GTP nest box issue - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 24-06-2018, 09:11 PM
Forum Citizen
Default GTP nest box issue

My female GTP is soon to lay eggs within the next 1-2 weeks. The nest box was added to her cage a week ago, she's been in and out several times since. I am going on holiday this week (a pet sitter is calling round to spray them a couple of times).

My issue is: do I seal the female inside the nest box before I go, or do I hope she just goes in of her own accord a few days before she's due to lay them?

She probably won't lay them while we are away, but there's a chance she will. I am torn between sealing her in before we leave or whether a week without access to water might be detrimental to her.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2018, 09:29 PM
Premier Member

I have never kept gtps so may be completely wrong, but I would imagine sealing her in is likely to stress her. Stress is one of the main causes of egg binding.
Let's be honest, if you weren't away, it would be no different. She would still have access to the nest box. Personally I would say leave her be. If she is gravid she will want to lay when ready. Sealing her inside a box prevents her from drinking and thermoregulating.
Malc likes this.
Old 24-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Premier Citizen

For a week's absence, I would not seal her in the nest box. And the water bowl should be too small for her to coil up in it. Laying eggs in water will drown them for sure. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Gold Star Member

If she lays whilst you are on holiday, then provided the humidity is kept up she should be capable of looking after the eggs like all pythons for a few days until you return and can get the eggs off her and into the incubator.

If you are that paranoid over the egg laying, then cancel your holiday ;-)

Malc

Old 24-06-2018, 11:30 PM
Premier Member

Just a thought.
Where is the male?
If he is kept separately then no problem but if he is with the female that's another source of stress and he needs to be kept elsewhere.
Gtps are not cheap so I would have thought a fair amount of thought, planning and preparation would have gone into this before getting to this stage.
Old 25-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Forum Citizen

Thanks for the replies all!

I'll leave her to her own devices. I doubt she'll lay them until next week anyhow. She's on her own so no worries regarding the male.
Old 29-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Forum Citizen

An update for you guys:

Just found out the female has laid eggs probably today, still on holiday until Sunday night. Typical.

Thankfully she laid them in the box.

One quick question: it seems that one of the eggs is outside of her coils pushed off to the side. I haven't got access to the book at the moment but I vaguely recall it saying this means the egg is likely bag or infertile. Is this correct?
Old 10-07-2018, 11:22 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
An update for you guys:

Just found out the female has laid eggs probably today, still on holiday until Sunday night. Typical.

Thankfully she laid them in the box.

One quick question: it seems that one of the eggs is outside of her coils pushed off to the side. I haven't got access to the book at the moment but I vaguely recall it saying this means the egg is likely bag or infertile. Is this correct?
No it doesn't necessarily mean its no good but it may go bad before you can get to it. Any update?

Tags
breeding , eggs , green tree python , gtp , nest box