what is viv defensive - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 18-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Egg
Smile what is viv defensive

can anyone tell we what viv defensive is?
and im buying a boa red tail snake and i have a 120 - 60 - 100 terrarium and im planing to get a waterfall in there, but i dont know if it will get the humidity to high for the snake. does anyone know if its possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos View Post
can anyone tell we what viv defensive is?
and im buying a boa red tail snake and i have a 120 - 60 - 100 terrarium and im planing to get a waterfall in there, but i dont know if it will get the humidity to high for the snake. does anyone know if its possible?
It means the snake doesn't like you putting your hand in the viv & will try to bite if you do, but won't bite when outside the viv.
Old 18-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Egg

okay ty. do u know anything about the boa and waterfall thing? ;D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
okay ty. do u know anything about the boa and waterfall thing? ;D
Waste of time.
It's fine for small tropical frogs and lizards.
Not a boa.
Just give a good size water bowl that it can lay in.
richardhind and Purgatory like this.
Old 18-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Premier Member

There have been a lot of newbies asking for information on boa's and how to keep them of late. Either browse through the snake section and look for anything with "boa" in the title, or use the search function of the forum which will return all posts with "boa" in the title.

Viv sizes, husbandry, snake size, and even the state of the gene pool have all been discussed at length and don't really need repeating. As part of the research you need to do the legwork yourself. The information is here, you just need to look for it. I've already given you links to the two threads that cover the basics... time for your to sit down with a coffee and do some reading

Malc

Old 18-08-2018, 11:25 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Waste of time.
It's fine for small tropical frogs and lizards.
Not a boa.
Just give a good size water bowl that it can lay in.
Couldn't agree more

Malc

Old 19-08-2018, 01:35 AM
Egg
Thumbs up

i read alot and all ppl say difrend things.... m ybad u got upset by my question. have a great day.
Old 19-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
i read alot and all ppl say difrend things.... m ybad u got upset by my question. have a great day.
So do I.
And I have yet to read anything that recommends or even mentions putting in a waterfall with a red tail boa.
Old 19-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
I didn't get upset.... I'm just fed up of these sorts of posts where people don't put any effort in and do their research, but expect others to repeat information that is right under the OP's nose !

As for the waterfall.... you need a large (as in 6 feet wide and 5' tall by 3' deep) enclosure to provide a plunge pool large enough to make it have any practical purpose for the boa to soak in if it wants to. The enclosure will have to endure high humidity as the water will need to be heated to around 75f so it will need complete waterproofing. You will need a filtration system, and a means of draining the pool as snakes tend to shit in the water, which it may then drink, so having a waterfall is not hygienic.

Best advice - forget the idea
Zincubus likes this.

Malc

Old 20-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
There have been a lot of newbies asking for information on boa's and how to keep them of late. Either browse through the snake section and look for anything with "boa" in the title, or use the search function of the forum which will return all posts with "boa" in the title.

Viv sizes, husbandry, snake size, and even the state of the gene pool have all been discussed at length and don't really need repeating. As part of the research you need to do the legwork yourself. The information is here, you just need to look for it. I've already given you links to the two threads that cover the basics... time for your to sit down with a coffee and do some reading
I get what you are saying to a certain extent, but if this really should be the case, the forum should just be shut down and everything made a sticky. I believe forums are an active living thing, not just another web site. Everyone deserved a personalized answer for their question, even if it's been asked numerous times. I get that questions involving basic husbandry and obvious information can be annoying to long time members, but it's not up to you to tell someone to research information if they prefer to have a discussion about it with other people. That is literally the purpose of a forum. It's also a way for new members to introduce themselves and get involved in the community. It is also very common for repeat questions to generate unique responses not found anywhere else. If you don't like repeat questions, ignore them.
Demonique, Paul F, rita and 1 others like this.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 20-08-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Tags
boa , humidity