Diamonds - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 AM
Regular
Default Diamonds

Hello all I’m slowly thinking about getting back into snakes and by far think the Morelia group is for me. Love all carpet morphs obviously love gtp’s but There is something fascinating to me about pure diamonds. Ive had hybrids had one of the first jags then somehow got introduced to frank Schofield (by phone). I’ve seen him mentioned on here recently Is he around still I undeserved he was possibly old when I spoke to him a decade or so ago. He put me on a list and subsequently offered me hatchlings at 750 which I could not do at time and then was financially (house kids wife) forced out of hobby. Anyway I wondered if that guy was about and also if anyone was working with this snake and if it still commands that price I’ve got a little outbuilding that is insulated and I think lower temp species would work. Any help appreciated
Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Regular

I’m pretty sure a guy down south west got me in contact actually think his name was Harris I remember him having same surname as Paul harris who I think was a big carpet guy.??
Old 04-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Premier Member

Frank died a while back if I remember rightly. Paul Harris is still around though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Forum Citizen

I have Diamonds - all bred in Europe.

They typically go for around 400-500 each as hatchlings.

The thing you have to be careful with is lineage - there were a lot of 88% + hybrids bred, that are still around and may be passed off as pure.

Don't be afraid to ask questions about lineage, where the adults were from, how they keep them, age of the adults etc...

Typically Diamonds breed later than most Carpets - around 5-6 years minimum for Diamonds, they're fairly slow growing too, but would eat all day, every day if you let them. They are best grown slowly, fed sparingly and cooled over winter - beautiful species, calm natured, feed great, nice size and hardy, I love them.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Regular

Thanks for replies I thought he may have passed that’s a shame only spoke to him a couple of times but I think he was a bit of a python legend.i had Paul Harris line 50/50 jungle diamond but never knew/spoke to him think it was maybe mark harris I bought my jag from?
Are you currently in Europe or do you have European line diamonds. I’d be v interested in seeing any adults or hatchlings you have produced. Got no room for lots of snakes limited time etc so slow growing cold tolerant long brumating pythons would be perfect. I’d upset my wife for diamonds or gtps tbh. Do you slowly take temps down or blast them into the cold like colubrids. There seemed to be some secrecy years ago as to where these snakes were produced and how they were treated. I’d be interested in doing a long term things with a handful of these. Are there localities? Or was this just a sales thing. I remember at the time people talking about gosfords are these a thing.
Cheers
Old 04-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1975 View Post
Thanks for replies I thought he may have passed thats a shame only spoke to him a couple of times but I think he was a bit of a python legend.i had Paul Harris line 50/50 jungle diamond but never knew/spoke to him think it was maybe mark harris I bought my jag from?
Are you currently in Europe or do you have European line diamonds. Id be v interested in seeing any adults or hatchlings you have produced. Got no room for lots of snakes limited time etc so slow growing cold tolerant long brumating pythons would be perfect. Id upset my wife for diamonds or gtps tbh. Do you slowly take temps down or blast them into the cold like colubrids. There seemed to be some secrecy years ago as to where these snakes were produced and how they were treated. Id be interested in doing a long term things with a handful of these. Are there localities? Or was this just a sales thing. I remember at the time people talking about gosfords are these a thing.
Cheers

I live in the UK - brought my Diamonds over from Europe.

Ambient temps naturally drop for mine to around 10-15C from November until around March - I stop feeding during those months.
I still allow them the option to bask in the winter months, everything is on a timer, they may not choose to bask for days at a time but that's ok, the option is there.
You have to remember, they aren't colubrids - some people do brumate them like colubrids but I've read people tend to have more health issues such as RIs, digestion/stomach issues, infections in general, shortened lifespans. Even in the winter in Australia, wild Diamonds will bask during the day when given the opportunity.

Gosford is a line/locality, there are different bloodlines around in Europe.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Super Regular

I never tire at looking at my diamonds. Fantastic species that have high end looks yet low maintenance needs. If you do manage to get some you will not be disappointed.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Gold Star Member

Might be of interest for you guys into carpets

https://youtu.be/VcH7BXv6k-s

Malc

Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Gold Star Member

Gareth Hudson at Viv tek has hatchling diamonds available
Old 04-10-2019, 10:35 PM
Regular

Thanks very much. I may be priced out but I’ve always wanted these just think they are special
Cheers