How soon can I switch my 4 month old royal from hopper mice , too rats ? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Hatchling
Default How soon can I switch my 4 month old royal from hopper mice , too rats ?

Hey I Hope everyone is doin extremely well !! I took a amazing trip a too the NERD FACILITY (New England Reptile Distributer) and had an amazing time there ! Anyways I was wonder when I should switch my 4 month old royal over too rats and also what size rodent I should give ?Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Regular

Rule of thumb is that you can feed an item that weighs 10-15% of the snake's weight.
Or you can look at the broadest part of the snake and feed an item which is the same size or just slightly larger.
And as for when to switch from mice to rats most people would advise as soon as possible, it prevents the snake from getting too used to mice and potentially being finnicky with the switch.
In addition, rats are considered to be more nutritious and will therefore aid healthy development/growth of the snake.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Hatchling

Ok cool that’s good too know ! I’ve read and also heard from many sources that the switch can sometimes be difficult.. my loca pet shop doesn’t offer rats as feeders so I have too order online. Since I can’t really see the rats I’m not sure what size too order , (something that’s close too a mouse hopper)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjeeman View Post
Rule of thumb is that you can feed an item that weighs 10-15% of the snake's weight.
Or you can look at the broadest part of the snake and feed an item which is the same size or just slightly larger.
And as for when to switch from mice to rats most people would advise as soon as possible, it prevents the snake from getting too used to mice and potentially being finnicky with the switch.
In addition, rats are considered to be more nutritious and will therefore aid healthy development/growth of the snake.
Hope that helps.
Whilst a lot of that is true, the skeletal structure of mice for a given size will be more developed when compared to a rat at the same physical size, so consider sticking with mice for now.

However there is also no real need to migrate from Mice to Rats. African Soft Furred mice (often called multis) are the snakes natural diet, and these are high in protein and less fatty when compared to traditional lab mice. An Adult royal will still be content on one large ASF Mouse a week. - something worth considering
benjeeman and PurpleRex like this.

Malc

Old 15-10-2019, 01:43 AM
Hatchling
Default Need some help with the genes ??

Need some help figuring this girl out ? Dads -Banana/Het Pied ... Moms -Butter/Pastel /Het ghost
Old 15-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnova860 View Post
Need some help figuring this girl out ? Dads -Banana/Het Pied ... Moms -Butter/Pastel /Het ghost
https://www.morphmarket.com/c/reptil...el%2CHet+Ghost

It could be one of 8 possible outcomes:

Banana Lesser Pastel 50% Het Ghost 50% Het Piebald
Banana Lesser 50% Het Ghost 50% Het Piebald
Banana Pastel 50% Het Ghost 50% Het Piebald
Lesser Pastel 50% Het Ghost 50% Het Piebald
Pastel 50% Het Ghost 50% Het Piebald
Lesser 50% Het Ghost 50% Het Piebald
Banana 50% Het Ghost 50% Het Piebald
50% Het Ghost 50% Het Piebald

Without a picture people won't be able to make a suggestion.

Malc