Royal python won't eat - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-10-2019, 02:05 AM
Egg
Default Royal python won't eat

Hi I'm new to snake keeping and I got my baby royal about 4 weeks ago and she won't eat for me, she seems to have lost weight so quickly and is significantly thinner than she did when I first got her and her spine is pronounced and she has alot of loose skin. She is very active which I'm taking as a bad sign and I think this may play a role in her dropping weight so quickly.

The temps in her Viv are 89F hot side and 75F cold side, though at night this does drop down to 71F which I'm working on keeping up. The humidity is at a constant 50-60% and she had two hides one on the hot side and one on the cooler side (she favours the cooler hide).

Some things I've tried include:
Braining the pinkie
Feeding her at night and I've tried once during the day too
Feeding her when she's in her hide
Feeding her when she's out of her hide and active
Assist feeding (ended up covered in mouse juice and she still didn't take)

I'm not sure what else to do as I did try assist feeding and she didn't take it, it stressed me and her out too much for me to attempt it again so I'm asking for any advice on what I can do. She is so small and skinny I'm scared she won't last much longer without eating but I'm not sure if I'm just being overly worried. I waited a whole week from my last attempt at feeding to try again today. I don't want to try and assist feed again as I don't feel too confident from my last attempt.

I know this may seem like a silly question but I'm very stressed and would love her to just eat atleast once with me. Any help would be helpful 💖
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Gold Star Member

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...e-heating.html

https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...l-pythons.html

Have a read of those... and browse through the forum for similar threads - Its one of the most commonly asked questions.

Malc

Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Premier Member

For the moment i would be more concerned with how much weight you say shes lost. 4 weeks of not feeding is not enough time for her weight to drop so much that you can see her spine. i definetley advise book an appointment with the vet and get him to do a check for parasites.

As for feeding issues, take a read of those previous threads Malc posted.
wilkinss77 and yardy like this.
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa - (Soon to be arriving)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Gold Star Member

* Was the snake feeding before you purchased it. If it is only 4 weeks old then chances are it's not long shed and may not have actually taken a meal before you purchased it

* If it is 4 weeks old its shape sometimes won't resemble the adult and the back bone may be more pronounced. Difficult to advise with out seeing a picture

* Assist feeding is not something that you should not be doing so soon. It is far more likely to stress the snake out than to get it feeding.

* You need to provide details on how you are housing the snake - temperatures are low.

* Is that night time drop on the hot side or cold side

Malc

Old 05-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Egg

I'll have a look at the threads linked now, I've been looking through multiple forums over the past week. The night time drop is on the cold side the hot side stays constant but I think I've managed to fix it by placing a towel over the cooler side, through the night the temp didn't drop below 76°F.

I agree with the assist feeding, I'll avoid that for now. I'll weigh her today and see if the weightloss I'm seeing is actually weightloss or if I'm becoming alittle paranoid as she's not eaten. I'm going to contact the store as they had said she had eaten before coming home to me but I don't think I believe that.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 PM
5 Star Member

What does your baby actually weigh now?