Here my new viv for female burm I have some questions radiator or ceramic - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 19-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Hatchling

What's best to heat an 8ft viv radiator or ceramics
Attached Thumbnails
Here my new viv for female burm I have  some questions radiator or ceramic-20190918_202223_1568898023925.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 23

In that size viv ceramic is the only option the radiator is only 75w and an expensive option. If you can find a 500w AHS then you will find that will do the job well
Old 20-09-2019, 12:44 AM
Gold Star Member

A trough ceramic would be ideal for that. I use one in my 6' boa's viv

The only issue is that the company that made the custom guard has now stopped trading, so you would have to come up with someone who could manufacture one.

Alternatively you could make a box structure and fit it as a shelf. You would need to ensure the mesh and construction is strong enough to withstand the weight and strength of your burm.

Crude I know... but functional

A 150w trough should be fine for your viv seeing its in a lounge

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Hatchling

Iíve always used ceramics, having just just set up a new 4x2x2 I have used 1 75w radiator and it gets up to temperature (29c) no problem then runs at near 0% and up about 20% (Iíve got a Habistat digital dimming stat) power to maintain the temperature.

If 1 radiator isnít enough to heat the space you could always use 2.

The guards are an issue, everyone has sold out, I found 1 shop in France but they donít deliver to th UK.

This company https://www.aianos.co.uk can make bespoke guards but their minimum charge is £35 + vat and postage (£20), so about the same as the radiator.

I would definitely recommend a radiator (or 2 if needed) as its low profile so canít be seen, can keep a larger space warmer on a lower wattage and more specifically for a BRB it keeps the humidity up, unlike lamps which normally dry the vivarium out.
Old 22-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Gold Star Member

Sadly Custom Guards who supplied the two large wholesalers has nos stopped trading so the old "needle in a haystack" comes to mind when trying to find suitable guards for the radiators or trough ceramics.

Malc

Old 23-09-2019, 11:50 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Iíve always used ceramics, having just just set up a new 4x2x2 I have used 1 75w radiator and it gets up to temperature (29c) no problem then runs at near 0% and up about 20% (Iíve got a Habistat digital dimming stat) power to maintain the temperature.

If 1 radiator isnít enough to heat the space you could always use 2.

The guards are an issue, everyone has sold out, I found 1 shop in France but they donít deliver to th UK.

This company https://www.aianos.co.uk can make bespoke guards but their minimum charge is £35 + vat and postage (£20), so about the same as the radiator.

I would definitely recommend a radiator (or 2 if needed) as its low profile so canít be seen, can keep a larger space warmer on a lower wattage and more specifically for a BRB it keeps the humidity up, unlike lamps which normally dry the vivarium out.
There are some guards for rads for sale on eBay again atm. They are £10.00 more expensive than normal and only black but least its something. Alot of the distributors in the UK are saying that new stocks will be available from October. Time will tell.

I do not argue with fools as from the outside no one knows who is who.