Considering a hatching corn snake, advice on set up... - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson1990 View Post
The guard is on now.

Im having a hard time finding bigger branches to be honest, what do you think of taking the two I have and placing them both down the cool side and building a higher climbing spot down that end of the viv?

Im picking the snake up wednesday so I'll what else I can pick up then.
Absolutely fine. Would probably be better than the current layout.

Remember you don't have to buy branches in a reptile store, you can collect them from local woods.

Exciting times, enjoy getting the snake on Wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Super Regular

I never considered getting branches from outside on account of what might be on them, chemicals, parasites etc...
Old 04-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
I never considered getting branches from outside on account of what might be on them, chemicals, parasites etc...
You can use a strong solution of F10 disinfectant and (if it fits) bake the branch on a low heat in an oven to kill off any bugs.

Ideal branches are from fruit trees. Avoid pine trees as their sap is sticky and can be an annoyance to the snakes skin.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
The risks appear to be massively over-stated. As Malc says, there are precautionary steps you can take, but many people don't do anything to them at all - just collect and place in viv. Those who succeed with the latter approach are just sensible about where they collect from - for example proper wild woodland as opposed to parks or anywhere intensively managed.

If I were kitting out a viv now, I wouldn't hesitate to collect branches from the woods.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Super Regular

So I got my snake!

However, I opted to put him in a fuanarium to start with as he's so small. I mean he's smaller than I anticipated to be honest and id be terrified of an escape, at the size he is now I don't think id trust anything I did to make it escape proof.

The person I bought off of told me he could also potentially get into the ceramic guard which really worried me, I then had another person from my local pet shop tell me they had a similar snake escape on them from a vivarium, never to be seen again.

As soon as I feel he can't get through and holes or cracks I'll leave him to the main viv.
johndavidwoods and Sylvi like this.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Ultra Citizen

Enjoy having him! What did you go for in the end?

Fair enough re the faunarium. Escapes are a very real risk and they're also easier to locate and monitor in smaller spaces.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:39 AM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
So I got my snake!

However, I opted to put him in a fuanarium to start with as he's so small. I mean he's smaller than I anticipated to be honest and id be terrified of an escape, at the size he is now I don't think id trust anything I did to make it escape proof.

The person I bought off of told me he could also potentially get into the ceramic guard which really worried me, I then had another person from my local pet shop tell me they had a similar snake escape on them from a vivarium, never to be seen again.

As soon as I feel he can't get through and holes or cracks I'll leave him to the main viv.

That's a good idea, tiny Corn snakes can also wiggle through the gap between the 2 glass sliding doors, he'll soon grow big enough to put into the viv.
Check the temps on top of the viv running as there will be a hot spot above the lamp on the top - parts of it will be too hot mind. I've used that in the past to keep snakes warm and currently have my spiders on my viv tops in various places.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
Enjoy having him! What did you go for in the end?

Fair enough re the faunarium. Escapes are a very real risk and they're also easier to locate and monitor in smaller spaces.
I ended up getting a pied blood het anery hypo, male.

As it turned out they didn't have the type I originally picked, which was a cinder, to be honest it didn't really matter to me if it was a fancy morph or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvi View Post
That's a good idea, tiny Corn snakes can also wiggle through the gap between the 2 glass sliding doors, he'll soon grow big enough to put into the viv.
Check the temps on top of the viv running as there will be a hot spot above the lamp on the top - parts of it will be too hot mind. I've used that in the past to keep snakes warm and currently have my spiders on my viv tops in various places.
I have the fuanarium inside the viv down towards the cool end, I have it resting on about 1/3 of a small heat mat, I have the thermostat probe for the heat mat taped down to the mat itself on the outside of the funarium, then I have an exo terra digital thermometer pinned down inside the faunarium on the hot side just under a little substrate, hot side reaching about 29 - 30 degrees, cool end low 70's, this set up okay?
Sylvi likes this.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
I have the fuanarium inside the viv down towards the cool end, I have it resting on about 1/3 of a small heat mat, I have the thermostat probe for the heat mat taped down to the mat itself on the outside of the funarium, then I have an exo terra digital thermometer pinned down inside the faunarium on the hot side just under a little substrate, hot side reaching about 29 - 30 degrees, cool end low 70's, this set up okay?
Sounds perfect.
Sylvi likes this.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Super Regular

Also the person i bought him from said its been a week since he last ate and is due a feed and told me to try in 48hrs, should i try or give him more time?

Tags
corn snake , hatching , heating , snake