Hognose Snakes! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Super Citizen
Default Hognose Snakes!

Iím thinking of getting a pair of hognose. Iíve always loved these snakes since I was little and I fell in love with a hognose in Exeter (Wish I got him now) he was white with a black stripe down his belly and some black patterning on top if anyone knows what morph!
I would like some high end morphs you rarely see if possible! If anyone knows where is best to search for some hognose it would be much appreciated! Thankyou!
And any ideas on setups would be great, I would prefer to go bioactive like all my other vivariums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishacoombes9 View Post
Iím thinking of getting a pair of hognose. Iíve always loved these snakes since I was little and I fell in love with a hognose in Exeter (Wish I got him now) he was white with a black stripe down his belly and some black patterning on top if anyone knows what morph!
I would like some high end morphs you rarely see if possible! If anyone knows where is best to search for some hognose it would be much appreciated! Thankyou!
And any ideas on setups would be great, I would prefer to go bioactive like all my other vivariums

Just be aware if set up properly (plenty of substrate) you'll rarely see them apart from feeding time. But don't let that put you off. I use a few inches of aspen myself as it's easy to clean whilst still allowing natural behaviour.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
I’m thinking of getting a pair of hognose. I’ve always loved these snakes since I was little and I fell in love with a hognose in Exeter (Wish I got him now) he was white with a black stripe down his belly and some black patterning on top if anyone knows what morph!

Hognoses are so widely bred you won't struggle to find a pair.
There are a few things to be mindful of before keeping them.
Firstly, they are venomous. While the venom is mild, and they are midfanged (I dont describe them as rear ranged because the fangs are under the eye, not at the rear of the jaw), a number of people have described some quite significant lasting side effects, the worst I have seen being lasting damage to the immune system. Generally though, envenomated bites have only been due to the snake mistaking keeper for food.
Secondly they have different care needs to other species from the same region. They like it hot, a basking area of 34C will regularly be used.
Third, they have a high metabolism. They are better reared with small food items at short intervals rather than a big meal at weekly intervals.
Finally established feeder. Make sure that any hognose you buy has had at least 6 consecutive unscented meals. As hatchlings they can be very fussy and that can persist into adulthood. As an example I have a two year old male who will only take fluffs scented with fish. He will not take anything else. If you get one that has had plenty of unscented feeds without any breaks then you should be fine. Any non feeding afterwards will be due to husbandry, and usually because the temperature is too low.
They are VERY enthusiastic feeders when feeding well so long tongs are essential. From personal experience I can ensure you you do not want to receive an envenomated bite!
wilkinss77, Malc, Zincubus and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Hognoses are so widely bred you won't struggle to find a pair.
There are a few things to be mindful of before keeping them.
Firstly, they are venomous. While the venom is mild, and they are midfanged (I dont describe them as rear ranged because the fangs are under the eye, not at the rear of the jaw), a number of people have described some quite significant lasting side effects, the worst I have seen being lasting damage to the immune system. Generally though, envenomated bites have only been due to the snake mistaking keeper for food.
Secondly they have different care needs to other species from the same region. They like it hot, a basking area of 34C will regularly be used.
Third, they have a high metabolism. They are better reared with small food items at short intervals rather than a big meal at weekly intervals.
Finally established feeder. Make sure that any hognose you buy has had at least 6 consecutive unscented meals. As hatchlings they can be very fussy and that can persist into adulthood. As an example I have a two year old male who will only take fluffs scented with fish. He will not take anything else. If you get one that has had plenty of unscented feeds without any breaks then you should be fine. Any non feeding afterwards will be due to husbandry, and usually because the temperature is too low.
They are VERY enthusiastic feeders when feeding well so long tongs are essential. From personal experience I can ensure you you do not want to receive an envenomated bite!
Feeding response is absolutely ridiculous. More so than retics although obviously far smaller. My lass will literally start biting the sides of her enclosure or whatever else that she touches including herself. I now put the mouse in her feeding tub and tail her so I guide her mouth right to the mouse. She'll still try and bite the bottom of said tub.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Premier Member

Hognose snakes are great, i love my little guy! I guess reading everyone's responses just shows how individual every snake can be, my male is always out and about exploring and hides away at night , he has such an attitude and will hiss & bluff strike constantly - it can be quite intimidating at times but i've learnt to be confident with him and just ignore it (he even hisses at his food for about 20 minutes before he realises it's dead and then eats it) In fact, he would refuse to eat anything larger than a pinky for many many years, when offered anything larger he would simply hiss, bluff strike and hide from it Thankfully he is slowly getting over this odd behaviour!

