breeding red tail boas BCC - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanna View Post
I need a BCC in my life.

Just curious, are they known to hybridise with BCI's in the wild ? or is this not possible due to location etc?
I would have thought that on the fringes where their area's overlap it's quite possible. In fact it occurs with most snakes of the same family where their regions overlap. Corn snakes for example will breed with other N. American rat snakes, but in the wild its probably fairly rare as normally there will be an abundance of other Corn snakes in the area, and the same for boa's.

To show you what a mess the hobby is in with regards to captive bred boa's here is a couple of pictures of mine. A jungle pastel Boa Imperator, but with a lot of BCC traits.

Lovely pink salmon flanks, "eyebrows" on the head, bat wing saddles all the way down his back, and lovely light red triangles outlined in white on his tail... but he was sold as a BI, and I have no reason not to think otherwise as even a scale count won't prove otherwise. Regardless of the species, he's a cracking looking snake with a very laid back behaviour....
richardhind likes this.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
I've written this before when people bring up the subject of finding / owning true red tails, or true BCC....

30-40 years ago it was easy to find BCC and BCI (as it was then before commons were predesignated BI). The traits of a BCC, such as the bat wing markings, colouration, and more importantly the scale counts clearly identified the difference between the two. Also everything was pretty much natural colouration and patterning, and you could get some really cracking deep port red or letterbox red tails.

The main issue people had was true BCC tended to grow larger than common BCIs and whilst still attractive lacked the cleaner defined and colourful markings of BCC, so people started to cross them in a bid to get the traits of BCC in a BCI package. However what tended to happen was that you then got BCC with traits from BCI as well. Then people started doing the same with the smaller island sub-species, the idea that a small 5' hog island or clay's boa that looked like a miniature red tail would be so appealing that it made sense to do so... but then the gene pool became really messed up.

As you know, morphs have dominated the past two decades, and traits such as speckling, moustaches marking, crucifix markings, have all been altered through selective breeding of various morph and bloodlines. Now you can get a boa that has a nice clean belly with no speckling, no cross on its head, bat wing saddles all down its back, bright white lining of deep wine red triangles on its tail. The scale count is neither BI or BCI.... (the difference used to be a good 20 or more between them).

BCC
scale counts - 75 to 95 dorsal rows.
227 to 250 ventrals.
49 to 62 subcaudals.

BCI
scale counts - 56 to 79 dorsal rows.
225 to 253 ventrals.
47 to 65 subcaudals.

However, it's also been proven that some regional BCC's don't always exhibit some of the original traits such as the bat wing / widow spikes. Ian Kerr is a forum member who has a stunning collection of boa's, with know bloodlines. Here is an image of a Peruvian red tail

Not a bat wing in sight......

Andy (user name brothrops ) gives a further example

But just to show how selective breeding (and possible crossing to get the traits) have a look at this image found on a google search

No crucifix on the head, no "eyebrow" markings on the head, virtually no saddles to speak of, no speckling, very clean salmon body, and brilliant red tail markings on a bright white background..... so diverse from the BCC's that were offered for sale a various reptile shows back in the 90's

If you want something that is a true BCC, with a know bloodline then drop Ian or Andy a PM as see if they have any breeding projects in the pipeline, or if not, I'm sure they could put you in the right direction

Thanks a lot thats really clear. I kinda pieced together some of what you mean from other forum posts but nowhere has it been so well explained, cheers.

interesting how people don't like the size, i have a dumerils boa which is almost 7' and i much prefer handling it and other larger boas than say royals or something. I guess when they get to 9' and more then that goes too far haha

I will message them both and see what they say. Hopefully I'll find one, I'll let you guys know when i do!
Malc and richardhind like this.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Gold Star Member

I forgot to add that my boa (5 yrs old) measures just a shade over 8', which would (IMO) suggest that somewhere down the generations a BCC was introduced to the mix, as male BI tend to average 6-7'

When you do find what you're looking for please document it. And name the source as it will help for future reference as we can point anyone who asks similar questions in future to this thread
richardhind likes this.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
I forgot to add that my boa (5 yrs old) measures just a shade over 8', which would (IMO) suggest that somewhere down the generations a BCC was introduced to the mix, as male BI tend to average 6-7'

When you do find what you're looking for please document it. And name the source as it will help for future reference as we can point anyone who asks similar questions in future to this thread
He looks great, nice size too.
Yeah of course, I will do!
Old 07-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Ultra Citizen

I happened to see a post on Facebook from CPR yesterday that showed a number of 'genuine BCC' animals just in. No idea on localities though.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
I happened to see a post on Facebook from CPR yesterday that showed a number of 'genuine BCC' animals just in. No idea on localities though.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Tags
bcc , breeding , red tail boa