IHS Doncaster Show 3rd November - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 03-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Regular

There are some invert and amphibian sellers too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdieSWA View Post
Sorry to crash the post but is it reptile only at this show or do Invert sellers attend?
Yes there's always loads of frogs, newts, snails, spiders and things with way too many legs, lol

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
heather08, al stotton and yardy like this.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Regular

Went to my first in September and had a great time. 3 hours drive each way from South Wales but worth it. I couldn't really appreciate some of the more unusual things there though. I was just happy to see some kingsnakes!

Can someone fill me in on the hate that these shows get? I'd guess it's because some of these animals spend a long time in transit and are put on display under bright lights in small boxes with nowhere to escape to. I did feel a bit uncomfortable with it myself seeing them being picked up and moved around all day. That said I picked up a crestie so it couldn't have affected me that much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Forum Citizen

Thanks for the replies, may see some of you there then
al stotton likes this.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Premier Citizen

From the days of the Alumwell Centre in Walsall til today's Doncaster venue the IHS has always presented Great Shows, long may that continue
heather08 and Malc like this.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 PM
Premier Citizen

Occasionally I'll find myself thinking/wondering......What would some of the old school keepers / breeders make of today's IHS Shows?

Some of those guys retired from the hobby and some are sadly no longer with us, but its 100% FACT on their shoulders these shows now stand.
Perseverance , Resilience and Sheer Bloody Will met the anti morons head on when the shows still went ahead during the 'dark' era albeit very cloak and dagger style.

Personally I suspect many of them would be amazed at the Shows of today and pleased that the IHS is still going strong, with the hobby overall in good stead.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:06 AM
Gold Star Member

Al, not classing myself as old school but when I got into the hobby in 1986 the exhibition scene was very different.

I joined (and later served on the committee ) the MKHS in 1990 and most weekends in the spring / summer we has a class room at many a school fete. There were societies dotted around most counties and each one had an annual exhibition with a good mix of trade and members surplus stock. Heck I used to take a freezer to most and would clear out of 2000 pinkies at every show ! The MKHS had a large annual show in two halls. The profit we made supplemented the running costs and kept subscriptions low.

Then over the years the antis made it harder and harder to host the shows, or for schools to invite anyone with live animals to exhibit at fetes. With the loss of income clubs and societies folded, and to a degree the hobby felt like keeping reptiles was dark and under the radar. So to see the IHS battled through this, and with the support of the race course not giving into the antis we still have an outlet to sell surplus stock, see unusual reptiles and purchase hardware all under one roof.

I think everyone new and old should thank the IHS for keeping the shows going and with their support hopefully the shows will grow even larger, with more venues around the country.

Malc

Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Ultra Citizen

FOUR WEEKS TODAY is IHS Doncaster Show
Sunday 3rd November
Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatatas View Post
Went to my first in September and had a great time. 3 hours drive each way from South Wales but worth it. I couldn't really appreciate some of the more unusual things there though. I was just happy to see some kingsnakes!

Can someone fill me in on the hate that these shows get? I'd guess it's because some of these animals spend a long time in transit and are put on display under bright lights in small boxes with nowhere to escape to. I did feel a bit uncomfortable with it myself seeing them being picked up and moved around all day. That said I picked up a crestie so it couldn't have affected me that much!
No, it's because the antis- the APA (Animal Protection Agency) & PETA are against our hobby & think we shouldn't keep reptiles (or any pets). They have stopped all the shows bar Donny, by scaremongering councils & venue owners into refusing to host them via lies & misinformation about the shows being illegal & spreading diseases.
The reason why they can't touch Donny is because of how the show is held- the IHS make it a private event with a day's IHS membership included in the ticket price, & the APA can't prevent private events from going ahead.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
The reason why they can't touch Donny is because of how the show is held- the IHS make it a private event with a day's IHS membership included in the ticket price, & the APA can't prevent private events from going ahead.
Personally I think its more than that otherwise any other society could do the same thing at their village / school hall. Offer a days membership as part of the entry cost making it private event.

The management of the location the shows are held at must be strong enough to shrug off any attempts by the antis to close the events

Malc