Green Tree Pythons - how many days post-shed until egg deposition? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 21-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Forum Citizen
Default Green Tree Pythons - how many days post-shed until egg deposition?

Hi guys. I have what I believe to be a gravid female GTP that is at 22 days post pre-lay shed but hasn't laid yet. It's been a strange process breeding her this time round (I bred her for the first time last year, with just one fertile egg and 12 infertile or slugs). She was bred several times in January and early February but then went all the way until July 30th until the pre-lay shed, with no particularly obvious ovulation event. Went off feed a couple of months back.
Also, she prolapsed towards the end of February. I caught it pretty quick, soaked her and managed to get it back in without much trouble, fed her sparsely with small rats after that and haven't had any issues since then. She defecated a lot with the pre-lay shed and I did wonder if she was actually gravid after that because she got a fair bit thinner. However, given that she went off feed, still looks bulkier than normal (given that she hasn't eaten in a while and was only on reduced food for a while before then due to the prolapse) and had what appeared to be a pre-lay shed I assume she is gravid.

Today is 22 days post shed and she hasn't laid. I locked her into the nest box on day 14 as she showed no signs of moving from her perch, have kept the cage humid and offered her a small amount of water in a small water bowl every day or so inside the nest box.

I just handled her to check if I could locate any hard lumps or bulges that may indicate egg binding but couldn't find anything. I let her body run along my finger for the whole length and couldn't detect any bumps, hard areas or lumps that may indicate a blockage. As yet she has made no attempt at laying them so it doesn't appear to be a case of being egg bound, from what I've read on it.

Is she still within the time frame? The More Complete Chondro says up to 21 days but I'm not sure if anyone knows if it goes beyond that point?

Last edited by Morgoth; 21-08-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Premier Member

No Expert with GTP, but you can't always go by the books - she'll lay when she's ready assuming she is gravid. It's normally quite obvious if a snake is carrying eggs as they tend to be the same body thickness near the vent as they are half way up from the vent - looking like they are just about to drop a huge poo ! The under body also seem more rounded.

With regards to the number of days, it's not an exact science. Most say royals will drop 28 days after pre-lay shed... my girl dropped her clutch of 9 eggs 23 days later !!
Morgoth likes this.

Malc

Old 21-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
No Expert with GTP, but you can't always go by the books - she'll lay when she's ready assuming she is gravid. It's normally quite obvious if a snake is carrying eggs as they tend to be the same body thickness near the vent as they are half way up from the vent - looking like they are just about to drop a huge poo ! The under body also seem more rounded.

With regards to the number of days, it's not an exact science. Most say royals will drop 28 days after pre-lay shed... my girl dropped her clutch of 9 eggs 23 days later !!

Intuitively that's what I thought - it's been a strange 'pregnancy' so far so I assumed this may just be an extention of that. However, from the threads I've read it seems like it is somewhat of an exact science when it comes to the pre-lay shed and how many days after they lay. I don't know if this is true, whether it only applies to some species (like GTPs) and not others, or if there is actually some wriggle room.

Not optimistic on the clutch even if it does materialise okay. Was just wondering if anyone else had, or knew anyone that's had, GTPs lay eggs outside of the 14-21 day time frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Premier Member

Last year I paired my royals, they locked several times so I thought that was that, but she kept eating and it was hard to know if she was ovulating or just fat through storing food.. She seemed to glow and shed when predicted..... but never went on to lay any eggs.

This year, I kept pairing her until she blatantly refused food (she has always had a good appetite) - I lost count of the number of times the two locked !! - needless to say she went on to lay a huge clutch for her age/size of 9 eggs each averaging 99g. Pleased to say that she is now back on the food just 10 days later, taking a small rat with gusto

Does your female GTP still take food ?
Morgoth likes this.

Malc

Old 22-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Last year I paired my royals, they locked several times so I thought that was that, but she kept eating and it was hard to know if she was ovulating or just fat through storing food.. She seemed to glow and shed when predicted..... but never went on to lay any eggs.

This year, I kept pairing her until she blatantly refused food (she has always had a good appetite) - I lost count of the number of times the two locked !! - needless to say she went on to lay a huge clutch for her age/size of 9 eggs each averaging 99g. Pleased to say that she is now back on the food just 10 days later, taking a small rat with gusto

Does your female GTP still take food ?

She is usually a ravenous eater but between two-three months ago (I would have to check my records to be precise) she stopped eating, which of course further indicated she was gravid. Then when she finally had her pre-lay shed (about six weeks after I thought she might), I assumed it was all systems go. Yet here we are on day 23 post-shed and still no eggs. She seems to be looking a bit more chunkier and 'lumpier' each morning but that's all.
Old 22-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Premier Member

I guess its just a case of sit and wait, keeping an eye on her as you are and see what happens.

Its a shame that no one with GTP experience has chimed in here.....

Malc

Old 22-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Forum Citizen

She's looking increasingly uncomfortable, strange coiling, kinda lumpy. Don't know if this is a good sign and means the eggs are imminent (not that I'm expecting anything other than a dire clutch) or if it's a sign of some major complication.
Old 23-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Forum Citizen

Still nowt. Opened the lid of the nest box so that the female can come out if she wants, may be lack of movement is causing an issue? Just want something to happen one way or the other now. :/

Tags
breeding , eggs , green tree python , gtp , pre-lay shed