hibernating two snakes in one cage - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 30-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Egg
Lightbulb hibernating two snakes in one cage

Hello

I'm new to this forum site so excuse if it's already been asked

I have two (red/albino) cornsnakes in one enclosure. I don't know if they're related or not, because the previous owners did not know.
They have been going from owner to owner for a couple of years until they came to me, so I don't know how old they precisely are. They have always been together in one enclosure.
I do know that they are mature (above two years old), but I don't think they are the biggest they could ever be.
Anyway, working to the point I wanted to make, the supposed male has acted 'sexual' to the supposed female once before, but I do not intend to breed them. The female didn't take it tho, so all was good. This was after winter, so in the beginning of this year.
Now it's getting colder again, so should I try to hibernate them again (basically lowering the temperature a bit, lessening daylight etc.) or will they try to breed again when it's getting warmer? Or doesn't it really matter if they try to breed? And they'll be fine after.. ?

If I left anything out, feel free to ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

They will try to breed if they are opposite sexes, and this will probably happen whether you brumate them or not.

It's not good for your female to live with the male constantly, as she will be subject to constant attention from him throughout breeding season. This will cause a lot of stress and then possible health issues.

It is also not good for the female to breed every single year (and given how many matings will take place, she'll probably double clutch, even triple clutch each year). It takes a massive toll on her body to make all the eggs.

So given all of the above, I would separate them now and keep them separate going forward. If you do want to breed that's of course fine and up to you, but introducing them for controlled periods for that specific purpose is a very different matter from keeping them together constantly.
Old 30-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenvdk View Post
Hello

I'm new to this forum site so excuse if it's already been asked

I have two (red/albino) cornsnakes in one enclosure. I don't know if they're related or not, because the previous owners did not know.
They have been going from owner to owner for a couple of years until they came to me, so I don't know how old they precisely are. They have always been together in one enclosure.
I do know that they are mature (above two years old), but I don't think they are the biggest they could ever be.
Anyway, working to the point I wanted to make, the supposed male has acted 'sexual' to the supposed female once before, but I do not intend to breed them. The female didn't take it tho, so all was good. This was after winter, so in the beginning of this year.
Now it's getting colder again, so should I try to hibernate them again (basically lowering the temperature a bit, lessening daylight etc.) or will they try to breed again when it's getting warmer? Or doesn't it really matter if they try to breed? And they'll be fine after.. ?

If I left anything out, feel free to ask

Co-habiting snakes has been discussed many times before - use the "search this forum" to review previous discussions on the subject.

As you have no intention to breed then you must separate the. They need to be individually housed in order to ensure that they don't mate.

As John has mentioned, it's also advisable to house snakes separately for other reasons (which you'll see by reading previous posts).

The later statement makes no sense. leaving them to get on with it will have a high probability of producing 20-30 young snakes per clutch- which unless they have the genes for the latest must have trait would be very hard to move on. So unless you have the space and means to raise upwards of 30 snakes then I would separate them immediately

Malc

Tags
breeding , corn , enclosure , hibernate , snake