Trips / Coaches to HAMM in March ? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 01-01-2019, 06:48 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 24
Default Trips / Coaches to HAMM in March ?

Trips / Coaches to HAMM in March ?

Haven't been in a few years, so who is still running trips / coaches to Hamm in March ?

Where do they pick up from, and how much are seats?

Old 01-01-2019, 11:01 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothGirl View Post
Trips / Coaches to HAMM in March ?

Haven't been in a few years, so who is still running trips / coaches to Hamm in March ?

Where do they pick up from, and how much are seats?
Assuming it's before 29th March it will be the last show you can attend without a lot of preplanning and applications for CITES export and import permits.
I'm still waiting to get confirmation of how this will work, as soon as I do I will post it here along with relevant links to applications etc
Old 01-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Premier Member

ian how do u think these new rules will affect the wider hobby, will the number of animals entering the uk drop? will shops stop their usual shopping haul trips...

how do u see it panning out for both animal numbers and species numbers....

rgds
ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Assuming it's before 29th March it will be the last show you can attend without a lot of preplanning and applications for CITES export and import permits.
I'm still waiting to get confirmation of how this will work, as soon as I do I will post it here along with relevant links to applications etc
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
It's the 9th of March I think
Old 01-01-2019, 11:37 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxocemus View Post
ian how do u think these new rules will affect the wider hobby, will the number of animals entering the uk drop? will shops stop their usual shopping haul trips...

how do u see it panning out for both animal numbers and species numbers....

rgds
ed
My understanding is that the rules will change massively.
Currently, as an EU member, imports of CITES species is simple. An export permit is required from the country of origin, and an import permit from the country where the import takes place. Once inside the EU, no further permits are needed due to free trade.
However, when we leave the EU, this changes. So to import to the UK, as a CITES member party, an export permit will be needed. Now assuming we maintain the same high standards to combat corruption as we do within the EU, an import permit will also be needed.
Permits can only be granted if the relevant scientific authority deems that specific trade to be non detrimental. Usually onle an export permit is needed, but given the propensity for corruption in most countries where listed species exist, the EU quite rightly introduced its own legislation which includes an import permit too.
I suspect that the UK will continue this.
As such, my anticipation will be that all CITES species will be controlled as they are now.
So Annex B/Appendix II species will require import permits. All boa and python species are on this so, after Brexit, a lot of preplanning will be required by those off to Hamm and Houten.
I may be totally wrong, but from what I have so far been told by UKBF CITES team, this is what we can expect. As soon as I have a definite answer I will post here, given recent lack of legislative guidance to enforcers.
loxocemus likes this.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:16 AM
Premier Member

so primarily this will hit the ball hobby, the retic hobby and the boa hobby the hardest, especially regius given their numbers.

in an ideal world this could be a turning point for the hobby, why go to hamm for a ball or ten and a bunch of redtape when there are weird and wonderful species on the tables redtape free, shop stock buyers might open their eyes a little wider.

add in the AAL and incubators with a hundred royal "hobby" clutches, great changes may be coming to our little island hobby....

in an ideal world

rgds
ed

Quote:
My understanding is that the rules will change massively.
Currently, as an EU member, imports of CITES species is simple. An export permit is required from the country of origin, and an import permit from the country where the import takes place. Once inside the EU, no further permits are needed due to free trade.
However, when we leave the EU, this changes. So to import to the UK, as a CITES member party, an export permit will be needed. Now assuming we maintain the same high standards to combat corruption as we do within the EU, an import permit will also be needed.
Permits can only be granted if the relevant scientific authority deems that specific trade to be non detrimental. Usually onle an export permit is needed, but given the propensity for corruption in most countries where listed species exist, the EU quite rightly introduced its own legislation which includes an import permit too.
I suspect that the UK will continue this.
As such, my anticipation will be that all CITES species will be controlled as they are now.
So Annex B/Appendix II species will require import permits. All boa and python species are on this so, after Brexit, a lot of preplanning will be required by those off to Hamm and Houten.
I may be totally wrong, but from what I have so far been told by UKBF CITES team, this is what we can expect. As soon as I have a definite answer I will post here, given recent lack of legislative guidance to enforcers.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Postaholic Member

Soooo for us with existing snake collections and with no intentions of importing or even adding anymore ... are we effected in any way !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Soooo for us with existing snake collections and with no intentions of importing or even adding anymore ... are we effected in any way !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not if you keep it secret

All the new legislation is very misleading and even our local council hasnt got much of a clue either. I will just continue as per...
Zincubus likes this.

I do not argue with fools as from the outside no one knows who is who.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:22 AM
Premier Member

So does anyone know of any people running trips to Hamm?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:01 PM

If you look in the show section on here, then the subsection on European shows you will see adverts for coach trips to Hamm. They are old but it might be worth a try.

The other alternative is to get a group together and go over in a car. I do this and it costs around £100 each if there are four of us in the car. This allows for fuel and the crossing. Then a hotel for two nights will cost about another £100 if you share in a twin room.