Complete newbie confused by conflicting advice - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #11 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 90
Default

Wow, thank you all for the advice. It's a lot to take in but i want to get it correct first time so it's worth doing it properly.

I'm leaning more towards a Rosy Boa at the moment if i can find one close enough to go and look at myself in person. Failing that, is couriering ok? I see most shops offer it but again I don't want to do something that could potentially harm the snake before it's even arrived. I figure a professional courier would be better at transporting a snake for 5 hours than I would though.

For the enclose, are starter kits like this any good, or are they a trap to suck newbies in and would need upgrading very quickly afterwards? To return to substrate chat, this pack includes the choice of 4 different substrates, and on reading up on them Lignocel sounds ideal for a burrowing snake. Any thoughts on Lignocel?

Is there any such thing as too big a viv for a snake? Rosys don't grow big, 3' for females and 2' for males, so a large tank isn't necessary, but is it *better*, or could it be too big and make a snake feel lost and scared?

Sorry for all the questions!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Regular
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Wales
Posts: 142
Default

Not read the whole thread as I'm in work right now, but just want to say research as much as you possibly can. This will save you time and money in the future. There is not any one way to keep an animal and each method has it's pros and cons. You will find arguments for and against pretty much all aspects of care so it's best to take everything with a pinch of salt and make up your own mind.


Care sheets are a good starting place but often tell you the minimum requirements for keeping reptiles so are pretty basic. I'm often skeptical of caresheets provided by online stores/pet shops as I feel they try to push certain products that might not be relevant plus their "starter setups" are usually pretty awful. This forum has a great archive of discussions so use the search function. Also, facebook groups can be good but there are many idiots on them who will take shots at people to boost their own ego. Don't be afraid of them though and ask questions no matter how basic they might be. If you get shot down by anyone, just know that the rest of us think they are dickheads too!


Last thing I'll suggest are podcasts. The main ones I listen to are Animals at Home for a formal discussion and Reptile n Chill which can be off putting when you first listen as they are very informal! But they have had some very knowledgable guests on and have a great community group.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post
Is there any such thing as too big a viv for a snake? Rosys don't grow big, 3' for females and 2' for males, so a large tank isn't necessary, but is it *better*, or could it be too big and make a snake feel lost and scared?

IMO larger is better providing it is setup well. Snakes like to feel secure so providing plenty of cover is essential. Personally, I wouldn't provide anything less than a viv at least as long as the snake itself. When I first got my snake I had 2 hides and a water bowl and I barely saw my snake. Now I provide it 6 hides of various sizes, plenty of fake plants cover, a bit of leaf litter and deep substrate so it can go from one end of the viv to the other without ever being seen. However, I see it more now than I ever did with a more basic enclosure.


That's me done, good luck! I gotta do some work now...
Cthulhu slumbers and Lung like this.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Roseanna's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 8,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post
Is there any such thing as too big a viv for a snake? Rosys don't grow big, 3' for females and 2' for males, so a large tank isn't necessary, but is it *better*, or could it be too big and make a snake feel lost and scared?

Sorry for all the questions!
If i'm brutally honest, my theory is that people use the excuse of 'snakes prefer small & enclosed area's as they feel more secure' to normalise putting them into the smallest enclosure possible.

You could give a snake a whole room to itself if you really wanted to, as long as you put a lot of hides & cover in there it will be fine. It's true, they want to feel secure but in my experience they also enjoy exploring - I personally believe it's only fair to give them the option to choose for themselves.

With that being said, small enclosures do have advantages if used for quarantine, baby snakes etc.

