummy fimness, signs of tight shed etc. She seemed to not mind and remained inquisitive, responsive and seemed to be receptive to my body warmth. She did not hide herself upon returning to the viv.
I have large smooth stones below the aspen and when checking the warm hide temp this morning, it was 72F. I am thinking its possible she may have gotten cold and went to the residual heat in the stones. She had just eaten less than 48 hours prior to her arrival at home. Adding an extierior heating pad today to help push that warmth through and to allow for a photo cycle setup.
After jostling her and getting her settled and proper temp, I plan on leaving the area entirely, returning to feed next week and allowing her to become used to the movement and smells of her environment. Any more advice is 100% welcome and I am happy to be a new addition to such a longstanding community.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Premier Citizen

If a baby, make sure no gaps at all, do not want you posting a thread saying there has been an escape!!!
Paul F likes this.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Egg

Yes, I made sure there are no gaps at all in her viv. Yesterday when I couldnt find her I paniced but then I noticed all the little tunnels in the aspen and realized she is a digging girl lol
Old 05-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Premier Member

If the vivarium is of the traditional box with sliding glass doors, then use some self adhesive draft excluder of the brush type between the overlap of the glass - never under-estimate the small gaps that snakes can get through
Paul F likes this.

Malc

Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Egg

Her viv is the dual doorsin front from exo terra. There were gaps in the back for vents but they have a slider on the outside that goes over them to close them until she is bigger.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Premier Citizen

There is more than one way to skin a cat (or snake) so don't be put off if you read some conflicting views on husbandry. Soak up as much info as you can, then follow your chosen guru/make your own mind up.
We (especially us older members) like a good old "debate" on here too so don't take too much notice and don't take things personally. We love each other really.

Here's the first controvercial opinion;
Feed in the viv. Every 5 days until you switch up to decent sized fluffs/fuzzies.
(Most) Corn snakes are extremely tolerant of handling. Good to go after 24 hours of feeding, unless it is very skittish now. An already confident animal gains nothing from being left alone "to settle in".
Old 05-05-2018, 11:00 PM
Egg

Good points! I am sort of figuring out what she needs mostly via reading and watching her behavior. She is very confident and mellow. Found her in her cool, bigger hide near the door this morning. She does not seem apt to hiding much, especially considering the difference in viv size and days since her move.
She started tracking movement more this morning and pooped two days ago so I am going to check her interest in food today. Its been about 4 days since she ate a 1 day pinkie. Given her activity as of late, I have a feeling she might eat. We will see 🙂 Her tank drops to about 76F on the warm side at night. Is that acceptable? Since she was in her cool hide this morning, I feel that is fine and she is not too cold. The humidity is about 55-60. Too high? I am not sure how to drop it at this point if needed. I live in a humid place that rains and then becomes warm so given the natural surrounding moisture, it may he difficult to get it lower.