Complete newbie confused by conflicting advice - Page 15 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 17-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Ultra Citizen

Looks great.

Personally I would leave the log whole. It's a really good conduit the snake can use to cross the viv under cover.

I agree you could add taller features now, it will use them. But it's a great set up as it is, lucky snake getting an owner like you.
Lung likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
I agree you could add taller features now, it will use them.
Ok, i thought being so small it might be best to keep it relatively low for the time being but I'm happy to add taller features now if it'll make use of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Looking good... hate to think how much you got ripped off for those posh branches ??
The log and the bare branch felt reasonable but the long thin branch did feel like a rip off when it arrived.
Old 17-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Super Regular

Setup looks great! If you're anything like me you'll be adding bits and pieces all the time and it can be a money sink... So a few tips on saving money that I've learnt in all my less than 1 years experience, and not sacrificing quality. (sorry if these have been mentioned, I'm not going through 15 pages!)

Buy bulk and buy non branded reptile stuff. Substrate such as coco fibre, sphagnum moss, plain ol dirt, orchid bark can all be bought at garden centres or online in bulk for much cheaper. Same goes for equipment like thermometers/hygrometers and plug timers.

It is a good idea to go with respected reptile brands on things like electronics though. Eg, heating, lighting, UVB, thermostats.

Go outside for branches. Google safe trees for reptiles (most seem to be fine, but better to be safe) and learn to recognise them, it's easier than you'd think. Choose fallen branches that are not rotting and seem pretty clean and sturdy or cut some yourself (if you have permission). I always get branches bigger than I need and cut them down at home. I wasted so much money on branches that turned out to be absolutely useless as they would be too short or too bottom heavy to really secure in place.

Some DIY know-how always comes in handy. There are a lot of tutorials on how to make your own hides, backgrounds, vines, ledges, or even your own vivarium. You could also recycle some old furniture like a cabinet into an enclosure. Also comes in handy just figuring out the best way to attach light fittings/tidy cables.

One last thing I'll mention (not a money saving thing) is that some facebook groups do have some great info (and a lot are awful with people throwing opinions around as fact). The most informative with actual research being Advancing Herpetological Husbandry and Reptile Lighting. There are a lot of groups and probably worth a join if you just want to trawl through their files and search other questions asked before. And kinda entertaining to see someone post something "controversial" and watch as the war unfolds...
wilkinss77 and Lung like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Regular

Plissken arrives on Thursday! Do I leave him for a week after getting him before I try to feed him? As ever, opinion seems to vary wildly.
Old 23-10-2019, 12:03 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post
Plissken arrives on Thursday! Do I leave him for a week after getting him before I try to feed him? As ever, opinion seems to vary wildly.
I usually try the day after getting the snake, & if it won't feed I wait a week before trying again.
Zincubus and Lung like this.
Old 23-10-2019, 12:45 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
I usually try the day after getting the snake, & if it won't feed I wait a week before trying again.

This ^ but donít handle until itís had a few feeds..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 23-10-2019, 12:52 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
When was the snake last fed ? If it was juts a couple of days ago then wait a week, if it was a week ago then leave it a day and then offer something.

It can take a while as each snake is different. My newly acquired Bairds yearling took a meal three days after getting her, and that was a drop feed left overnight... tonight was the 6th feed and she snatched the fluff from the tongs...

If when you offer food it shows little or no interest just place it somewhere near the snake and leave it over night. Just because the snake doesn't strike and rip the mouse from the tongs / tweezers don't keep trying to try and force the interest by constantly shoving it under its nose.
wilkinss77 and Lung like this.

Malc

Old 23-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
When was the snake last fed ? If it was juts a couple of days ago then wait a week, if it was a week ago then leave it a day and then offer something.
Last wednesday it looks like, so I'll try some food on friday.
Old 23-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Regular

A couple of scenery questions: people say "no pine" in the vivarium, but is that only for fresh pine? What about ancient, fully dried pine like old broom handles etc? Also, should i be hot gluing everything in place, or while the snake is small is it ok just having branches loose?
Old 23-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
A couple of scenery questions: people say "no pine" in the vivarium, but is that only for fresh pine? What about ancient, fully dried pine like old broom handles etc? Also, should i be hot gluing everything in place, or while the snake is small is it ok just having branches loose?
Yeah fresh pine will ooze sap and has a lot of it. I'd imagine it takes a long time to dry it out too. Anything made from pine will most likely be kiln dried which is fine though.

As for hot gluing stuff in place, I do with anything easily toppled but most things are just wedged in. Rocks are handy to put around the base of stuff to keep them steady

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Lung likes this.