I like to give my snakes as much space as possibly but with plenty of hides & they seem to all be doing fine
Lung likes this.
__________________
Reptiles & Amphibians
1.1.0 Corn snakes- ripley & Sniv.
0.0.1 Jungle carpet python - Vinnie,
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa - (Soon to be arriving)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 03:56 PM
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stevenage, UK
Posts: 6,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post

Sorry for all the questions!
Don't be - that's all part of the research. The only thing is that you can end up more confused as a dozen people will give a dozen different suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post
Wow, thank you all for the advice. It's a lot to take in but i want to get it correct first time so it's worth doing it properly.
I understand your logic, but you'll never get it right first time, and in relation to above, what is right in the eyes of one person will be wrong to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post

I'm leaning more towards a Rosy Boa at the moment if i can find one close enough to go and look at myself in person. Failing that, is couriering ok? I see most shops offer it but again I don't want to do something that could potentially harm the snake before it's even arrived. I figure a professional courier would be better at transporting a snake for 5 hours than I would though.
There are some very reputable reptile couriers, but personally I like to go and see / handle any snake I am purchasing. Rather than pay the £40 - £70 ish cost for a courier, give it to a friend / relative with a car towards the cost of petrol. I'm sure you will find somewhere in the SW of England that has some for sale. If not now then wait until some become available. Have a look in the classified section and register an interest by placing a wanted add. - 5hrs would not be a problem for the snake, even a boa. Chances are (even in the middle of winter) the car will be warm enough for the duration.

I collected a Royal python from London, around an hour away from where we live and had the misfortune to break down on the M25 on a cold winters day. Normal safety means that you don't sit in the car waiting for the RAC/AA, so I stood well clear up the embankment under a tree. The snake was in a pillow case shoved up under my jumper so my body heat kept it warm. Bottom line is that it was nearly four hours by the time we were taken back home and I got the snake in its viv... snake was fine !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post
For the enclose, are starter kits like this any good, or are they a trap to suck newbies in and would need upgrading very quickly afterwards? To return to substrate chat, this pack includes the choice of 4 different substrates, and on reading up on them Lignocel sounds ideal for a burrowing snake. Any thoughts on Lignocel?

Is there any such thing as too big a viv for a snake? Rosys don't grow big, 3' for females and 2' for males, so a large tank isn't necessary, but is it *better*, or could it be too big and make a snake feel lost and scared?
Go as big as you can afford or can accommodate. If you have space for a 4' viv then get that. The snake will make use of the available space. You will also get a better wider thermal gradient in the enclosure.

Often the bundles do save you money, compared to the MRRP of the item. But if you shop around and compare the prices of things from other suppliers you can get things cheaper than the bundled price, however you should also factor in the cost of delivery from all the different outlets. A bundled "kit " often has free delivery.

That's a nice set up, but do you really need a stand / cabinet? If not then what would be the cost of the kit without it. It does offer the means to hide the electrics and house bags of substrate etc, and will give you a focal point in the main room. - I would budget £450 - £500 max for a set up, plus the cost of the snake.
Lung likes this.
__________________
Regards

Malc

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stevenage, UK
Posts: 6,216
Default

OK, hope the following helps save you a bit of cash. - Monkfield vivs tend to have a poor reputation. I've not used Repti-vivs myself, but they have been reviewed on YT and are well received

48" x 18" x 18" solid back vivarium form Repti-life (https://www.repti-life.co.uk/ - £83.99
48" cabinet to suit the above - £92.99

The following were sourced from Swell Reptiles website

Evo lite stat - £88.05 ( a nice stat, but cheaper alternatives can be found saving £50 or there about)
Komodo 100w CHE - £17.70
Guard - £6.99
Bracket - £11.58

Starter unit for T8 tube - £27.79
5% UV tube - 45" - £15.29
Reflector - £12.94

I've not bothered pricing up water bowls etc as these are so varied and IMO some of the so called "rock" / "natural" looking bowls are a pain to clean and don't hold a lot of water. Any of the ceramic rabbit / cat / dog bowls are fine (and cheaper)

The above comes to £360.32

Buying a cheaper basic pulse proportional thermostat could save you £50 and still do the job, but doesn't have all the functionality as the Eco range.

