Proposed Kingsnake ban - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 16-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Default Proposed Kingsnake ban

The proposed EU ban of the Kingsnake has been stopped at present. A consortium of British and EU hobbyists and trade officials successfully opposed the Risk Assesment for the species.
The Risk Assesment is now back for revision and the earliest inclusion that the species can be included on the IAL is 2020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Super Regular

Thank goodness for that as it could have meant trouble for the wild introduced colony living at the bottom of my yard 😅
Old 19-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Hatchling

Yeah, I read an article on this from a 'trade' magazine just last week. I got the chap in the shop to photocopy it for me at the time. I did ask for the magazine (I'm cheeky like that), but he was reluctant to let me have it as it was striclty for traders. I'll try and find the article and post it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-2019, 08:48 AM
Hatchling

Found it.......

Kingsnake ban?

The trade is bracing itself for a possible ban on the sale, movement and breeding of Californian Kingsnakes following the albino variation of these animals becoming an established invasive in the Canary Islands. More than 2,000 invasive Kingsnakes were captured between 2004 and 2014, with 500 captured in 2013 alone.

The EU is considering the restriction, which is proposed by the Spanish government and, while the ban isn't signed or sealed yet, most experts believe there is a good chance it will become law in June 2019. Despite Britain's exit from Europe, all new legislation emanating from the EU will automatically be implemented in the UK for at least the next two years as the Brexit transition takes effect. The UK will vote against the ban when it is proposed, given that most experts agree that Kingsnakes are highly unlikely to become established in the UK. Unfortunately the current political climate within Europe has made the voice of the UK's scientific advisors less highly regarded than it once was. REPTA is preparing a submission to the EU to counter the proposal, but its success is far from guaranteed.

The ban will likely affect all Lampropeltis getula subspecies, including traditional pet trade animals such as:

Californian Kingsnakes.
Florida Kingsnakes.
Eastern Kingsnakes.
Speckled Kingsnakes.
Black Kingsnakes.
Mexican Black Kingsnakes.
Desert Kingsnakes.
Lowlwand Kingsnakes.
colinm likes this.
Old 20-04-2019, 01:19 AM
Premier Member

I bet it doesn't.
There's this annoying little thing called Brexit that's taking up the time of both UKG and the EU.
Old 20-04-2019, 08:54 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
I bet it doesn't.
There's this annoying little thing called Brexit that's taking up the time of both UKG and the EU.
Hopefully it will never get passed.
Old 20-04-2019, 09:20 AM

Let's hope that it doesn't. On this year's list for inclusion are the Common Mynah and Water Lettuce. So if you want any Water Lettuce it's your last chance this Summer.

Tags
kingsnake ban