what is it about boas - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Regular
Default what is it about boas

i have been researching boas lately and i have been comings across the same sentiment a lot. many people talk of their snakes with affection but still say something along the lines of "if i had to chose/could only have just one, it would be the boa" and i wonder what is is about them that draws such a status.

i know its very subjective so i am just curious as to the reasoning behind it. is it as pragmatic as they are easy to care for/feed, or easy to handle. or is something a bit more intangible like they just have a certain demeanour and personality that makes you love them.

i had pretty much written off boas as a bit too big for me, but not long ago i started reading about the dwarf varieties like the hog island and i am thinking it may be something to look at in time.
Jewel and richardhind like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigotbush View Post
i have been researching boas lately and i have been comings across the same sentiment a lot. many people talk of their snakes with affection but still say something along the lines of "if i had to chose/could only have just one, it would be the boa" and i wonder what is is about them that draws such a status.

i know its very subjective so i am just curious as to the reasoning behind it. is it as pragmatic as they are easy to care for/feed, or easy to handle. or is something a bit more intangible like they just have a certain demeanour and personality that makes you love them.

i had pretty much written off boas as a bit too big for me, but not long ago i started reading about the dwarf varieties like the hog island and i am thinking it may be something to look at in time.
Boas really are great, there's so many paint jobs and some amazing locality boas which are really small, people think hogg Island are small but they normally about 6 ft, some true dwarfs are only 4 ftised to keep. Colubrids rat snakes and corns and they are really different. They alot more chilled (well most lol) guess I've been pretty lucky,
It's really to put a finger on 1 thing about them, just really great, my bcl (longicauda boa) are really nice and stay pretty slim and not. Much over 5ft,there colour change is crazy from youngsters too.
Good luck with your quest, might be worth going somewhere to have a hold of a few different types to see what your comfortable with

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Jewel and Rosieboas like this.
Old 28-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Premier Member

My thoughts for what its worth.

Size
With the average mature adult male 6' to 7', and females upwards of 8'+ they are an impressive size / bulky snake but one that can be handled by most adults (although I would always advocate the normal safety measures of having someone on hand if you struggle).

Personality
I've owned three "normal" boa's in 30+ years. By that I mean common, rather than dwarf / island species. Each one has had their own personality. One a male I simply never trusted full stop. Another a female she was more trust worthy than some dogs I've had. My current 8' male is somewhere in between. Once he's been made aware that he's coming out he's fine, but I wouldn't try that at night if he's hungry...

Markings
Ignoring morphs for now... the natural patterns and colouration of the tails make this one of the most attractive mid-size snakes. The arrow shaped head, bat-wing saddles, and in some cases perfect red triangles outlined in white on the tails just makes them appealing. Now throw in some genetic enhancements and (in some cases) all the above gets taken to another level.

Size (again)
Put all the above into a smaller more manageable package such as a dwarf island species and you have catered for all the markets. A chunky looking snake, nicely marked, possibly a decent temperament and no larger than a decent Royal python !

These are just some of the many reasons IMO boa's are so cherished by their owners

Malc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Hatchling

I only keep boas, and it's funny as I still can't say just one thing that made me choose them over other species. It's not that I think they are superior in any way, I was fascinated by all reptiles as a kid but when I held my first boa I just connected with them more than other species.
When you hold them, their movements are very slow and deliberate. They are curious about you and are not just constantly trying to get away or hide as I've found with some other species.
My boyfriend prefers the personality of retics and keeps a couple of super dwarfs, he likes the more "extreme" attitude where I prefer to open the viv and not have a snake come out like a jack in the box at my face

Not saying all boas have a perfect temperament by any means, I find some can be very viv defensive. But even my "worst" boas are always calm and a pleasure to handle once out and will give you a lot of warning if they are in a bad mood.

As Rich said, you should go and handle a few different species and see how you feel about them, as its hard to put into words why I love them so much
al stotton, Jewel, JackR and 2 others like this.
Old 30-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Premier Citizen

Over the years i've kept a few different species from the giants to the very small. I only have a few snakes now all of which are boas. Each of them has a different personality. They vary quite a bit in size my biggest being a tad over 8ft. I had a male in the past who i aptly named Humphrey as he always seemed to have the hump. Would always hiss open mouthed at me when getting him out . However once he was out he would curl up with me and just chill. My big 8ft femle will sometimes open her mouth almost half heartedly but also just chills on sofa with me. I enjoy their company , they arent all over the place and will settledown with me where as any other species i have kept with the exception of blood pythons all rather go explore . So for me i like their size ,build and the fact that i can just chill with them. For me my boas are my pets and i interact with them on a regular basis.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Premier Citizen

Good question,, for me the fascination with boas started when I was a lesser kid and glanced on one in a local pet shop in the late 80's.

As a kid my Dad wouldnt allow me to have one as they have the potential to grow alot bigger than the kingsnake I had. The more I looked at them in magazines and books the more I wanted one. Finally I got my first when I got my first job and wow, what a species.

As said above they all have their own way and do show a level of behavior difference from one to another. You can now get a vast array of colours and patterns should you want something that's a little different from a normal BCI. Brazilains are an amazing species that shouldnt be over looked when owning a boa.

I do not argue with fools as from the outside no one knows who is who.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:50 PM
Premier Citizen

I've always had a soft spot for red tail boas , supreme boids for sure
richardhind likes this.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Regular

even more intrigued now. its really interesting that it seems to fall into the intangible side of things.
the attitude appeals to me, at least what i have seen of them in researching. they seem to be confident, calculating and definitive in their movement. as if they weigh up how interesting something is before deciding if its worth checking out. which reeks of personality to me and is really appealing.
they look great too, i really like the pale colouring. the rainbows are stunning too but i like the sound of the island varieties as they seem to be a bit more arboreal. i dont know why but i love watching snakes climb.
al stotton and richardhind like this.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigotbush View Post
even more intrigued now. its really interesting that it seems to fall into the intangible side of things.
the attitude appeals to me, at least what i have seen of them in researching. they seem to be confident, calculating and definitive in their movement. as if they weigh up how interesting something is before deciding if its worth checking out. which reeks of personality to me and is really appealing.
they look great too, i really like the pale colouring. the rainbows are stunning too but i like the sound of the island varieties as they seem to be a bit more arboreal. i dont know why but i love watching snakes climb.
I have some that really do display such behaviour. One in particular shows a different level of awareness and the way it goes about its business. I think you will find that all the boas that have been mentioned on this thread so far will climb and give a great level of viewing benefit. All mine have cages with shelves and branches etc to get the most out of the space they have, plus it helps keep them a bit fitter
al stotton likes this.

I do not argue with fools as from the outside no one knows who is who.

Tags
boa , personality