Orchid Bark changes? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 02-10-2019, 07:08 AM
Hatchling
Default Orchid Bark changes?

Hi!
In swapping to orchid bark; I have discovered it to be 1000x better than aspen - my best friend, the lady at the local pet store & myself thank you guys on this!
But my one question is..... How often does it need to be changed?
I currently have 3 bags in my 40 gal breeder - Crue likes to hide. It's kept extremely clean, as in as soon as she poops/pees it's taken out (because she's awesome enough in her timing to make sure I'm right there).
I've included some pics... It looks a bit dark due to misting & being 1 am currently.
Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Orchid Bark changes?-20191002_005056_1569992735030.jpg  

Orchid Bark changes?-20191002_005351_1569992770191.jpg  

Orchid Bark changes?-20191002_004909_1569992791694.jpg  

Orchid Bark changes?-20191002_004922_1569992808970.jpg  

Orchid Bark changes?-20191002_004936_1569992826353.jpg  

Orchid Bark changes?-20191002_005119_1569992854808.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Gold Star Member

When I used to use orchard bark as a substrate I would strip and clean it every three months. But being a natural product you don't need to throw it away and add new.

Any really bad bits that were covered in the white urate were thrown away, but the rest was placed in a bucket ( I used one of the large tubs that you get marine salt for fish tanks in as I also keep a reef tank) and a diluted solution of F10 added until there was enough to cover and stir the bark around. The bark was then removed and drained (I used a pillow case and went into the garden and swung it around like you do a lettuce to get most of the F10 out). This was then placed back into the viv, and would soon dry out.

I switched to Megazorb which is a paper based product as no matter what brand of bark I used the claim that it was dust free simply wasn't true. Megazorb, being so cheap it is disposed of each time I do my three month changes these days.
al stotton likes this.

Malc

Old 02-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

I use orchid bark too for my boas,
They sell 70litre bags on ebay and this works out so much cheaper for you than buying small bags from pets stores

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Malc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 10:35 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhind View Post
I use orchid bark too for my boas,
They sell 70litre bags on ebay and this works out so much cheaper for you than buying small bags from pets stores

I didn't realise how expensive that stuff was Rich.

Of course if its only for a couple of enclosures cost is not so big of an issue, for me personally it would be an economic blunder in terms of volumes used.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Ultra Citizen

Well works out alot cheaper than £8 for 10 litres at pets at home
I have over 12 boas and doesn't work out too bad and keeps humidity great
Old 05-10-2019, 12:39 AM
Gold Star Member

£7.99 for 85 litres

https://www.gjwtitmussltd.co.uk/p/10...s#.XZfJdEZKiUk

If you want it brown, soaking it in tea and then letting it dry works well
al stotton and danl like this.

Malc

Old 05-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post

£7.99 for 85 litres

https://www.gjwtitmussltd.co.uk/p/10...s#.XZfJdEZKiUk

If you want it brown, soaking it in tea and then letting it dry works well
That really is a great price malc, you have been using it a while now haven't you? , has the humidity been fine with it

Old 05-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Gold Star Member

Rich, I'm really happy with it. Humidity has been fine, and in fact my royals have had less issues shedding whilst on Megazorb than when I used orchard bark.

The only thing I would change would be the colour. The grey colour tends to make it look artificial. If it was a nice brown then it would look more Earth like. I did experiment with various foodsafe products and found tea stained the product nicely, and didn't cause the product to loose any of its qualities. But it would take quite a bit of fuffing around to get the volume used in my four vivs nice and brown !

Humidity in the vivs are 61%-64% this morning, but then its 66% outside and 72% in the room as the wife has a lot of washing airing in the same room

Malc

Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Rich, I'm really happy with it. Humidity has been fine, and in fact my royals have had less issues shedding whilst on Megazorb than when I used orchard bark.

The only thing I would change would be the colour. The grey colour tends to make it look artificial. If it was a nice brown then it would look more Earth like. I did experiment with various foodsafe products and found tea stained the product nicely, and didn't cause the product to loose any of its qualities. But it would take quite a bit of fuffing around to get the volume used in my four vivs nice and brown !

Humidity in the vivs are 61%-64% this morning, but then its 66% outside and 72% in the room as the wife has a lot of washing airing in the same room
That's really good news and a fantastic price too, that's what putting me off the most about swapping is the colour as I have a few paler colours and they would be just lost on it
May have to try it with my darker boas tho, but as you say doesn't look as natural

Old 05-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:

Can you not try a mix of the two substrates ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro