Vivarium Shelves - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 05-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Egg
Default Vivarium Shelves

Afternoon all!

Seeing as I had some spare time today; I put some shelves in the 3ft Vivexotic's.

The baby super dwarf retics have done nothing but try and be as high as they can while in their quarantine vivs so this seemed like a good idea that can last them for the first year or so.

The shelf gives them access to a new set of temperatures (and light exposure), the sense of being higher which they seem to want to do a lot. And it provides a shaded and cooler area underneath the shelf as well.

The only thing I did extra after the photo was add a bead of silicone down all the sides (visions of stinky python piss getting down the back scared me into it).

The shelves are from B&Q and they are branded "FORM". They're a little bit of a pain to fit into a corner like I have but very simple if fitted just in the middle of a cage. There were a fair few sizes available (the ones shown are 600mm), they are coated wood so super easy to wipe clean and there were a variety of fixtures/brackets available. I opted for the invisible mounting given the SD's will only be in here while they are small (the shelf can hold up to 10kg or 20kg evenly dispersed). But they do have standard L brackets and others.

Not too bad for less than £10 and a bit of silicone! (oh and they don't come with screws!)

Jewel and Cthulhu slumbers like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Gold Star Member

B&Q floating shelves... Nice one.

As a side note, we have two of them above work areas, and if you are careful you can fit recessed ceiling lights (LED) into them to illuminate the surface below. My wife's into crafting (cards and the like) so I fitted three into one of the 1100mm shelves which is perfect for her. I've put one in the middle of a 1100mm shelf in the study above a desk - saves on buying dedicated desk lamps

Not suggesting you do the same in the vivs.... but its always an option
Jewel and Legacy Dave like this.

Malc

Old 05-10-2019, 09:52 PM
Egg

Definitely sounds like something worth exploring for the future thanks Malc,

I like these shelves and i'd like the same principle in their adult cages albeit on a larger scale - so under shelf lighting might be a great idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Gold Star Member

These are the ones we purchased - no transformer required - and shallow depth so even fit in the thinner of the two depths that these shelves come in

Malc

Tags
diy , shelf , shelves , vivarium