Atb: skin issues - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 15-04-2019, 02:47 AM
Egg
Default Atb: skin issues

Hi I have an Amazon tree boa and I'm looking for any help or advice about this lesion she has on the scales right above her belly. It's only one small spot but they have turned white with red specks around them. Shes still eating good and is fairly mild mannered for an atb. Is this just a normal coloration thing or a legitimate health concern? Again anything would be helpful thank you. Will post pictures when I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-04-2019, 02:54 AM
Premier Member

It's hard to advise if it's simply a pattern / colouration change without a picture or more details such as the snakes age, but basically the only true advice you will receive when it comes to medical issues it to seek the advice of a professional vet if you are concerned.
colinm likes this.

Malc

Old 18-04-2019, 04:52 PM

I agree with what Malc says. Has it changed colour recently ? To me it looks like different skin pigmentation.
If you are concerned take it to a reptile vet. It's very hard to diagnose over the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Premier Member

When you say "lesion" do you mean there is a lump or swelling, or just a mark of different colour?
Is this a captive bred or wild caught ATB?
In any case, if there is a lump appeared then you need to see a vet who deals with reptiles. It could be a whole host of different things, only a physical exam by a reptile vet will get to the bottom of it.
Old 20-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Egg

I posted a picture on my profile. I don't know where I'd put it if I were to post the url. But it's in my albums on my page. Other than that no theres no bumps or anything it's just a difference in color, I just think it's weird because it's only in one spot. Shes still eating fine though and it doesn't seem to be painful for her. I have no idea how old she is or if she was wild caught or captive bred. I bought her at a show and the guy who sold her to me was no help. However I can say shes about 3 and a half feet in length.
Old 20-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Premier Member

You obviously didn't follow my instructions that I PM'd you.

Go to the album containing the image, click on the small thumbnail to open the image.

Right click on the image and select the option to copy the URL or image address (wording varies depending on browser used)

Go to this post and create a new reply

Click on the icon that's yellow with a small dark square top right

Paste the URL (press CTRL + INSERT or CTRL + V or right click and select paste) into the pop up

Post the reply
colinm likes this.

Malc

Old 21-04-2019, 12:17 PM
huh

some of us already have our PhD in how to get images to post in this forum
or grew up in the 1980s and remember how the complex the internet used to be
(your image is now posted below)

as for the ATB - is this white patch a new thing ... just looks like a bit of different color scales to me
I am more concerned with how many fingers you have left after handling this species!

dave_the_rave likes this.
Will log in when notified of PMs (03-Jun-19)
Old 21-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Premier Member

It just looks to be an area of white scales. Zooming in doesn't show anything sinister. No swelling or loose scales etc. These snakes can change as they grow with colour developing and fading.
I personally wouldn't worry.
dave_the_rave and dcap like this.
Old 21-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Forum Citizen

Although very tempting sometimes, I avoid buying from anyone - especially at a show, who can't give even some basic information about the animal you're interested in. I'm with these guys, atbs can all of a sudden exhibit difference in colouration. The mother of mine was quite patchy from my recollection.