I keep my male in a bioactive setup and he's doing extremely well in it- His substrate is a mix of 'Bioactive herps -Arid Mix & sand' (I can't remember which brand of sand, exo terra perhaps?!) I also used 'Zoo med excavator clay' to create burrows and hides for him - this was super fun but stupidly messy haha!. Forget rooted plants, these snakes will just trash them from constantly burrowing. My male has a set of air plants in his enclosure which work really well with his husbandry requirements, i get mine from https://www.craftyplants.co.uk/ & have not been dissapointed. He has a few clean up crew bugs in with him which do a fantastic job -Over the years I've had success with Mealworms, mealworm beetles, morio worm beetles. If you are looking to keep him in a bioactive enclosure remember to set this up well in advance of getting him/her, it will need time to settle and establish - I usually leave my bioactive enclosures empty for around 6 months.

My biggest regret with Hognose snakes is when i purchased my first one, he was a teeny tiny baby bought from a reptile show, he was adorable but i could not get him feeding at all, i tried every trick in the book including scenting with frogs, tuna, etc etc but unfortunatley he never ate & he eventually passed away. The vet which i took him to reckons that he was never an established feeder, it was awful & i felt so stupid and guilty for purchasing such a small snake. My next hognose was a year old, nice size and a decent feeding response, i also bought him from a reputable shop whom were very very supportive - i guess what i'm trying to say is just make sure the hognose is a bit grown on and feeding well on rodents
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa - (Soon to be arriving)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Old 07-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Super Citizen

Thatís all. I must say with a snake I am Ďwaryí of any biting due to having a 4 year old who loves handling our currently reptiles etc and helping with the feeding. With Cresties itís no worry as all are dopey and she can get them out herself and Handle, even the babies! Is a hognose a good snake for handling especially with my girl? If not what snake would be? My other half used to have a few royals before moving and she would handle them perfectly!

Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Thatís all. I must say with a snake I am Ďwaryí of any biting due to having a 4 year old who loves handling our currently reptiles etc and helping with the feeding. With Cresties itís no worry as all are dopey and she can get them out herself and Handle, even the babies! Is a hognose a good snake for handling especially with my girl? If not what snake would be? My other half used to have a few royals before moving and she would handle them perfectly!

I'd say it depends on the individual snake, I personally don't let my young nephews handle my Hognose as he can be super hissy and bluff strikes a lot but then other people may have super docile and calm Hoggies. From my experience, i always stick to snakes like the Cornsnakes, Royal etc etc for when my nephews come over and want to handle a snake. They are usually great for young kids but again there is always the odd one or two which are defensive and can be bitey - It's like any animal, they are all individual & unfortunatley 1 rule doesn't fit all.
0.0.1 cali king snake-cali (mums),
1.0.0 Hognose - Pinnochio
0.1.0 Royal Python - Daenarys
0.1.0 Sand Boa - Dune
1.0.0 Green Bush Ratsnake - Forest
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa - (Soon to be arriving)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Nyx
0.0.4 Whites Tree Frogs - Gluttony, Ru, Hodor, Pontiff

Other pets
0.2.0 Siamese cats - Nala and Duchess,
Old 07-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Gold Star Member

If you want something the kids can handle then based on the above comments I would suggest getting something like a Corn / Royal or King snake. They still may bite, but if your nephews get bitten there is less chance of the experience resulting in an A&E visit (and putting your nephews and their parents from liking snakes and visiting you)
Zincubus likes this.

Malc

Old 07-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:

Wouldn't let a child handle a hognose. Even if they weren't mildly venomous they hang on when they do. Well mine does.
Malc and Zincubus like this.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Super Citizen

Ok so hognose for adults only! Didnít realise they could be so feisty to be honest! Just always loved the look of them and that little about! Haha.
Corns are lovely too my fiend used to breed them and they seem rather chilled out, Iím actually waiting for a reply on a Calico Royal, they look interesting coloured wise!