To cut or not to cut, that is the question - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
OK I cut them... just a small "V" flap to see what's inside and check that it was alive.

Hard to tell exactly what I got in terms of lesser / pastel / lesser pastel or even normal, but some have some interesting patterns to say the least, and some look very light and defo have lesser in there....

Did I hit the odds ......?????

Egg number 4.... a totally pinky white snake with no markings

The good news is that all seem to be moving having been disturbed, but all I can do now is wait for them make their own way out and hope that they are all perfectly formed... I'll post up pictures once they are all out.

Oh and managed to cut the eggs without nicking any veins

Look forward to pictures! Especially of the pinky one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
Yours or theirs?
It was just as well the scissors were blunt ended... I was shaking like a leaf

Malc

Old 07-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishacoombes9 View Post
Look forward to pictures! Especially of the pinky one!
Here ya go

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 08:09 AM
5 Star Member

...but the strength of those veins say that they aren't quite ready. It won't hurt them, but if I saw one like that then i wouldn't cut any more.
al stotton and Zincubus like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Gold Star Member

Uhmmm now you have me worried... I checked them this morning and they are all still in the egg, no heads yet. They all appear alive but given it's now day 59 I'm beginning to get concerned, especially as they are (have been) incubated at 32c with 90-99% humidity
richardhind likes this.

Malc

Old 09-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Uhmmm now you have me worried... I checked them this morning and they are all still in the egg, no heads yet. They all appear alive but given it's now day 59 I'm beginning to get concerned, especially as they are (have been) incubated at 32c with 90-99% humidity
They'll be out when they're ready. I would be tempted to minimise the hole in the eggs.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2540 View Post
They'll be out when they're ready. I would be tempted to minimise the hole in the eggs.
The cut was a small V and the flap has covered the egg leaving the minimum exposure. I did see some cut almost a complete circle from the egg so they could poke the snake with their fingers - I wasn't going to do that.

Like most things on the net there are conflicting advice, so say cut, some say leave. Those that say cut normally say there is chance of the snakes drowning (which is strange as they have been in a fluid environment for 2 months) - Those that say leave suggesting cutting leads to premature evacuation of the egg....

Trust me this is the last breeding program I'm going to do.. It's not helping my anxiety issues
StuG, GT2540, richardhind and 1 others like this.

Malc

Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
The cut was a small V and the flap has covered the egg leaving the minimum exposure. I did see some cut almost a complete circle from the egg so they could poke the snake with their fingers - I wasn't going to do that.

Like most things on the net there are conflicting advice, so say cut, some say leave. Those that say cut normally say there is chance of the snakes drowning (which is strange as they have been in a fluid environment for 2 months) - Those that say leave suggesting cutting leads to premature evacuation of the egg....

Trust me this is the last breeding program I'm going to do.. It's not helping my anxiety issues
Drowning can happen because they reach a point of development when they need to breath air. A human baby is in a liquid environment in the womb but it still needs to be born and start breathing air. Just leave them alone; the small cut won't be detrimental. The deed has been done now - if drowning was ever an issue it no longer is. The babies will be ready when they are ready, but keeping disturbing them can be an issue - some clutches take longer than others to hatch, it isn't an exact science (honest) - there are all sorts of variables involved including the temps dropping slightly whenever you open them up.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Gold Star Member

Day 60 - I looked in on them this morning (visually - not disturbing the actual eggs) and still no change. Nothing sticking its head out.

The reptibator has been kept at 32.1 - 32.5c, and was only opened a couple of times to check the water levels in the base. Other than making the small cuts on day 56, and two candling sessions, the eggs have been untouched.

I appreciate that they will be out when they are ready... just concerned that for some reason this will go on for weeks and I should have left well alone... I don't want to be responsible for causing any death or deformity because of some factor I have overlooked and cut the eggs when they were still developing.
richardhind likes this.

Malc

Old 10-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Ultra Citizen

Good luck malc, can't wait to see them out and some pics, fingers crossed for you malc

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Malc likes this.