Mites advice needed please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 14-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Hatchling
Default Mites advice needed please

Hi, I have only had my RP and BRB for about a month now and have found some mites on my RP's head under his chin and have been advised that I need to get on top of this and quick.

The reason for my post, is again I am seeing a lot of conflicting information, so just wanted to take some advice on how to tackle the problem please?

Both my vivs are stacked on top of each other (separate vivs for snakes) so I am assuming that if my RP has it, then my BRB probably has them too by now.

What is the best way to deal with this?

Some people have said soak them for days in a tub and clear out their viv completely, but then in the same sentence...…... also said keep an eye on them 24/7 so they don't drown, which is kind of ridiculous...…..because for one you cant keep an eye on them ALL DAY and secondly you cant bathe them in too shallow water because then the mites will just climb onto the snakes back and the problem wont go away.

Others have also advised to spray or rub with a mite spray and spray their viv with it, or even go as far as spraying the viv with ''raid''but then contradicted their own advice by saying it can be toxic and fatal if it gets near a snakes eyes or mouth, so what on earth are you supposed to do?

Bearing in mind this advice has come from a few reptile shops, im sure you can imagine im getting a little hacked off, because one person says one thing and another says something else and I can see everyones points, so just wandered what is best/what works?

The only decent bit of advice I feel was good, was to freeze their substrate and hides to kill off any potential bugs, but ideally I just need some advice please on what to do about this problem?

Many thanks and all the best to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjess05 View Post
Hi, I have only had my RP and BRB for about a month now and have found some mites on my RP's head under his chin and have been advised that I need to get on top of this and quick.

The reason for my post, is again I am seeing a lot of conflicting information, so just wanted to take some advice on how to tackle the problem please?

Both my vivs are stacked on top of each other (separate vivs for snakes) so I am assuming that if my RP has it, then my BRB probably has them too by now.

What is the best way to deal with this?

Some people have said soak them for days in a tub and clear out their viv completely, but then in the same sentence...…... also said keep an eye on them 24/7 so they don't drown, which is kind of ridiculous...…..because for one you cant keep an eye on them ALL DAY and secondly you cant bathe them in too shallow water because then the mites will just climb onto the snakes back and the problem wont go away.

Others have also advised to spray or rub with a mite spray and spray their viv with it, or even go as far as spraying the viv with ''raid''but then contradicted their own advice by saying it can be toxic and fatal if it gets near a snakes eyes or mouth, so what on earth are you supposed to do?

Bearing in mind this advice has come from a few reptile shops, im sure you can imagine im getting a little hacked off, because one person says one thing and another says something else and I can see everyones points, so just wandered what is best/what works?

The only decent bit of advice I feel was good, was to freeze their substrate and hides to kill off any potential bugs, but ideally I just need some advice please on what to do about this problem?

Many thanks and all the best to you all.
Callingtons mite spray. Just follow the instructions on the can.
ian14 and Malc like this.
Old 14-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Premier Citizen

As above with the mite spray and bin the substrate as not worth the risk in freezing it.

Old 14-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Regular

Here in South Africa we have a product by Komodo called Paramite spray. You take everything out of the enclosure and boil it, not the snake of course. Put the snake in a tub, spray the entire snake straight on with Paramite, cover the eyes, do not spray into the eyes. Spray the whole cage with Paramite, put down newspaper in the cage, spray the newspaper with Paramite, put the snake in the cage, no waterbowl for 48 hours. After 5 days repeat the whole process again, throwing away the old newspaper, after 5 days, repeat the process again. After 5 days, put in new substrate and replace the boiled decorations back in the cage. Guaranteed, no more mites. I have used this on King Snakes, Corn Snakes, Red tail Boas and Dumeril Boas. It killed my Hoggies and snakes younger than a year.

This is the quickest and most painless method to use. You can use the instructions on the bottle, but it gets very expensive that way. My way works and is super effective.

Tags
snake