The "package deal" for the same size viv from Global (link you provided) including substrate comes to £402. - Are the branches, hide an water bowls worth the £42 extra - and you'll end up with a mediocre quality vivarium.
Lung likes this.
__________________
Regards

Malc


Last edited by Malc; 19-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: uploaded too soon - fat fingers
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
I'm sure you will find somewhere in the SW of England that has some for sale. If not now then wait until some become available.
There's a Sand Boa a short drive away, but no Rosy Boas. I've asked the local dealers to keep an eye out for one appearing on their wholesale lists.

Quote:
Go as big as you can afford or can accommodate. If you have space for a 4' viv then get that. The snake will make use of the available space. You will also get a better wider thermal gradient in the enclosure.
I'll do some measuring up of likely locations and see what i can fit. I might have to sweet talk my wife into letting me put it on the sideboard

Quote:
Often the bundles do save you money, compared to the MRRP of the item. But if you shop around and compare the prices of things from other suppliers you can get things cheaper than the bundled price, however you should also factor in the cost of delivery from all the different outlets. A bundled "kit " often has free delivery.

That's a nice set up, but do you really need a stand / cabinet? If not then what would be the cost of the kit without it. It does offer the means to hide the electrics and house bags of substrate etc, and will give you a focal point in the main room. - I would budget £450 - £500 max for a set up, plus the cost of the snake.
No, no need for a stand at all. That was just the first example that came to hand. I know from other hobbies that starter kits are often junk, used to shift cheap stock and are a bit of a waste of time. I just wanted to check if the same was true here, good to hear they are decent. If i can't find a suitable starter kit, i'll base my setup around this if i can squeeze in a 4' viv or this if i can only fit a 3'. At less than £20 extra, the 4' seems the way to go. Are these worth the extra over the standard versions? I can't compare the benefits of this design over the other to say whether it's worth the extra £60. Finally, for a terrestrial snake like a Rosy or Sand Boa, would a viv like this be suitable?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stevenage, UK
Posts: 6,216
Default

Do you have shares in Northampton Reptiles

Personally I would get a vivarium from the link I provided. Here's a review https://youtu.be/H55QsUQsy_8

I wouldn't trust that easy vent option - if that got pulled out as a result of a snake using the wires as a branch then you'll be searching for days to find your snake.

Sweet talk the wife just to get permission to place a viv on top of the unit.... I know that... this cost me a months worth of washing up duties

Lung likes this.
__________________
Regards

Malc

Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Do you have shares in Northampton Reptiles
They happened to have the various vivs i was looking at all on one page, and at a decent price, so it was easiest to link them all from there.

Quote:
Personally I would get a vivarium from the link I provided. Here's a review https://youtu.be/H55QsUQsy_8

I wouldn't trust that easy vent option - if that got pulled out as a result of a snake using the wires as a branch then you'll be searching for days to find your snake.

Sweet talk the wife just to get permission to place a viv on top of the unit.... I know that... this cost me a months worth of washing up duties

image
Thanks for this. I clicked reply before your second post and then took ages posting so missed it completely. I'll watch the video while i cook dinner. Point taken on the easy vent, i thought i must be missing something to justify the extra cost, but if they have a potential flaw like that I'll steer well clear. Sadly I already do all the washing up, maybe the vacuuming would be an option....
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 09:47 PM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
48" x 18" x 18" solid back vivarium form Repti-life (https://www.repti-life.co.uk/ - £83.99
These do look very nice. Is the only difference between the life and the luxe the thickness of the materials? If so, i'd think the 18mm board is worth the extra few £ over the 15mm, particularly if I ever wanted a second stacked viv.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2019, 11:36 PM
chris25's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South coast
Posts: 2,807
Default

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...w-set-ups.html

my vivs were bought from repti-life, all in the complete set up cost in the region of 250 per viv with an additional 90 for the microclimate evo stat, a great useable stat
__________________
anything you wanna know....just search the forum lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)