Corn snake warm side temperatures - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Egg
Default Corn snake warm side temperatures

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice. I've just got a 7 month old corn snake and I'm fairly confident that I have got her terrarium set up correctly.

I have a heat mat that covers almost half of the floor space and it's controlled by a habistat thermostat. This gives a nice temperature gradient of about 22'c to 29'c measured on top of a thin layer of aspen.

My question relates to the temperature inside her hide at the warm end. In there the temperature reaches about 31.5'c. Is this too warm?

Her hide is a long egg carton that spans the length of the terrarium and she seems to spend most of her time in the middle so I'm happy that she's finding herself a comfortable temperature whilst still remaining hidden. That being said, I just wondered if the hot end of her hide should be no warmer than 30'c and therefore outside of her hide it would be more like 27'c.

What are your thoughts please? Thanks in advance for all the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Premier Member

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...e-heating.html

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...-guttatus.html

Malc

Old 10-05-2018, 02:45 AM
Hatchling

or if you would prefer an answer that isn't 2 2 excessively long posts that give no advice on hides anyway...

2 ways of dealing with it, I have done both.
first is drop the temp to 30°C in the warm hide its fine, as long as it has somewhere to go where the temp is 28-30°C its all good, doesn't matter if it would be 27°c outside the hide because it has a warm hide and 27°C isn't really that low anyway.

if however this throws off you temperature gradient consider using a different hide. the problem is the hide is capturing the heat. I sometimes use 2 nicely sized pieces of driftwood, luckily one holds up the other very stability so no risk of the snake moving them but they are also a good size and shape so my corn can hide, because they don't capture the heat the hide stays the same temperature as the rest of the warm side.

I use both ways as I switch for winter and summer.

if you cant find 2 good pieces of driftwood that fit together well you can drill in holes for dowel pegs to fit them together (dowel is normally pine however if it doesn't come into contact with the snake and is encased in the other wood its fine)

but the guides Malc posted are an essential read so I would say read them if you haven't, seems like you might have as you are doing everything right by the sounds of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Egg

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have read both guides and they are excellent advice but don't mention the temperatures under hides specifically, hence the post.

Thanks for the advice AdamZero. That's exactly what I was after. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to fit drift wood into the small plastic container she's in at the moment but I'll bear it in mind for when she goes into her 4ft viv.

I have already changed her hide from a large piece of Cork to a egg carton lid because under the cork temperatures were reaching 37'c!

Thanks again for the help, I think I'll keep tweaking the temperature a bit more.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZero View Post
or if you would prefer an answer that isn't 2 2 excessively long posts that give no advice on hides anyway...
It answers the question

Quote:
One thing that people seem to get hung up on is the exact temperature for the hot spot. It doesn't matter if your hot spot temperature is a degree or two above the temperature stipulated in a care sheet, book or website.
The OP had a concern that the temps in the hide is just 1.5c above the 30c he's read as being the hot end temp (presumably read using an accurate method such as an IR thermometer ?)

Malc

Old 10-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Premier Citizen

I've never owned a temperature gun, and am unlikely to ever buy one at this late stage in the game. None of my snakes have ever died/become ill from being too hot or too cold.
I agree, that they are a useful tool though, if you have too many snakes or too little time to spend observing them. (Not you Malc )
A slight variation in temps (as is frequently the case in nature) is not the be all and end all, providing our animals have the opportunity to escape from an area that is too hot, or seek out if it is too cold.
But we already agree on that too, it's our favourite "none argument".

OP, if the snake is too hot in it's hide, it will not linger there for any length of time, which sounds like it MAY be the case for you. That is why yours seems to prefer to spend it's time towards the middle where its preferred temp is.
Does it spend any time towards the hot end after it has been fed though? If not, the temps are too high and you should knock them down a degree or two and watch the behaviour of your individual over a few days.
A snake shouldn't really sit in the hot end "chillin" either, as this would suggest the temps are too low. The hot spot should really only be used for aiding digestion and topping up from time to time, say after being out of the viv.

Personally, I would reduce the area covered by the mat to around a third of the footprint of the tank, and look at a better way of heating for the future.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
The OP had a concern that the temps in the hide is just 1.5c above the 30c he's read as being the hot end temp (presumably read using an accurate method such as an IR thermometer ?)
Yes, temperature was confirmed with IR gun and digital thermometer. It has now crept up to 32.5'c but seems stable at that. 28.7'c just outside the hide.

@Paul - I've only had the snake 10 days so have only fed her once but she took it well and defecated about 36 hours later. Since her hide spans the full length of the enclosure it's not easy to tell where she was while digesting. I didn't want to disturb her and risk regurgitation.

I can't heat her enclosure any other way since it's only a small plastic terrarium.

Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:26 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeam View Post

@Paul - I've only had the snake 10 days so have only fed her once but she took it well and defecated about 36 hours later. Since her hide spans the full length of the enclosure it's not easy to tell where she was while digesting. I didn't want to disturb her and risk regurgitation.

I can't heat her enclosure any other way since it's only a small plastic terrarium.

Once again, thanks for the help.
Yes, I do understand that. Many thousands of snakes are kept on mats around the world and come to no harm. But as your animal grows and you think about getting a large viv, then ceramics are probably a better way to go for creating a better gradient across a larger area.
I would still move the mat out a little though, as you are restricting the area that the snake can use when it wants to escape the heat.
Timbeam likes this.

Tags
advice , corn snake , hide , temperature