Hello 🙂 heat pad help! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 29-09-2018, 11:56 PM
Egg
Default Hello 🙂 heat pad help!

So today I picked up my first baby snow cornsnake! She is so beautiful, i am so in love with the little string of spaghetti.

Que excessive paranoia, over heating. I've looked at getting a cornsnake for a really long time, done a lot of reading up and getting about 8271671939 different opinions! My heat mat doesn't seem to be heating the vivarium very well, despite being a large high quality one. Any advice on a better, corn snake approved heat source, and how to keep the noodle warm if the heating is only around 26°? Asap help please! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-09-2018, 03:36 AM
Postaholic Member
Default Hello 🙂 heat pad help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppercorn View Post
So today I picked up my first baby snow cornsnake! She is so beautiful, i am so in love with the little string of spaghetti.

Que excessive paranoia, over heating. I've looked at getting a cornsnake for a really long time, done a lot of reading up and getting about 8271671939 different opinions! My heat mat doesn't seem to be heating the vivarium very well, despite being a large high quality one. Any advice on a better, corn snake approved heat source, and how to keep the noodle warm if the heating is only around 26°? Asap help please! Thank you.
26c equates to 78.8F in old money and wouldn't be the end of the world for any of the Corn snakes I've kept as they all preferred those types of temperature ..

Are you by any chance using one of those plastic , stick on thermometers ??

If you haven't already got one , I'd buy a digital temp gun off eBay as asap they'd less than a tenner and fabulous for taking quick random surface temps .

Also these thermometers are great as well , only £2 to £3 off eBay !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thrasops likes this.

Last edited by Zincubus; 30-09-2018 at 03:41 AM..
Old 30-09-2018, 04:16 AM
Regular

I also have a heat pad for all of my snakes, but they all avoid them. I do live in USA California where it is 75/24 degrees every day of the year. Well mostly, this last month it's been hitting 85/29 degree during the day and 65/19 degrees at night. I have the heat mats on a time to just go on for a few hours at night when it's the coldest to maintain an 85/29 degree medium. With that said, I've still never seen my snakes thermoregulate, ever... They all have one single spot each that they prefer to sleep in. When they do move around, it's all random and they again return to their spot when they are done.

I am switching to ceramic heaters when winter comes along and throwing away the heat pads, or at least setting them aside. Ceramic is supposed to be more natural to them and more effective in keeping a consistent temperature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-09-2018, 06:25 AM
Egg

I am, I got two of them- thank you so much for your advise, I'll get a digital one!
Old 30-09-2018, 06:28 AM
Egg

That's really good advice on ceramic heaters, I'll look in to it as it can get really cold here. I want the most natural environment possible. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyeggs View Post
I also have a heat pad for all of my snakes, but they all avoid them. I do live in USA California where it is 75/24 degrees every day of the year. Well mostly, this last month it's been hitting 85/29 degree during the day and 65/19 degrees at night. I have the heat mats on a time to just go on for a few hours at night when it's the coldest to maintain an 85/29 degree medium. With that said, I've still never seen my snakes thermoregulate, ever... They all have one single spot each that they prefer to sleep in. When they do move around, it's all random and they again return to their spot when they are done.

I am switching to ceramic heaters when winter comes along and throwing away the heat pads, or at least setting them aside. Ceramic is supposed to be more natural to them and more effective in keeping a consistent temperature.
Old 30-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppercorn View Post

Welcome to the forum.

Make yourself a cuppa and have a read of these posts...

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...e-heating.html

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...-guttatus.html

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...questions.html

Malc