Corn Snake morph help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Hatchling
Default Corn Snake morph help

Hello, one of my cornsnakes has just laid a clutch of 20 eggs. We are unsure of the exact morphs of the parents, and therefore have no idea what to expect from the offspring. I was wondering if anyone could help with figuring out what morphs they are, and what morphs to expect from the offspring?

Here is the mother:

And the father:

Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Super Regular

I'm no expert but the father looks like a butter motley.

This is my pretty little girl. She's just about 2.

The mother I have no idea from that pic, need more of her top side

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Zincubus likes this.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Hatchling

Thanks! This is the only other picture I have of the female.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Super Regular

I would say maybe a mix with a Carolina? Maybe a lavender corn snake? Not sure tho, sorry

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Emilayy likes this.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:04 AM
Regular

Mum is Caramel, dad appears to be either an albino great plains rat snake(Pantherophis emoryi) or a hybrid.

Either way, I would recommend not hatching the eggs and separating the parents.
Malc and Paul F like this.
2 Cats.
8 Tarantulas.
4 Chinchillas.
2 Rats.
https://hillsidereptiles.weebly.com
Old 05-05-2018, 02:54 AM
Hatchling

Thanks both for the help - I do believe mum is a Caramel too!

Although I can see the similarities, both snakes were from a certified cornsnake breeder (he passed away recently, hence us not being able to contact him to confirm the morphs), so the dad is not a rat snake or a hybrid - we own rat snakes, and he does not have the same tail/scales and face structure close-up. He looks very similar in colouration/pattern to our Snow cornsnake but with less yellow, so we believe he may be a cross between a snow and something else. Possibly Kisatchie Snow which looks very similar to him:
http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/kisat...w/images/1.jpg

Mum and dad are separated as soon as breeding has taken place, so that is not an issue!
Old 05-05-2018, 03:07 AM
Regular

Who was the breeder, may I ask?
Dad is very strange looking, I am 90% sure he is at least a hybrid I'm afraid.

As for being a "cross" between a Snow and something else, that's not how corn snake genes work really.

Either way, I think you should have done the research on what morphs to expect before breeding them. As if dad is a pure corn snake, he is something Amel based, likely a pale Amel if those photos are true to real life colour. In which case, you will produce a clutch of Normals that are het for Caramel and Amel.
I'm still not convinced dad is a pure corn snake though being honest with you.
Paul F likes this.
2 Cats.
8 Tarantulas.
4 Chinchillas.
2 Rats.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:40 AM
Hatchling

The breeder was Nick (not sure on the second name, it's been a few years) from Northumberland, where we used to live. If my boy were a hybrid, I am sure the reptile vet we have taken him to over the years would have pointed that out. Well, if he is, that just makes him even more special so not an issue!

I am not sure why doing the research on what morphs my snakes are before breeding matters. These snakes have not been bred for cosmetic purposes, or to make an income, but purely for myself and my partner to experience the process of incubating and hatching the eggs, and caring for the hatchlings. I am not concerned with what the offspring look like, or if they are hybrids. It is of no difference to me whether all offspring will be normals or het normals or not. I am simply asking for help determining my snakes' morphs out of the interest of myself and my family who are eagerly awaiting the hatchlings.

Last edited by Emilayy; 05-05-2018 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: partner confirmed name and area of breeder for me!
Old 05-05-2018, 03:50 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilayy View Post
The breeder was Nick Holmes (I think, not 100% sure on the second name, it's been 3 years) from Northumberland, where we used to live. If my boy were a hybrid, I am sure the reptile vet we have taken him to over the years would have pointed that out. Well, if he is, that just makes him even more special so not an issue!

I am not sure why doing the research on what morphs my snakes are before breeding matters. These snakes have not been bred for cosmetic purposes, or to make an income, but purely for myself and my partner to experience the process of incubating and hatching the eggs, and caring for the hatchlings. I am not concerned with what the offspring look like, or if they are hybrids. It is of no difference to me whether all offspring will be normals or het normals or not. I am simply asking for help determining my snakes' morphs out of the interest of myself and my family who are eagerly awaiting the hatchlings.
The name rings a bell, but I'm not entirely familiar with it unfortunately.

As long as you are prepared to keep all 20 hatchlings as well, then research on morphs doesn't matter. However, if you want to sell them then ideally you need to know the morphs of the parents so you know what you're selling... This is common sense really.

It's clear me and you have very different views on this, so this will be my last reply. I still stick with my original reply, whether you agree or not is of course up to you.
2 Cats.
8 Tarantulas.
4 Chinchillas.
2 Rats.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:04 AM
Hatchling

He was a lovely older man. I believe he was quite well-known up north, but I could be wrong!

We have a large local reptile store down the road who have agreed to take any hatchlings that we don't decide to keep and sell them. This is the reptile store we go to weekly, co-run by a family friend, so I am confident in their treatment of animals. I would assume that, as a reptile store, they would label these hatchlings with whatever morphs they see fit after viewing the parents, so not our problem. I also do not believe that any snake owner who actually cares about their animals would breed them without having someplace sorted for the offspring to go to prior to the breeding even taking place. I do, in fact, care about my animals!

Thank you for your help, however I was asking purely for help with morphs, not for someone to question my motives and choices, which is what has been heavily implied within all of your responses. But I will keep your advice on the morphs of my snakes in mind. Thanks again!

Tags
breeding , cornsnake , morphs , snake