Complete newbie confused by conflicting advice - Page 17 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 25-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
He is a cracking looking snake -

If you haven't purchased some feeding tongs used some blunt end tweezers for now and gently wiggle it a few inches in front of him. You will probably see him show interest by rapid flicks of his tongue and he will approach the mouse. He might suddenly lunge at it, coil and strike, or just open his mouth and gently take it. If he doesn't take it, then leave it near him and don't disturb him until morning to inspect to see if the mouse is missing.
Ok i'll give that a try. I'll do it the very last thing before bed so if he doesn't take it straight away he'll be in darkness rather than having to put up with Gogglebox or whatever is on TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post
Ok good, that's reassuring. First feed is going to be tonight so I want to get it right. For this one i'm intending to locate him in the viv and then just put the mouse nearby and leave it at that.

He is indeed an Abbott's, and yes, he's beautiful. So pleased with him.
Personally I think your first thoughts on feeding method are the best way to go. If the snake runs for cover when you enter the room (perfectly normal at this stage) it may be too freaked out by an arm in its viv proffering a mouse on some tongs. I would just leave it in there myself, as you suggest.

How big is the mouse in relation to the snake? Wider than the thickest part of the snake's body? If so, by about how much?
Old 25-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
How big is the mouse in relation to the snake? Wider than the thickest part of the snake's body? If so, by about how much?
I've barely seen him so it's really hard to judge! I'd guess he was ~15mm across...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-2019, 03:24 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
I've barely seen him so it's really hard to judge! I'd guess he was ~15mm across...
The mouse or the snake? To determine if the food item is too big, we need an idea of how they are in relation to each other. We don't need a number, we need to know if the mouse is as wide as the snake's body, or wider. If wider, by how many times? 1 and a half times the width of the snake? Twice as wide as the snake? More?
Old 25-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
The mouse or the snake? To determine if the food item is too big, we need an idea of how they are in relation to each other. We don't need a number, we need to know if the mouse is as wide as the snake's body, or wider. If wider, by how many times? 1 and a half times the width of the snake? Twice as wide as the snake? More?
I really don't know without fishing the snake out and comparing. The mouse is definitely wider than the body. I don't think it was twice as wide but it probably isn't far off.
Old 25-10-2019, 11:54 PM
Regular

Well that went as well as I could have possibly hoped. I went and did the dishes and warmed the mouse through in a bowl of warm water, then went back into the living room where my wife stopped me as Plissken was poking his head out of his log tunnel. This is the first time since I put him in that he's appeared with a light on. He disappeared again when I went over to the viv so I held the mouse at the same end of the log as we'd seen him but nothing happened. At the other end of the log is his water bowl which is actually a butter dish with a central bowl for water and a flat rim that I could put the mouse on. As soon as I put the mouse on the rim of the dish, Plissken appeared and very gently grabbed it by the face, then slooooowly dragged it into his log. Success!

The only reservation now is that it really did look big, so I'm hoping when we check the log tomorrow it's not in there partially eaten but regurgitated.
Old 26-10-2019, 01:30 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Well that went as well as I could have possibly hoped. I went and did the dishes and warmed the mouse through in a bowl of warm water, then went back into the living room where my wife stopped me as Plissken was poking his head out of his log tunnel. This is the first time since I put him in that he's appeared with a light on. He disappeared again when I went over to the viv so I held the mouse at the same end of the log as we'd seen him but nothing happened. At the other end of the log is his water bowl which is actually a butter dish with a central bowl for water and a flat rim that I could put the mouse on. As soon as I put the mouse on the rim of the dish, Plissken appeared and very gently grabbed it by the face, then slooooowly dragged it into his log. Success!

The only reservation now is that it really did look big, so I'm hoping when we check the log tomorrow it's not in there partially eaten but regurgitated.
Corns are so hardy you don't need to worry.
He's fed which is good.
Don't make the mistake so many new keepers seem to make, and just feed the same prey every feed.
Increase the size at regular intervals.
Generally the 6 week system is great for colubrids. Quite simply, every 6 weeks in rease food size.
Lung likes this.
Old 26-10-2019, 03:26 AM
Gold Star Member

Excellent, sounds like you have a healthy and hearty snake, and one that hasn't been excessively stressed to go off food.

Don't disturb him. You will know if the mouse has been left, your nose will inform you. If you lift up the log now there could be a chance of stressing him and he may bring the meal back up.

Now that he has settled in, maybe start a new thread for any further questions as this has now strayed off topic from your original post
wilkinss77 and Lung like this.

Malc

Old 26-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Corns are so hardy you don't need to worry.
He's fed which is good.
Don't make the mistake so many new keepers seem to make, and just feed the same prey every feed.
Increase the size at regular intervals.
Generally the 6 week system is great for colubrids. Quite simply, every 6 weeks in rease food size.
Every 6 weeks?! By the time he's 10 he'll be eating whole cows! Thanks though, I had wondered when to move up a feed size. I bought 10 fluffs so I'll use them then move up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Excellent, sounds like you have a healthy and hearty snake, and one that hasn't been excessively stressed to go off food.

Don't disturb him. You will know if the mouse has been left, your nose will inform you. If you lift up the log now there could be a chance of stressing him and he may bring the meal back up.

Now that he has settled in, maybe start a new thread for any further questions as this has now strayed off topic from your original post
I'm hoping he's as happy as can be, and I won't be checking for the mouse. I can't really lift the log up as it's whole and I'd lift the snake up at the same time if he was inside. It going to make cleaning poo our fun if he craps inside the log.

Good idea on the new thread, will get some more photos and start it.

Last edited by Lung; 26-10-2019 at 01:29 PM..
Old 26-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Every 6 weeks?! By the time he's 10 he'll be eating whole cows! Thanks though, I had wondered when to move up a feed size. I bought 10 fluffs so I'll use them then move up.
Until he's reached adulthood, not for ever! That should take about two years.