Need help and advice - Snake not feeding (at least 6 weeks) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 25-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Egg
Default Need help and advice - Snake not feeding (at least 6 weeks)

Hi there i need some help and dont know where to start so ive started here! I have been given what ive been told is a Rat Snake 4ft. On the 22nd June 2019 I was given him by a man who has cancer and has been in and out of hospital for a few months, therefore not being able to look after him, therefore he was just left to it, as his wife was too scared of him, and just kept putting mice in his tank, there were at least 7 mice left in there when i got him. I had no idea what to do so i took the mice out and changed his water. I did some research so didnt handle him for a few days. That day he shreaded, with no problems. But the problem we have is since then he has not eaten a thing, ive tried him a few times with a mouse but he shows no interest what so ever, to the point where he will slither over it. Its now been well over 5 weeks. I have been keeping an eye on him and he has been drinking and he did his last poo about 8 days ago.
I think ive told you all i know.

So any ideas what to do? Because im kinda stressing here, don't want him to die on me, my little boy loves him.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Postaholic Member
Default Need help and advice - Snake not feeding (at least 6 weeks)

Next feeding attempt ....

Have a hairdryer plugged in close by . .. get the mouse on some tongs and blast with the hairdryer for ten seconds then offer to the snake INSTANTLY whilst itís still warm .. if it shows interest keep reheating and offering . If it shows no interest in a warm mouse .. it ainít hungry

I have a couple of adult Corn snakes that have been off their food for a month or two ...

Probably the time of year !!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Zincubus; 25-07-2019 at 01:40 PM..
Old 25-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Forum Citizen

If the snake doesnt look skinny and it is actively flickering it's tongue with no obviously problems then don't worry to much at this time about it keeling over and dying, though we have to get things sorted.

We are going to have to know how you are keeping it ( enclosure type, bedding and how you are heating and controlling the heat) and what species is it? A picture would be great if you don't know. At least what continent the snake is from would even be a big step in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millington12 View Post
Hi there i need some help and dont know where to start so ive started here! I have been given what ive been told is a Rat Snake 4ft. On the 22nd June 2019 I was given him by a man who has cancer and has been in and out of hospital for a few months, therefore not being able to look after him, therefore he was just left to it, as his wife was too scared of him, and just kept putting mice in his tank, there were at least 7 mice left in there when i got him. I had no idea what to do so i took the mice out and changed his water. I did some research so didnt handle him for a few days. That day he shreaded, with no problems. But the problem we have is since then he has not eaten a thing, ive tried him a few times with a mouse but he shows no interest what so ever, to the point where he will slither over it. Its now been well over 5 weeks. I have been keeping an eye on him and he has been drinking and he did his last poo about 8 days ago.

So any ideas what to do? Because im kinda stressing here, don't want him to die on me, my little boy loves him.

Thanks
The golden rule when seeking advice is to provide as much information on how you are hosing the snake and controlling environmental conditions. There are lots of reasons why the snake hasn't eaten, some related to these factors. Post up this information and we can advise better

5 weeks is not a long time for a rat snake to go without food, so no need to stress.

Malc

Old 25-07-2019, 02:08 PM
Premier Member

Quote:

Thanks
First of all that enclosure must have absolutely stank if she left 7 dead mice in it!!

As others have already said, don't worry too much - 6 weeks is not a long period of time for him to not eat and the fact he's past feaces is a good sign. My corns are off food at the moment & some snakes go months without eating, if he's active and looks healthy/alert then really don't worry.

In the meantime, if you could give us details of his enclosure then we can certainly pinpoint any issues which may be triggering problems for him
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Old 25-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Forum Citizen

I get the impression these were live mice....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 25-07-2019, 03:07 PM
Egg
Default Thanks guys

Thanks guys for your help and advice. Yes, he looks fine and is drinking showing all signs of being normal, ie, active and showing his tongue.
Yes the tank stunk, the mice were put in dead, the previous owners wife must have refused to go near him, and just threw them in, incase he got hungry lol.

Ill post pics and temperature details soon.

Thanks again, no doubt ill be using this site regularly.
Old 25-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks guys for your help and advice. Yes, he looks fine and is drinking showing all signs of being normal, ie, active and showing his tongue.
Yes the tank stunk, the mice were put in dead, the previous owners wife must have refused to go near him, and just threw them in, incase he got hungry lol.

Ill post pics and temperature details soon.

Thanks again, no doubt ill be using this site regularly.

I can't even think about how that house must have smelt, mine stinks bad even if one snake doesn't eat a mouse!

fab , I look forward to seeing updates
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Old 25-07-2019, 03:45 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanna View Post

I can't even think about how that house must have smelt, mine stinks bad even if one snake doesn't eat a mouse!

fab , I look forward to seeing updates

So true !!

Even a flamin pinkie left a couple of days stinks the place out !

Roseanna likes this.
Old 26-07-2019, 12:59 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
So true !!

Even a flamin pinkie left a couple of days stinks the place out !

Oh yes believe me it was BAD, got them out straight away,i felt sorry for the snake, hes in a much better place now though - the only problem i have is i have no idea how many hes eat, over how long, which has really messed things up for him.
How will i know when hes hungry? At the moment im trying him every Friday but with no joy and obviously wasting a few mice.

Thanks