Considering a hatching corn snake, advice on set up... - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 01-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Regular

So just a quick question regarding my thermostat probe placement, I know it cant be on the substrate in case the snake lays on it or moves it etc...so is where I have it placed acceptable?

Note the tape isn't permanent im just playing around with it at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson1990 View Post

So just a quick question regarding my thermostat probe placement, I know it cant be on the substrate in case the snake lays on it or moves it etc...so is where I have it placed acceptable?

Note the tape isn't permanent im just playing around with it at the moment.
Try putting it through the upper vent, & let it hang, just above the substrate.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Try putting it through the upper vent, & let it hang, just above the substrate.
^^^^ this.

Probe placement is covered in the sticky post on heating at the top of the forum. I know you are just setting things up, but I hope you have a suitable guard for the heater so that the snake can't gain access to the element.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 11:04 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
^^^^ this.

Probe placement is covered in the sticky post on heating at the top of the forum. I know you are just setting things up, but I hope you have a suitable guard for the heater so that the snake can't gain access to the element.
I have it through the top vent now, is it ok to fasten the probe to the back of the viv? I just think it looks neater.

Yeah I have a guard coming, funny you should say it actually as I just burned my wrist changing the probe!

I also plan on uploading pics of the viv with things in it just to get some opinions feedback of my setup! probably do that tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Regular

So here are a few pics of my setup

This one is basically just an overview of the whole viv, I have a hide under the heater, ahollow piece of cork bark in the middle and a coconut hide on the branch, I also plan on getting another hide for the ground area on the cool side.

Im also going to get some fake plants and greenery too.

The next one is just my positioning of the thermostat and thermometer probe, I have the thermostat probe dangling down from the top vent as suggested with the probe of the digital thermometer on top of the hide, the temps on top of the hide are around 88 Fahrenheit, the cool side ground temps are 73 ish rising to about 76 - 77 higher up towards the coconut, im measuring these temps with an IR thermometer gun by the way.

And the last one is just a side view

So any thoughts on the setup? Anything I can add or improve on? Are the temps okay etc...?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson1990 View Post
So here are a few pics of my setup

This one is basically just an overview of the whole viv, I have a hide under the heater, ahollow piece of cork bark in the middle and a coconut hide on the branch, I also plan on getting another hide for the ground area on the cool side.

Im also going to get some fake plants and greenery too.

The next one is just my positioning of the thermostat and thermometer probe, I have the thermostat probe dangling down from the top vent as suggested with the probe of the digital thermometer on top of the hide, the temps on top of the hide are around 88 Fahrenheit, the cool side ground temps are 73 ish rising to about 76 - 77 higher up towards the coconut, im measuring these temps with an IR thermometer gun by the way.

And the last one is just a side view

So any thoughts on the setup? Anything I can add or improve on? Are the temps okay etc...?
I'd reduce the basking temp to 82. Otherwise it all looks fine.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Gold Star Member

It's getting there. Once a guard is fitted, and a few plastic plants have been added it will be ideal for the snake.

Just one observation. It looks like you've used a plastic ES lamp socket to hold the ceramic. IF this is the case then that should be changed for the proper ceramic fitment. Whilst the heater is under thermostatic control, if the stat should fail they tend to fail in the ON position. A ceramic heater if left to run direct from mains has the potential to melt the plastic and that's a fire risk.

Malc

Old 02-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Regular

The lamp holder is ceramic.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Ultra Citizen

The guard for the heater is essential - I know you said you were getting one, but just to re-emphasise, this must be in place before you get the snake.

I'd say you're wasting a lot of usable space by not having more climbing branches. You could also incorporate some elevated hides if you wanted, but much larger, taller branches would be a great addition for a start.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Regular

The guard is on now.

Im having a hard time finding bigger branches to be honest, what do you think of taking the two I have and placing them both down the cool side and building a higher climbing spot down that end of the viv?

Im picking the snake up wednesday so I'll what else I can pick up then.

Tags
corn snake , hatching , heating , snake