Considering a hatching corn snake, advice on set up... - Page 14 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 17-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Regular

He's last weight check was 20 grams so he's put on some size, I must put up an updated picture of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson1990 View Post
So I tried feeding unscented and got nothing, I left it over night too with no luck.

Is it possible he'll always want scented?
I think you'll be able to convert him. Perhaps it's a project for the future though. I'd just be happy he's eating regularly, and then look at this issue later on, when he's adult size and you can afford to have a bit of a 'stand off' with him, ie have him skip a few meals until he's hungry enough to take an unscented mouse. You don't want him skipping meals at the moment if he's only 20g.

Then again, it's also possible he'll just grow out of it.

To make life easier, you could consider storing the mice in the freezer with tuna in the same container. That may save you having to scent the mouse every time you offer it. I used to have a corn that would only take rats, and to convert her to mice I just stuck a big rat in the same bag in the freezer with her mice - worked very well.
Old 17-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Regular

Yeah scenting isn't a problem for me, I don't mind doing it as long as it's getting him to eat, I'll definitely just concentrate on feeding hiim up and worry about getting him off tuna at a later date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Postaholic Member

I presume you’re feeding in evenings and have tried the hairdryer trick ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
I presume you’re feeding in evenings and have tried the hairdryer trick ..

Yes I've always fed late evenings, the hairdryer was a technique I used previous but with no luck, Tuna scented pinkies fed inside a tupperware that I cover with a towel seems to be the only trick at the minute.
Old 17-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson1990 View Post
Yes I've always fed late evenings, the hairdryer was a technique I used previous but with no luck, Tuna scented pinkies fed inside a tupperware that I cover with a towel seems to be the only trick at the minute.

If it works keep doing it

johndavidwoods and benson1990 like this.
Old 17-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Gold Star Member

I've not read through all 14 pages of the thread, but if you are covering the box with a towel, then the trick could well be that it feels more secure eating under the cover of darkness.

Try the following:

Take the tuppleware tube and cut a hole in the side that is maximum 2" in diameter. Place the pinkie / fuzzie (scented or non scented) in the box and place the box in the viv a couple of minutes before you retire for bed, so that the room (and the viv) is placed in darkness.

Check the box in the morning, and if the pink is still there, dispose of it. Leave it a couple of days and repeat. Continue to repeat this every three / four days and see if the snake takes the meal.

My guess is that the constant disturbance of removing it, placing it in a box, covering it and then placing it back in to the vivarium is not helping the snake settle in and feel confident to hunt. It goes without saying that until you get the snake feeding regularly handling is avoided.
Zincubus likes this.

Malc

Old 18-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Ultra Citizen

One thought - how many pinkies is it taking at a sitting? I'll bet by now it could take 2, so try giving 1 scented and 1 unscented. If the feeding method is still just to put it in a small box with the scented pinkie, put both pinkies in, with only 1 scented, and see if it takes both. That might be a way to dispense with the scenting a bit sooner.
Old 18-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
One thought - how many pinkies is it taking at a sitting? I'll bet by now it could take 2, so try giving 1 scented and 1 unscented. If the feeding method is still just to put it in a small box with the scented pinkie, put both pinkies in, with only 1 scented, and see if it takes both. That might be a way to dispense with the scenting a bit sooner.
hes not on pinkies anymore he's on fluffs now.
Old 18-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Ultra Citizen

Same idea could apply. When he's ready for 2 fluffs at a feed you could try it.
benson1990 likes this.

Tags
corn snake , hatching , heating , snake