Gay behaviour in rat snakes, possible? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 17-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Gay behaviour in rat snakes, possible?

Hi all, haven't been on here in a while! Hope everyone is well.

Whilst cleaning my snakes out my corn (male) attempted to mate with my greenish rat (supposedly male). In appearance it seemed as if it was an actual mating - the corns hemipenes were inserted and both animals were intertwined and stationary.

Due to the time of the year I expect it is just an accidental occurrence although I'm not sure, it was rather convincing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

VEGANISM IS A LIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-04-2019, 10:13 PM
Premier Citizen

Two male snakes will engage in dominance behavior. But as far as I know, that does not include an actual lock. Just how certain are you of the grey rat snake's sex?
Old 17-04-2019, 11:13 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
Two male snakes will engage in dominance behavior. But as far as I know, that does not include an actual lock. Just how certain are you of the grey rat snake's sex?
Not at all, neither has been sexed. The corn is male obviously, but the rats sex is based on what the previous owner said (and I don't recall him mentioning probing).

VEGANISM IS A LIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-2019, 10:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

Sounds more like your rat is female.
Old 20-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishForLife2001 View Post

Whilst cleaning my snakes out my corn (male) attempted to mate with my greenish rat (supposedly male). In appearance it seemed as if it was an actual mating - the corns hemipenes were inserted and both animals were intertwined and stationary.
Oh My !

It's not good practice to use an already occupied enclosure to house a snake whilst its enclosure is being cleaned ! Males of most species will combat to prove which is the most dominant, and as you have found, male and female will attempt to breed.

As a result of this instance, you could end up with 30+ corn/green rat cross hatchlings - are you prepared for that ?
wilkinss77 and Paul F like this.

Malc

Old 20-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Oh My !

It's not good practice to use an already occupied enclosure to house a snake whilst its enclosure is being cleaned ! Males of most species will combat to prove which is the most dominant, and as you have found, male and female will attempt to breed.

As a result of this instance, you could end up with 30+ corn/green rat cross hatchlings - are you prepared for that ?
I will probably just dispose of the eggs or see if I can find someone reputable to have them. Would be cool to raise some offspring though. How well developed are rat snake young when in the egg, i.e are they laid undeveloped like a chicken?

Just to note the snakes have been together before at various instances without issue, and as I thought they were both male I've never worried about breeding.

VEGANISM IS A LIE