To cut or not to cut, that is the question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Gold Star Member
Default To cut or not to cut, that is the question

Guys,

Tomorrow is day 49 of the incubation of the 9 eggs I got from my lesser pastel, and whilst I know it's not set in stone that day 56 is the magic day, the eggs have been kept around 31-32c so in theory it could be any time in the coming week.

Seems a lot of videos on the net show the breeders cutting the eggs to see what's what, leaving the snakes to emerge a few days later... Just wondering what peoples opinions are.

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Regular

There is no real need to cut. I think mostly it comes from impatience and copying American's. I would only do it if one is taking way longer than the others and you are worried about losing it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
SnakeBreeder, GT2540 and Purgatory like this.
Old 28-09-2019, 11:56 AM
Super Citizen

I would only cut eggs if the surrounding ones had slit/hatched a day or so before. You have to be very deft to cut an egg without nicking the snake inside. Remember when they are close to full term they behave as if they were out of the egg, you touch them they move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Gold Star Member

Cheers guys.

I never cut corn eggs, so I'll let these take their course.

Malc

Old 28-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Forum Citizen

I don't cut and I've never liked the idea - it's impatience, quite a few inexperienced people have lost clutches due to cutting too soon and what benefit is there for the hatchlings?

You could argue Snakes should be able to use their egg tooth and hatch on their own - if they can't, there is likely a good reason and it's natural selection at work. For commonly bred species where we know about the correct incubation needed, often the weakest hatchlings or deformed for some reason don't make it out and tbh I wouldn't want those genes carried on in captive breeding.

My recent Thayers King clutch - all hatched out on their own, there was a 5 day difference between the first and last of the clutch pipping, I was starting to think I may have lost the last one but thankfully everything was ok.
SnakeBreeder, Jewel and Creed like this.
Old 28-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Ultra Citizen

Once one has pipped then it's safe to cut them. I usually cut them once I see pippage
Old 28-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Super Regular

Had the same problem with my black milk snake eggs, 4 were slugs but hatched 1. Checked the incubation time for the species which were between 65 and 75 days, and assumed because of the very warm summer, and the incubator temperature went a little higher than i wanted, that the egg would hatch earlier rather than later. So expected the egg to hatch around the 65 to 70 day mark. To cut a long story short, the egg hatched on the 75 day with one very health looking hatchling black milk snake. As for cutting eggs, unless its gone well past the incubation time for the species i wouldn't. I don't understand why you would cut eggs if the rest of the clutch are pipping.
Old 29-09-2019, 11:50 AM
5 Star Member

In general I would say don't do it. If the rest have pipped and one or two are still not then fine, but I see no reason to cut a whole clutch just because you think they have had enough time to fully develop - they might not agree.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Gold Star Member

It's day 56 and over the past two weeks the eggs began to dimple, to a point that I'm now getting a little concerned

Other than this they still look good and viable, no signs of mould or deterioration. Humidity is good and the tub has condensed up in the past two weeks which is also a positive sign..... but nothing has pipped yet.

Malc

Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Super Citizen

They look fine, you can always candle them to make sure all is well?